New York Giants 1988 draft all over again??

VoR

Reaction score
I know Parcells wasn't doing the drafting back then, but he must remember how important his top two picks were that year.

1st round: #10 N.Y. Giants Eric Moore G Indiana
2nd round:#36 N.Y. Giants John Elliott T Michigan

Those two offensive lineman solidified the Giants O-Line for years.

Maybe we flip-flop and get a T in the 1st and G in the second knowing the line is the biggest weakness on the team. Jason Fabini and Kyle Kosier are probably at best swing type players.

The tackles that could interest us - Winston Justice (if we move up), Marcus McNeill, or Eric Winston. Guards in the second - Max Jean-Gilles (if we move up), Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, Deuce Lutui or Fred Matua . Daryn Colledge has also been mentioned as a guard candidate, but might be good at RT as well. Jonathan Scott would be there in the 2nd if they like him.

This scenario only works:
WR - T.O. has eliminated any chance of a WR in the 1st or second.
LB - "if" they think Kevin Burnett has enough potential and also have Al Singleton back healthy again just in case.
FS - "if" they re-sign Davis. They also might think Pat Watkins, Anthony Smith or Roman Harper will be there in the 3rd.
DT - "if" they think "Pepper" Johnson and Jay Ratliff will do fine as backups.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
VoR said:
I know Parcells wasn't doing the drafting back then, but he must remember how important his top two picks were that year.

Maybe we flip-flop and get a T in the 1st and G in the second knowing the line is the biggest weakness on the team. Jason Fabini and Kyle Kosier are probably at best swing type players.

The tackles that could interest us - Winston Justice (if we move up), Marcus McNeill, or Eric Winston. Guards in the second - Max Jean-Gilles (if we move up), Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, Deuce Lutui or Fred Matua . Daryn Colledge has also been mentioned as a guard candidate, but might be good at RT as well. Jonathan Scott would be there in the 2nd if they like him.

LB - "if" they think Kevin Burnett has enough potential and also have Al Singleton back healthy again just in case.
FS - "if" they re-sign Davis. They also might think Pat Watkins, Anthony Smith or Roman Harper will be there in the 3rd.

I don't think we do that. I think we will take a lineman or two, but unless we get super value, I don't think we dedicate our first two picks to what may amount to depth players for this season. All I can see is that we are looking for an impact player or two.

Woods

Reaction score
VoR said:

Another "IF" is that they don't think Colombo and/or Peterman can compete this year.

IF Colombo is healthy and Peterman can compete, then

Flo
Kosier/Peterman
Al Johnson/Gurode
Rivera
Fabini/Petitti/Colombo

That's already 9 OL. I don't think we keep more than 10.

I'd guess we will only take 1 OL the first day. On the 2nd day we may take another one as a flier.

From what I've been reading, Colombo seems to be progressing (i.e., playing racquetball, etc.). Unless we get good info on Colombo, it's difficult to make an assessment.

Alexander

Reaction score
Woods said:
Another "IF" is that they don't think Colombo and/or Peterman can compete this year.

IF Colombo is healthy and Peterman can compete, then

Flo
Kosier/Peterman
Al Johnson/Gurode
Rivera
Fabini/Petitti/Colombo

That's already 9 OL. I don't think we keep more than 10.

I'd guess we will only take 1 OL the first day. On the 2nd day we may take another one as a flier.

From what I've been reading, Colombo seems to be progressing (i.e., playing racquetball, etc.). Unless we get good info on Colombo, it's difficult to make an assessment.

Jerry Jones said plain as day that they were pleased with their numbers at tackle.

So is he lying or not?

I think our situation at guard is more grave than tackle. Fabini signing really cleared quite a bit up and you are right, it depends on Columbo. And don't forget, Kosier could always go to tackle if needed, that's part of his appeal.

I would still keep my eye on offensive tackle and if a good talent is available, take him. But to hear some talk, we are dead set on it. I don't feel that is the case.

Now guard? That is a different story.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think a guard is much more likely- we need a second young guy to start grooming to take over for Rivera. Especially is they do not see Peterman as the answer. Even then we only have 3 guards - you really need 4.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Guard does make more sense. I think Colombo won't make this team this year. However, Fabini is just a short term backup option. He's not going to be a guy that you put on the starting line. So unless the team is comfortable with Petiti as the starter on the right side, drafting an OT to play on the right has to be considered.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pokes28 said:
Guard does make more sense. I think Colombo won't make this team this year. However, Fabini is just a short term backup option. He's not going to be a guy that you put on the starting line. So unless the team is comfortable with Petiti as the starter on the right side, drafting an OT to play on the right has to be considered.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Fabini is a guy you feel comfortable putting on the starting line.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Then why has the word been that he's not a guy that the Cowboys want to have at starting RT for 16 games? He didn't sign for starter money, I don't view him as one.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Woods

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Jerry Jones said plain as day that they were pleased with their numbers at tackle.

So is he lying or not?

I think our situation at guard is more grave than tackle. Fabini signing really cleared quite a bit up and you are right, it depends on Columbo. And don't forget, Kosier could always go to tackle if needed, that's part of his appeal.

I would still keep my eye on offensive tackle and if a good talent is available, take him. But to hear some talk, we are dead set on it. I don't feel that is the case.

Now guard? That is a different story.

Personally, I think our best option on the OL is to take a guy who has the versatility to play both G and OT. For example, Joseph or possibly Spencer.

BP puts a premium on versatility, IMO.

Alexander

Reaction score
Woods said:
Personally, I think our best option on the OL is to take a guy who has the versatility to play both G and OT. For example, Joseph or possibly Spencer.

BP puts a premium on versatility, IMO.

He sure does. Ben Noll had a job for a year being that way.