News: News: Can Packers Handle Zeke And The Boys?

CCBoy

Reaction score
News: Can Packers Handle Zeke And The Boys?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/3242...237a3d8c20/news:-can-packers-handle-zeke.html

c5330838562aa6ae710f0252e76dcc22
The Packers’ Run Defense Is Absurdly Good  -  But Can They Handle Zeke and the Boys? Danny Kelly, The Ringer Kelly turns his attention to the unstoppable-force-meets-immovable-object matchup between the Packers and the Cowboys. Capers and his run defense will set out to make Dallas one-dimensional on offense. They want to take the ball out of Elliott’s hands and task their other star rookie with carrying the load. Prescott has been extraordinarily efficient managing the game for Dallas while Tony Romo rehabs his back injury, but he’s still relatively limited as a passer and has thrown just four touchdowns on the season. On Sunday, we’ll see the mythological battle of Hector vs. Achilles reenacted ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...st-rush-attack-meets-the-packers-stout-run-d/

Let's start with that Green Bay run defense. Through four games, the Packers have allowed their opponents to run for only 171 yards, an average of 42.8 per game. That's the second-fewest ground yards per game any team has allowed in its first four contests since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970, per Pro-Football-Reference.

And it's not as though teams just aren't trying to run against the Packers at all. They're facing 21.5 rush attempts per game, which is below the league average, but 2.5 more runs than the Steelers and Eagles, who have faced the fewest average rush attempts per game. Those 21.5 runs just aren't actually going anywhere, as the Packers have yielded a disgustingly low 2.0 yards per carry. That's the single-best figure for a team in its first four games since the merger.

How are the Packers doing it? Well, they're mostly just straight up dominating opposing offensive lines in the trenches.

Green Bay has stopped 32 percent of its opponents' rush attempts in the backfield, per Football Outsiders, tops in the league. Only two other teams in the last 10 seasons (2006 Vikings, 2012 Buccaneers) have stopped over 30 percent of rush attempts in the backfield. Per Pro Football Focus, they have not given up more than 19 rushing yards before first contact in a single game this season. Their opponents are averaging 0.31 yards per carry before contact through four games -- the NFL average this season is 1.56 per carry.

Football Outsiders also has a statistic called Adjusted Line Yards (ALY), which essentially attempts to sort out how much credit the offensive line should get for the running game on a per-carry basis; basically, how many rushing yards per carry does the line create, before the running back takes it from there? Through Week 5, Green Bay (obviously) leads the NFL in ALY against, with an average of 2.16 yards per carry. Football Outsiders has been tracking the statistic since 1996; 2.16 ALY against would be the best figure the site has ever tracked, and it's not particularly close.

On the rare occasions where a running back has broken through the Green Bay line, the linebackers, safeties, and corners have done an excellent job of keeping them from snapping off long runs. The longest run any opponent has this season is just 14 yards. The Vikings are the only other team that has yet to allow a 20-plus yard run...

https://theringer.com/green-bay-packers-run-defense-90058a5bbf6d#.9iwe5zajq

Capers and his run defense will set out to make Dallas one-dimensional on offense. They want to take the ball out of Elliott’s hands and task their other star rookie with carrying the load. Prescott has been extraordinarily efficient managing the game for Dallas while Tony Romo rehabs his back injury, but he’s still relatively limited as a passer and has thrown just four touchdowns on the season.

On Sunday, we’ll see the mythological battle of Hector vs. Achilles reenacted on the football field. We all know how that played out the first time, but while Elliott and the Cowboys’ run game look invincible, if Green Bay can get to their heel and collapse their rushing attack, the Cowboys start to look pretty mortal. It comes down to the Cowboys’ offensive line against the Packers’ elite, run-stuffing front. Whoever controls the line of scrimmage controls the outcome of the game.

superonyx

Reaction score
Those are very impressive stats by the packers run defense.
They have been manhandling opposing teams offensive lines.

Let's hope JG is ready to adjust if needed and uses Daks feet and play action/misdirection to keep the defense guessing.

This is the kind of matchup I would be excited to watch even if I wasn't a Cowboys fan.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I know the battle between #1 rushing offense vs #1 rushing D is getting all the attention-- but IMO, the outcome of the game pivots on whether or not we contain Rodgers and keep him out of rhythm.

Zeke will get his yards and while I don't think we have the success we've had the last 3 games, I think we do enough to score 20-24 points on the road. Will that be enough against Rodgers?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the battle between #1 rushing offense vs #1 rushing D is getting all the attention-- but IMO, the outcome of the game pivots on whether or not we contain Rodgers and keep him out of rhythm.

Zeke will get his yards and while I don't think we have the success we've had the last 3 games, I think we do enough to score 20-24 points on the road. Will that be enough against Rodgers?

If the game hangs on the Cowboys defense keeping Rodgers off balance we're already 4-2.

Eddie

Reaction score
Expectations are high, but this is a statement game. Looking forward to some great entertainment and seat of the pants thrills. I think GB eeks this one out.

The talk about Romo coming back will intensify.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
After this game the Packers will not be leading the league in run defense, next.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Prediction: Rushing attack will gash GB defense. This game will be the equivalent of Seattle game in 2014 for the team as a whole. QB controversy will continue to be narrative Monday.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Appearances can sometimes be deceiving though.

While the numbers say that Green Bay has been stout against the run, what they don’t say is that Detroit has the best rushing offense of any team they have played. Currently the Lions are 23rd in yards per game on the ground at 89.8. Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has 97 more yards by himself than the Lions do as a team.

The numbers say that Green Bay gets off the field a lot on third down. What they don’t say is that the Packers have played only one team that moves the chains on that down more than 40% of the time. That team, again, is the 2-3 Detroit Lions.

The Dallas Cowboys convert on exactly half of their third down attempts which just so happens to lead the league.

The numbers say that the Packers do a good job of stopping teams once they get inside the red zone. The have allowed four touchdowns in nine red zone visits by the opposition. What those numbers don’t tell you is that the Packers have yet to face an offense as potent as the Cowboys.

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/10/16/the-dallas-cowboys-will-beat-the-green-bay-packers-if/

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We will probably be required to have a successful outing by controlling the clock with an effective running game. Dak will definitely also be required to move the chains on some key 3rd downs. By doing that we would maximize our chances of leaving Green Bay with a "W." If not, then good luck.

I'm also not strictly discounting the possibility of Dak being successful with his passing doing some necessary damage but getting into a scoring contest with Aaron Rodgers would not likely present our greatest opportunity to produce a win vs. Green Bay. Keeping him off the field might.

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we come out throwing.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
This game is going to come down to Cole Beasley and Dan Bailey. Sometimes the smallest men do the mightiest things :yourock:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If the game hangs on the Cowboys defense keeping Rodgers off balance we're already 4-2.

Pretty much. I'm hoping we shock the world-- but would not be surprised at all if Rodgers comes out and lights us up.