New Game!!!... Mock Commander's Cut list

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I just heard Mark Maske of the Washington post state of the Tony Kornheiser show that the meeting this morning betweeen the owners and Taglibue was for Tags to let the Owners know there would be no more negotiations.

Therefore the Commanders have to cut about $20 million off their roster to get under the cap. Some have speculated that is about 15-20 players.

Who can come the closest?:suxskins:

conner01

Reaction score
i don't think you will see them cut alot of the premeier players. here is why. if a guy has remaining bonus money prorated that is higher than his 06 cap number then it will cost more to cut him than keep him. it's gonna be interesting to see how this shakes out but you can look at what a guy got for a bonus and how much is left and see if it's cheaper to cut or keep, guys like arrington will be very tough to cut cause they have more bonus money that will come due than there cap number if you keep them

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
They are going to have to redo a bunch of contracts. That and cut some players. Not real big names though. They've already restructured Brunells, and Portis's. My guess is we'll hear about some more today.

The good news is, even if they don't cut half their team, they are really only buying themselves time. Spending money in the future to hold thier team together now. That's a plan that no NFL team has won with longterm.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Charles said:
I just heard Mark Maske of the Washington post state of the Tony Kornheiser show that the meeting this morning betweeen the owners and Taglibue was for Tags to let the Owners know there would be no more negotiations.

For starters (no pun intended) Ramsey!

Jay

Reaction score
I got a feeling Arrington may be gone today.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Heck, with the 7 day grace period, I would not be surprised if they didn't cut anybody today.

NotReally

Reaction score
I got a feeling Arrington may be gone today.

I'm not sure, but I think the way his contract is structured it will cost them MORE to cut him than to keep him.

playit12

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Here this will help. You're looking for players where the column "R Fee" is less than the column "2006".

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap_files/sheet003.htm

Does RFee take into account the tule of 51? That is the cost to replace the player with someone of minimum salary? If not the you can add around 250k to the cost of each of those RFees. In the case of someone like Lavar that value is really higher. What are the odds that an Undrafted Rookie Free agent is going to be an equal replacement for Lavar? You have to think about what the cost of an equal (or at least starting quality) replacement would be. I'd say the going price for a LB that can step in and start is at least 1 million. Linebacker was not a position of depth for the SKins last year. They only draft pick they are grooming from last year couldn't make it on the field and, in my opinion, is going to be too slow to every play well in that system. He'll be a decent backup and good STs producer. Which is what you expect from a 3/4th rounder.

clayman

Reaction score
If they cut Lavar it won't be for salary relief but for being over his antics and gap between potential and performance.

playit12

Reaction score
I don't think they will cut too many guys today.. but eventual cuts would likely be...

Patrick Ramsey
Walt Harris
Brandon Noble
Matt Bowen
Cory Raymer
Ryan Clark (I didn't see his name on the list, but he is certainly gone)

Guys that are also possible but the team will try harder to keep
Pierson Prioleau
John Hall
James Thrash

I think Thrash and maybe Harris would be willing to restructure their deals to lower the cap charge. Noble was looking at retirement already, Raymer is gone, Bowen's cap charge is much greater than his market worth, so he might also restructure, and Ramsey is gone.

As for the quality of those guys...

Ramsey can start in this league
Harris started at CB last year but is probably better at the Nickel at this point. He's at least as good as Aaron Glenn in that regard.
Thrash was a good #3 WR and a better ST guy. I think the team wants to keep him and his leadership.
Hall could certainly start somewhere.
Bowen is horrible... He and Clark were the single biggest weakness on the Skins last year. They will absolutely draft a replacement SS.

playit12

Reaction score
clayman said:
If they cut Lavar it won't be for salary relief but for being over his antics and gap between potential and performance.

I don't think it helps them to cut him this early. I think they will hold out on him till then end. They really need some depth at LB, and if they can't pick up enough players, they'll keep him around one more year. He talks too much, but no one has ever doubted his willingness to try and help the team on the field. He's a player, and regardless of the past, he'll play for them again if they keep him around.