NFC East after two games

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Here's how I see it:
1) For all the preseason talk about how every team would be tough, I always assumed that with such a tough schedule, little differences would get compounded and one team would end up with a lousy record, a la the Eagles last year. Commanders are strong early season contenders for this position. They are floundering. If and when the Saunders system starts working, it very well may be too late.
2) The remaining teams are mostly good but with glaring, important flaws. We have committed a lot of penalties so far and made a lot of bonehead mistakes. Our O-line has been up and down but still is an area of concern. The Giants looked absolutely awful for most of that game yesterday. The Eagles have no capability of running out the clock and yesterday's loss could be very damaging.
3) I'd say NYG and Dallas are in the best situations. Both 1-0 in division and both have gotten two tough games out of the way (at least on paper based on last year's record).

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I still see the NFC East finishing...

Dallas
New York
Washington
Philly

BigD_95

Reaction score
I still see the NFC East finishing...

Dallas
New York
Washington
Philly

Have you seen Eagles schedule? They might win the division on that alone.

I hate the Eagles and all but they look like one of the best teams right now and with those 2 extra easy games it will mean a lot.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
BigD_95 said:

I hate the Eagles and all but they look like one of the best teams right now and with those 2 extra easy games it will mean a lot.

The loss to the Giants will have a lingering effect on them, even if they win against SF this weekend.

The Eagles remind me of the Aikman Cowboys towards the end of his career. They lift you up to slam you down.

In addition, the Eagles are peaking too soon.

ghst187

Reaction score
NYG games are going to be bears. If Eli gets in a zone, we can't beat them. If he plays like the deer-in-headlights Eli that we have come to know and love, we have a great shot to beat them.
Philly is obviously a lot tougher than I thought they would be. Stallworth has been resurrected. Losing Kearse is going to hurt them a LOT. He was finally playing well and had a great surrounding cast. Now his vacated spot is going to be a glaring weakness and their passrush took a huge hit. If they can't get to the QB with their front 4, their CBs are hugely overrated and often toast. They are good but with guys like TO, TG, Plax, Shockey, Witten, Moss, and Toomer running in the division now...even good CBs have a terrible time covering those guys. It ain't like it used to be. The eagles left their CBs in way too many 1-1 situations and 6'5 vs 5'10 is tough everytime. The philthy game will be another tough one for us but I think our front 7 can stuff their run game (what little they have) and our DBs will get some INTs off Mcnabb. My biggest fear is him scrambling, but he can't do it quite like he used to.

I think the division is still up for grabs...clearly at this point Wash is at the bottom and will be a doormat unless they do a 180 turnaround.
The NYG and us are the most talented teams undoubtedly but philthy will be tough too.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Eagles are overachievers and it will show as the season goes on.

ravidubey

Reaction score
BigD_95 said:

We have similar schedules, the Eagles get their easier games in hte first half and their harder games in the second half. You have to play both halves by the way and both count the same.

lspain1

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
We have similar schedules, the Eagles get their easier games in hte first half and their harder games in the second half. You have to play both halves by the way and both count the same.

The Eagles have some depth issues that make this schedule particuarly tough for them down the stretch. They really needed to win that game yesterday to build up a lot of wins early. I think the Giants are the team to beat. We'll see.

Eddie

Reaction score
There's alot of heft talk today. We can't underestimate our NFC brethren. It's a tough division and it's going to get tougher.

We didn't play that well last night. But this board is getting alittle too brash. Don't forget, we were 17-10 in the 3rd quarter and just turned the ball over to the Skins in almost FG position.

It was a tight game up to then. Things just fell apart for the Skins after that.

But don't downplay the Eagles. They dominated the Giants but couldn't run out the clock. Once the Giants went into speed mode, the Eagles couldn't get their substitutions out in time on D. Don't expect this to happen too often.

Both teams are more than capable of handing it to us. I know we like to rag on little Eli ... mainly because he looks stupid, but don't fall for it. It's a very good NFL QB, and will take it to us if we let him.

We should enjoy this win, and temper our brashness. We have a bye to allow TO to heal. TN is up next ... and they're hungry for a win also. Don't underestimate our opponents. We've done that before and found ourselves on our butts.

