Next season..

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Its amazing to see what garret has done these past 3 games with the same group of guys who were playing as bad of football as i have ever seen.

The offense seems much improved lately, and the pass blocking is getting better as well. They are doing a better job of picking up blitzes and adjusting routes to counter blitzes. Just think what we might be able to accomplish with romo in there next year. This offense is going to be hard to stop. If we can pass block like we have been lately, and the runninggame continues to improve, we should see a stellar season from our offense next year. Not to mention, we also get phillips back at tight end as well.

The defense appears to have tons of weaknesses though, which is amazing because its pretty much the same guys from last year. Spencer has disappeared and our middle linebackers are killing us. Its going to be tough to turn it around in one season, since it looks like we will have to make a lot of changes on that side of the ball.

Garret definitely seems to have this team motivated and playing with a lot of heart, which is something they have not done for a long time. In the past, when they got kicked in the mouth they would always fold. But these past couple games we have seen a different attitude from the guys.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
imo, it all boils down to fixing the o-line. Plain and simple. Of course, we need a ball-hawking safety (or 2), but o-line, o-line,o-line!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too early for me to project about players and coaches and draft. But I would like to see Mcgee QB now and see what he can do in a real game. See some of the other players too.

Also too ealy for this. Next years schedule, as we don't know if we will finish 3rd or 4th. But here's a link.

As it stands we have the normal H / A games against Eagles, Commanders, Giants. We play AFC north, H - Bills, Dolphins, A - Jets, Patriots. We also play the NFC West, so depending on our finish determines H & A games. If you flip our list with the Commanders list, if this chart is correct.
3rd place H - Seahawks, Rams, A - 49er's, Cardinals
4th place H - 49er's, Cardinals, A - Seahawks, Rams
Also will have a H game against a NFC north team and A game with a NFC south team. These 3rd & 4th place teams are currently Vikings / Lions, [Falcon, Buccs, Saints], Panthers

If an 18 game schedule, projected to be H - NFC South, A - Nfc North

http://www.scgffl.com/nfl_schedules/2011_nfl_sched.htm

tomsanders921

Reaction score
I agree about the oline. Free definitely looks like a keeper though, which is great. Aside from him, everyone is getting up there in age and we don't really have any young guys who look promising. Its going to be tough. Hopefully Kosier can stay healthy next year, but thats a stretch with his history of injuries.

I think we go corner in the first round. I would say sign a couple offensive lineman. Guys that are proven but not necessarily big name guys. Maybe draft a middle linebacker or safety in round two. We still need to pick up a nose tackle as well

sago1

Reaction score
During the game, Aikman made a comment about Jerry being overextended what with the new stadium. Did he mean Jerry spending too much time dealing with matters not directly related to the team? Or did he mean Jerry was overextended financially & didn't have the money to spend bringing in FAs, hiring new coaching staff, etc.?

Not living in Texas I don't have a feel what's going on there. I do know the new stadium cost about $1.3B. Arlington citizens are on the hook for $300M & NFL gave $100M toward the cost. Rest of the money Jerry had to come up but he probably financed most of that. Given the economic situation which began at least prior to 2008, it entirely possible it cost him a heck of a lot more in interest then he originally estimated.

There's even talk that he and the other NFL owners won't be changing coaches etc until the CBA has been resolved early enough to have an NFL season. What's the rumor mill in Texas saying?

Falcon554

Reaction score
Whats so darn amazing about it? This team with Wade made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. Wow how low can expectations go?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
tomsanders921;3719688 said:
Its amazing to see what garret has done these past 3 games with the same group of guys who were playing as bad of football as i have ever seen.

The offense seems much improved lately, and the pass blocking is getting better as well. They are doing a better job of picking up blitzes and adjusting routes to counter blitzes. Just think what we might be able to accomplish with romo in there next year. This offense is going to be hard to stop. If we can pass block like we have been lately, and the runninggame continues to improve, we should see a stellar season from our offense next year. Not to mention, we also get phillips back at tight end as well.

The defense appears to have tons of weaknesses though, which is amazing because its pretty much the same guys from last year. Spencer has disappeared and our middle linebackers are killing us. Its going to be tough to turn it around in one season, since it looks like we will have to make a lot of changes on that side of the ball.

Garret definitely seems to have this team motivated and playing with a lot of heart, which is something they have not done for a long time. In the past, when they got kicked in the mouth they would always fold. But these past couple games we have seen a different attitude from the guys.

I don't think it will be tough to turn it around in one season........

If we play the next 5 weeks as we have the last 3, I'll feel a lot better about our prospects in 2011.

Garrett needs to keep on keepin on.

Get these players on board with the program.

Disciplin, hard nose, attention to detail. He's already built up a nice bit of credibility with them.
Now we have to keep winning. Winning breeds confidence and beilief in the system.

We need these players to understand two things:
Garrett knows what he's doing and all they need to do is everything he tells them to.
They are good enough to win. Win against anyone, win every week. Provided they follow rule #1.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Rynie;3719762 said:
imo, it all boils down to fixing the o-line. Plain and simple. Of course, we need a ball-hawking safety (or 2), but o-line, o-line,o-line!!!

Cause the defense is awesome:ralph: :ralph:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;3719833 said:
During the game, Aikman made a comment about Jerry being overextended what with the new stadium. Did he mean Jerry spending too much time dealing with matters not directly related to the team? Or did he mean Jerry was overextended financially & didn't have the money to spend bringing in FAs, hiring new coaching staff, etc.?

Not living in Texas I don't have a feel what's going on there. I do know the new stadium cost about $1.3B. Arlington citizens are on the hook for $300M & NFL gave $100M toward the cost. Rest of the money Jerry had to come up but he probably financed most of that. Given the economic situation which began at least prior to 2008, it entirely possible it cost him a heck of a lot more in interest then he originally estimated.

There's even talk that he and the other NFL owners won't be changing coaches etc until the CBA has been resolved early enough to have an NFL season. What's the rumor mill in Texas saying?[/quote]

I can't speak to that, but it wouldn't matter if I could. Most of the talking heads in and out of Dallas don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

The absolute last thing I or any Cowboy fan need to concern himself with is the financial position of the team.

That's the one thing we can all have 100% confidence Jerry will always get right.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
ilovejerry;3719864 said:
Cause the defense is awesome:ralph: :ralph:

uh yeah..i said we need some safeties. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they are on the defense right? I agree with you, but imo o-line is the most glaring need.