new defensive package

tvooz

Reaction score
if ellis is healthy, could we go with our best 4 pass rushers... ellis, hatcher, ratliff, and ware... and then play roy as a pseudo linebacker with an extra nickle back. essentially, i would like to drop 7 into coverage and rush the daylights out of brady. i wouldn't bother with defending the run.

four down lineman ( switch back to 4-3 defense ):
ellis
hatcher
ratliff
ware

two linebackers:
james
ayodele

five dbs:
newman
reeves
jones
rw
hamlin

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I just hope Ellis can play a mojoirt of the game and he shows no ill effects and doesn't re-injure his achilles.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tvooz;1705195 said:
if ellis is healthy, could we go with our best 4 pass rushers... ellis, hatcher, ratliff, and ware... and then play roy as a pseudo linebacker with an extra nickle back. essentially, i would like to drop 7 into coverage and rush the daylights out of brady. i wouldn't bother with defending the run.

ellis
hatcher
ratliff
ware

two linebackers:
james
ayodele

five dbs:
newman
reeves
jones
rw
hamlin

There is some merit in what you suggest. When we overwhelmed the Eagles in Texas Stadium a couple years ago we opened with our Nickel package. The trouble is that NE does like to run the ball too-- much more so than the Eagles did at that time. Hatcher isn't very good (yet) vs the run... and probably less so as a DT. I could see Spears/Canty/Ratliff sharing the two DT spots. Likewise I could see Ellis/Spencer/Ware/Hatcher sharing the two DE spots.

That being said I'm thinking that we'll still open up in our base 3-4.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I would like to see a lot of Pat Watkins out there today. If anything, he's probably the best suited to "try" and cover Moss because of his size and ability to press him off the LOS.

JerryFan

Reaction score
Vertigo_17;1705325 said:
I would like to see a lot of Pat Watkins out there today. If anything, he's probably the best suited to "try" and cover Moss because of his size and ability to press him off the LOS.

You can't seriously believe this do you? There is a reason Watkins is a FS. I suspect we will see Watkins but he sure as heck won't be playing press coverage on Randy Moss.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
JerryFan;1705332 said:
You can't seriously believe this do you? There is a reason Watkins is a FS.

you realize that our tallest CB is 5'10 right. I'm not advocating that Watkins plays him 1 on 1, but switch it up and press him off the LOS. Throw something at him to "try" and slow him down or push him off his routes.

what is your suggestion for covering Moss?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Vertigo_17;1705325 said:

We don't need a deer in head lights, we need a ball hawk:cool:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Vertigo_17;1705335 said:
you realize that our tallest CB is 5'10 right. I'm not advocating that Watkins plays him 1 on 1, but switch it up and press him off the LOS. Throw something at him to "try" and slow him down or push him off his routes.

what is your suggestion for covering Moss?
I think it's an opportunity to drop Watkins in and maybe play Roy near the OLine maybe?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
tvooz;1705195 said:

ellis
hatcher
ratliff
ware

two linebackers:
james
ayodele

five dbs:
newman
reeves
jones
rw
hamlin

Where is Spencer in there... I really think Spencer stir things up in the backfield and is really starting to turn it on when he is to rush the passer.

I would expect we see more of this lineup in passing situations:

Ellis Ratliff (Hatcher at times) Spencer with Ware lining up on either side on the line

Chuck 54

Reaction score
tvooz;1705195 said:

ellis
hatcher
ratliff
ware

two linebackers:
james
ayodele

five dbs:
newman
reeves
jones
rw
hamlin

We're not worth a damn rushing 4 down linemen...Ware isn't all that good at it either.

I much prefer going with the basic 3 and blitzing Ware and Ellis/Spencer from various spots....we're not very good straight up with the pass rush, but we're better when we can bring guys from different angles and spots...we have to surprise the Pats with our bitzes...we won't beat them lining up a four man rush and letting them see where we are coming from, imo.