But if we stay the course, play solid football ... we should head into the Philly game at 2-1. How we play against the Eagles in week 5 will determine our season early ...

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Eddie said:
There's alot of heft talk today. We can't underestimate our NFC brethren. It's a tough division and it's going to get tougher.

We didn't play that well last night. But this board is getting alittle too brash. Don't forget, we were 17-10 in the 3rd quarter and just turned the ball over to the Skins in almost FG position.

It was a tight game up to then. Things just fell apart for the Skins after that.

But don't downplay the Eagles. They dominated the Giants but couldn't run out the clock. Once the Giants went into speed mode, the Eagles couldn't get their substitutions out in time on D. Don't expect this to happen too often.

Both teams are more than capable of handing it to us. I know we like to rag on little Eli ... mainly because he looks stupid, but don't fall for it. It's a very good NFL QB, and will take it to us if we let him.

We should enjoy this win, and temper our brashness. We have a bye to allow TO to heal. TN is up next ... and they're hungry for a win also. Don't underestimate our opponents. We've done that before and found ourselves on our butts.

But if we stay the course, play solid football ... we should head into the Philly game at 2-1. How we play against the Eagles in week 5 will determine our season early ...

I have to disagree, our season starts at game 8 through 16 where we have historically tanked the season...we are currently bucking for position and the Eagles have the inside lane. The question is can they build a lead going around the first bend before the other teams try to catch them on the straight away?

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
The loss to the Giants will have a lingering effect on them, even if they win against SF this weekend.

The Eagles remind me of the Aikman Cowboys towards the end of his career. They lift you up to slam you down.

In addition, the Eagles are peaking too soon.
I'm with you. The fact that the Eagles were capable of losing that game speaks volumes towards their overall fragility.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score

I don't know. If we play well enough before and after that game (by beating Tennessee and then Houston and NYG at home), we could easily absorb a road loss to the Eagles. Could we lose to the Eagles and then turn around and win the next two? Sure, why not? That would put us at 4-2 going into the 3-game road trip.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The birds still fold when the heat gets too high. Their CB's are not good enough, and they cannot run the ball when they have to.
The Skins are getting exposed for having a whole lot less talent then many have thought. Brunnell is done.
MAnning STANK for 3 qtrs untill the eagles folded. And their secondary smells.
Our O line still has to be consistent- and we need to get pressure on the QB.
Overall we are the best team in the division. We have to play like it.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Eagles, may have it easy early, but who's to know if Brain can stay healthy the whole year, he alrady has problems. What about Mcnabb, how long can he play this good with Pedstrain WR's. Soon teams are gonna figure passing game out, and there goes the eagles offense. ANd if Kearse is gone for the year, thats gonna damage that ffront line. ANd Lito being out. Again, i really dont fear the eagles. THey have to PROVE there worthy, and that will start in week 8. WHen everyone else is getting there grove going, and there schedule starts to get easier

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
chinch said:
Gimme a break.

:hammer: Eli looked like crap for the majority of the game yesterday, regardless of what his stats say. The Eagles just couldn't close and let the Giants back into the game.

Mcnabb is the best QB in this division and it isn't even close right now.

alancdc

Reaction score
I'm not as worried about Eli as I am the pass rush from their 2 DE's. It is a field goal game wither way. Who makes the least mistakes will win the division. Kearse being gone has to hurt the Eagles, and as well as Westbrook played yesterday it is game 2 and his knee is having problems.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
NYG games are going to be bears. If Eli gets in a zone, we can't beat them.

I'm not that worried about Eli unless he's dumping off to Barber (who is amazing) or heaving a Hail Mary to Plexiglass (just too friggin' tall) - that's about all he does and most QBs could do that. Occasionally he finds a wide open Shockey. He doesn't have very good pocket awareness or accuracy. What DOES scare the crap out of me about the Giants are the DEs. Those are the mismatches that allow their D to give us a lot of trouble. Our D gives Eli trouble. Those games will likely be decided by turnovers and field goals. Unfortunately, those two areas haven't been our strong points in recent years...:(