NFC East Overdue For Conference Champ Battle

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
1972: Cowboys vs Commanders
1982: Commanders vs Cowboys (10 year wait)
1986: Commanders vs Giants (4 year wait)

We are at 20 years and counting since an NFC East battle for the title of conference champion. Whats amazing is that we have Gibbs and Parcells, still coaching in the same division. It would go down in the annals of NFL history if another matchup were to happen 20 years later...would just illustrate the longevity of their greatness.

Do you think the new playoff format of only allowing in 2 non-division champions has kept this from happening since 1986, or just the parity of the league in general?

Last time this came fairly close was during the 1991 season when the Cowboys were one win away from meeting the Skins for a third time in the NFC Championship. I remember being disappointed at not getting the chance to play the Cowboys for the NFC title that year. It always adds an extra dimension/fire to the game.

Since 1986, there have only been 3 times that any two teams from the same division have played for the conference championship whereas in the span of 1972-1986 NFC East teams collided 3 times in a 14 year span.

1989-1990: 49ers vs Rams
1992-1993: Bills vs Dolphins
2000-2001: Titans vs Jaguars

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
How about this:

We win the Superbowl

Washington goes 0-16

Yup, sounds good to me

Why would you want that? If that happened the NFC East wouldn't be the toughest division in football, and its been a while since it has.

I mean I know Dallas has a bad history against the Skins in NFC Championship games lol...but you do have the one guy coaching for you thats handed Gibbs his only NFC Championship loss.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Riggo, you'll get your chain pulled every now and then as part of a continuing rite of passage that any Washington fan faces on this board.

But I think the NFC East has had its "conference" battles from 1990 to 1993. Brutal grueling multiteam battles that produced a truly battle-tested division champion like the NFL has never seen in its history.

Those battles were so intense that they sapped the strength of the other divisional teams and made it difficult for them to advance in the playoffs having to face that extra game.

Reaction score
I agree a little. As long as we're there I don't care who it is. But imagine being on the losing end of a conference championship to a rival..... eckkk!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HeavyHitta31
How about this:

We win the Superbowl

RiggoForever said:
Why would you want that? If that happened the NFC East wouldn't be the toughest division in football, and its been a while since it has.

I mean I know Dallas has a bad history against the Skins in NFC Championship games lol...but you do have the one guy coaching for you thats handed Gibbs his only NFC Championship loss.

Why would we want to win the Superbowl?? hmmm... you're right. I say every team should be 3-3 in the division then win all the rest of our games, we'll all be 13-3. Sad part is one team would be left out of the playoffs. But at least the NFC East would be the best. That's all I want, Super Bowls are overrated.:lmao:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Riggo, you'll get your chain pulled every now and then as part of a continuing rite of passage that any Washington fan faces on this board.

But I think the NFC East has had its "conference" battles from 1990 to 1993. Brutal grueling multiteam battles that produced a truly battle-tested division champion like the NFL has never seen in its history.

Those battles were so intense that they sapped the strength of the other divisional teams and made it difficult for them to advance in the playoffs having to face that extra game.

Good point. I do think Dallas would have played the Skins tough if they'd met in 1991-1992 conference title game, and the way Dallas was improving from 1-15, to 7-9, to 11-5...had Skin fans thinking 1991 was our time before having to rebuild (we were the oldest team in the league I think). A number of great players coming to the end of their prime...particularly along the offensive line.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Good point. I do think Dallas would have played the Skins tough if they'd met in 1991-1992 conference title game, and the way Dallas was improving from 1-15, to 7-9, to 11-5...had Skin fans thinking 1991 was our time before having to rebuild (we were the oldest team in the league I think). A number of great players coming to the end of their prime...particularly along the offensive line.

i was 4 ............

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
I think this year's NFC championship game will be Panthers vs Cowboys. If both teams stay healthy for the most part.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Whoever is in it for the NFC, I guarentee you it won't be Seattle. They weren't THAT good of a team last year, got sort of lucky, and are way to soft of a team to repeat as NFC champs. I see them getting knocked out in the wildcard next year.
I think its Dallas vs NY in the NFC Championship.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
1972: Cowboys vs Commanders
1982: Commanders vs Cowboys (10 year wait)
1986: Commanders vs Giants (4 year wait)

don't forget:

1980: Cowboys vs. Eagles

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:
I think this year's NFC championship game will be Panthers vs Cowboys. If both teams stay healthy for the most part.

I have a feeling its going to involve 2 NFC East teams. Any one of the four making the NFC Championship wouldn't surprise me.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
Whoever is in it for the NFC, I guarentee you it won't be Seattle. They weren't THAT good of a team last year, got sort of lucky, and are way to soft of a team to repeat as NFC champs. I see them getting knocked out in the wildcard next year.
I think its Dallas vs NY in the NFC Championship.

If that happens my money is on the Cowboys, for the mere reason that Coughlin coached teams have been average in the playoffs at best.

As for Seattle, if they are in the wild card game it will be a home game cause they should win their division. I don't think they lose at Qwest. If they have to go on the road to one of the NFC East venues though, they are toast.

Gfunk

Reaction score
without a doubt the road to the Super Bowl in the NFC runs through the East

lostinomiya

Reaction score
although i was frustrated that we didnt do much for the offensive line in the draft the cowboys defense promises to be very strong this year and so do the giants and eagles' defenses too. washington did well at the end of last season and....i want dallas to win a division that is full of tough competition and great play and dallas just performs the best of them. i dont want a pushover season ever, a victory that costs nothing..i want quality and i want the cowboys to show the best quality.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Gfunk said:
without a doubt the road to the Super Bowl in the NFC runs through the East

Don't underestimate the NFC South. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, and Michael Bennett make New Orleans a different team; John Abraham will impact Atlanta's defense like Terrell Owens would our offense; Tampa was a playoff team and only got stronger; and Carolina looks like the best team in the NFC.

Both divisions are set to beat the crap out of each other this year, so that will give Seattle another inside track to HFA. The 'Hawks will have a tough time without Hutchinson, though.