New player integration

Verdict

Reaction score
I am curious of informed poster's perception on how fast a new player can meaningfully integrate into a new team. I realize some positions are easier than others.

Suppose we pick up a key player at the final 53 cut down. How long would it take for that player to have a meaningful role on the team, by position?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
True.
I wanted to emphasize "informred". Less scrolling through "ill-informed".
So,you two fellers of that lackadaisical tribe who only dig yer' horse shoe machine gun pit half deep& no tapered hand grenade kicker sump holes ,heh?,,,,well, yer' recon team done told you the important filler part of their sand bag,,,they were culled from their primary unit for a reason,,, prolly only 20% of those that are lucky enough to be looked at by another outfit actually have that proverbial " light bulb" flip on and grab that upper end gear on their power train ,,,yer fortunate I've took this amount of time just in the orientation of yer mugs pointing toward the FEBA,,,o_O

csirl

Reaction score
Will normally take 3-4 weeks for most players unfamiliar with the gameplan to learn enough to contribute.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
So,you two fellers of that lackadaisical tribe who only dig yer' horse shoe machine gun pit half deep& no tapered hand grenade kicker sump holes ,heh?,,,,well, yer' recon team done told you the important filler part of their sand bag,,,they were culled from their primary unit for a reason,,, prolly only 20% of those that are lucky enough to be looked at by another outfit actually have that proverbial " light bulb" flip on and grab that upper end gear on their power train ,,,yer fortunate I've took this amount of time just in the orientation of yer mugs pointing toward the FEBA,,,o_O

Tell you what bro, I'll lend you this screwdriver, if you promise to tighten your screw.

PNGPIX-COM-Screwdriver-Vector-PNG-Transparent-Image-500x482.png

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may be one of those years we do not claim anyone off waivers. As we are deep enough at most places, many think we can trade some of our own, or teams will pluck them from us off waivers. :eek:

A S or DT, but as said, how quick can they come in and contribute. I think on D, not as long as some think it would take. Not if a vet player, which most we would be interested in would be. Any rookies would be on the PS after they clear waivers.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am curious of informed poster's perception on how fast a new player can meaningfully integrate into a new team. I realize some positions are easier than others.

Suppose we pick up a key player at the final 53 cut down. How long would it take for that player to have a meaningful role on the team, by position?
Like you said some positions are easier. We drafted Elliot at RB and it took him a few games to get his patience and read the blocks. But I think he was in a system in college that used the same blocking style so the transition is easier.

A lot depends on the system they are used to. A defensive player coming from a 3-4 to a 4-3 would likely have to learn a whole new system. The player has to be smart and learn the playbook and assignments.

One position I always wondered about was the WR. There is only so many routes and they generally know them all when they come out of college. So why is there so few that come into the NFL and make a immediate impact. They are awsome in college and can’t hardly make it in the NFL. Is it a position that’s hard to translate to the speed, do they have to learn to read the secondary? Is the coverages that much different from college? We are going to have a hard time this season. Beez is our vet. Him and Williams. A few second year players and a few FA. This is either going to work out well or be a train wreck. Don’t see anything in between.

LB is another tough one. LVE should be a good one but his rookie year will be tough. Lee wasn’t Lee his rookie year.

bandfan

Reaction score
Say a team has a new coordinator and picks up a player from his old team. I think the assimilation time would be fairly short, might even be better than everyone else because he already knows what he knows.....

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Tell you what bro, I'll lend you this screwdriver, if you promise to tighten your screw.

PNGPIX-COM-Screwdriver-Vector-PNG-Transparent-Image-500x482.png

:lmao:

I'll require a torx #4,,,if you would kindly cleanse & return mine from the confines of it being up yer butt, I'll gladly proceed with yer' suggested maintenance:thumbup: