NFL Admits Mistake on Polamalu INT

BigWillie

Reaction score
Just came across on ESPNEWS.

Quit a few folks were clamoring that it was the correct call. I guess not.

Also, I give major props to Joey Porter for not taking crap from the officials. So what if they fine you? Glad to see him step up and defend his team and be a vocal leader.

I'll get a link to the way the call is supposed to be interpreted as told by the NFL in just a second.

BigWillie

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309

----------------

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL said the referee made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball.

The league acknowledged Monday that referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have upheld the call, made with 5:26 left in Pittsburgh's win over the Colts.

After the reversal, the Colts went on to score a touchdown and a 2-point conversion, cutting the Steelers' 21-10 lead to 21-18. That led to a wild final few minutes and Pittsburgh clinched its win only when the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field-goal attempt.

On the play, Polamalu made a diving catch of Manning's pass, tumbled with it in his hands and got up to run. When he did, he fumbled the ball, then recovered. Colts coach Tony Dungy challenged and Morelli ruled Polamalu had not completed the catch.

About a dozen TV and scoreboard replays indicated otherwise. Had the call stood, the Steelers would have had the ball at their own 48 with an 11-point lead.

"The definition of a catch -- or in this case an interception -- states that in the process of making a catch a player must maintain possession of the ball after he contacts the ground," Pereira said.

"The initial call on the field was that Troy Polamalu intercepted the pass because he maintained possession of the ball after hitting the ground. The replay showed that Polamalu had rolled over and was rising to his feet when the ball came loose. He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch. Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble.

"The rule regarding the performing of an act common to the game applies when there is contact with a defensive player and the ball comes loose, which did not happen here."

The NFL almost never makes public the result of its reviews, although it did three years ago, when Pereira said officials should have called pass interference against San Francisco on the final play of a wild-card game with the New York Giants. The correct call would have given New York a second chance to kick a game-winning field goal in a 39-38 loss.

After the game, Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter said of the ruling:

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game; the whole world loves Peyton Manning. But come on, man, don't take the game away from us like that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello had no comment on Porter's statement.

In the past, players who have made such statements have been subject to fines.

calico

Reaction score
Not surprising. This has become a weekly thing in the NFL.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
And with all that, they will still fine the players that whine about the refs. Hey NFL, why not re-school your refs in their jobs. Instead of reviewing and admitting a mistake, which I appauld you for doing, why not just re-teach the refs to watch the damn game instead of the cutie in the third row. The officiating this year and last even have been horrendous and more games are decided by refs then ever before.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
that was definately a catch, and the steelers almost got robbed. I absolutely hate the Steelers, and really wished and thought they would lose, but that ref had to be blind to overturn that.

my jaw dropped when they came back and said that was not a catch, and that is with me screaming and hollering for Indy to win.

Steelers winning the game saved everyone from hearing a bunch of sh^t about them being robbed and I wouldn't blame them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thats an interesting caveat about the football move being only related to contact. That is insanely in favor of the offensive game which shouldn't me I guess.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
It was definitely an interception.

That said, considering all the missed calls that have gone the Steelers way over the years (vs. Houston, TD at the back of the end zone, no interference vs. Cowboys) I loved that they got robbed.

Screw Pittsburgh.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There is a difference between saying the refs made a bad call and saying the refs were trying to give the game to Indy. Standing up for your team is admirable, saying the refs have an agenda is not. I think he should be given a small fine. No suspension though.

CoCo

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
There is a difference between saying the refs made a bad call and saying the refs were trying to give the game to Indy. Standing up for your team is admirable, saying the refs have an agenda is not.

Bingo!

CoCo

Reaction score
GoCowboysGo said:
It was definitely an interception.

That said, considering all the missed calls that have gone the Steelers way over the years (vs. Houston, TD at the back of the end zone, no interference vs. Cowboys) I loved that they got robbed.

Screw Pittsburgh.

:lmao:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
RW Hitman said:
my jaw dropped when they came back and said that was not a catch

...that your response was typical of all sensible football fans.

If anyone has ever caught a football before, even in a backyard game, that play was the definition of catching the ball and controlling it despite what any rule interpretation says.

Fortunate it didn't play in a loss for the Steelers or the league would have really heard from fans in general.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
There is a difference between saying the refs made a bad call and saying the refs were trying to give the game to Indy. Standing up for your team is admirable, saying the refs have an agenda is not. I think he should be given a small fine. No suspension though.

After listening to the game then watching the replays, I wonder if the NFL stands for the National Fixed League?:confused:

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
The NFL should pay the refs enough so that it becomes their ONLY job. I believe that they are the only major sport that doesn't pay enough.

Don't know about Hockey.

Come to think of it, not sure about the NBA either, but there was a show on a couple of years ago about the refs in the NFL not being paid so that it is their only job unlike the other major sports.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
After listening to the game then watching the replays, I wonder if the NFL stands for the National Fixed League?:confused:
It's not just the fans that have this conspiracy theory either....some players even have it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rewrite the rule so it makes sense and the refs can follow. This is the NFL for crying out loud.