NFL Combine: Trent Williams interview; we looked at him a month ago

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL Combine: Trent Williams interview
Posted by berrytramelon February 25, 2010M at 1:27 pm OU offensive tackle Trent Williams took the podium at the NFL Combine today. Here is a transcript of Williams’ interview.
http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/02/25/nfl-combine-trent-williams-interview/

You played against Nebraska, what were your impressions of Suh and is he worthy of the top pick?

Williams: “Yeah. He’s great, man. We couldn’t stop him. That says a lot.”

What was it about him?

Oklahoma's Trent Williams answers a question during a press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Thursday, Feb. 25, 2010. The event allows teams to evaluate the nation’s top college football players eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
“Power. Strength. Pure strength. I mean, it was just we didn’t have no match for him inside. It kind of looked too easy. And I couldn’t do too much; I was out there on the edge. I was helpless watching.”

Is he one of the best players you ever saw?

“On the opposing team, yes.”

Is he better than (Gerald) McCoy?

“Obviously, I have a biased opinion, so it’s kind of hard.”

What do you think of McCoy?

“He has power and quickness and he has a load to move he can use. He’s so quick off the ball. He’s really a nightmare. As Suh is. But yeah, he’s a nightmare also.”

So you’d take McCoy No. 1 if you were a GM?

“Yeah, I would.”

How much did it help you to play both tackles?

“Oh, it benefited me greatly. I mean, even playing center has some benefit to me. At first, I didn’t realize how much it can do for me, but it really showed my versatility.”

How would you describe your senior year?

The team had the injury bug, including myself. I mean, the Lord blessed me; I didn’t have any great injuries. Just had a bunch of nagging injuries. But when I got healthy, I think I produced well. It was kind of tough sledding at the beginning of the season with a lot of nagging injuries.”

What are you hoping to accomplish here in Indianapolis?

“What everybody’s hoping to accomplish, move up in the draft.”

What about your strengths and your weaknesses?

“Strengths, I’m athletic. I don’t know if I want to discuss my weaknesses on camera.”

Which side do you fit better on, right or left?

“Left. Because I played left my whole life (before Oklahoma). It’s kind of a little more weird moving over to the right (his freshman through junior seasons) than it was moving to the left (his senior season).”

A lot of critics suggest you struggled in 2009. What would you say to those people?

“Just prove ‘em wrong. The day I get in camp, it’ll be – that’s where I’ll start proving ‘em wrong.”

This is a deep class of tackles, how do you see yourself among them?

“Me, personally, I would think that I would rank towards the top. Not saying that I’m the best or anything, but I think that’s what the combine is for, to help separate the competition.”

What teams have you met with so far?

“We haven’t done any formal interviews. Just a lot of informal talking.”

What was your favorite team growing up?

“You know, I’m a Texas guy, so Dallas Cowboys, everybody watched them.”

Who’s your agent?

“Eugene Parker.”

Are you determined to play on the left side, or would you settle for the right side?

“I’m determined. I want to be one of the best.”

Will you be best on the left?

“Yeah, I think.”

What were your measurements today?

“My height was 6-4 ½, reach, arm length 34 ½, 315 pounds, 9 ¾ on my hands.”

Playing both sides help?

“Oh, it does a great deal for me. I played virtually every position on the line, so I think I can adapt to anything.”

Eugene Parker sometimes holds out his clients from camp. Is that a concern?

“Not to me, because to each man, his own. At the end of the day, it’s my decision whether I want to go to a camp or not. So I will be making that decision, not my agent.”

What went into your decision to return to OU for your senior year, because you were pretty close at some point to leaving?

“Yeah, I was. But I just kind of sat down and talked with my parents and prayed about it. I just felt like I should come back and had a better opportunity.”

What about Jermaine Gresham and Sam Bradford, did they weigh into that much?

“Yeah, I talked to them both every day leading up to the deadline.”

You saw what happened to Jermaine and Sam, was there ever any fear of, ‘Am I next?’

“Yeah, that’s just human thinking. Honestly, yeah, I was nervous. But I thought, I can’t be nervous. I’ve just got to go out here and play.”

Can you talk a little about Sam Bradford and what makes him such a good quarterback?

“I honestly think he’s one of the best – best in my class and hopefully he can be one of the best of the era. Because he has it all: smarts, accuracy. I mean, anything you want in a quarterback, Sam has.”

What advice did your coaches advise you about coming back for your senior year?

“Well, they kind of advised me to make a decision with no regrets, and if I came back, then if I came back, then come back 100 percent and not try to play 70 percent and avoid injury.”

This class of tackles, there’s six that could be first-rounders. What do you think of the class?

“Oh man, it’s just impressive to me. Last year was a good o-line draft and I think it’s just becoming a trend now. Hopefully I can sneak my way up in the top 10.”

Why is it a trend?

“I don’t know.”

You guys are important?

“I guess you could say that. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I guess you could say that.”

Can you describe your day here so far?

“Just all the medical stuff, checking all the past injuries, doing all our physicals, just medical stuff.”

Dull, boring, long, tedious stuff?

“Yeah, basically.”

How did the medical check out?

“It checked out good for me.”

Did they look at your concussion (suffered prior to the final regular-season game)?

“Yeah, it was nothing. Only reason I missed a game was because I had the concussion during the week, so I had to wait seven days. There was no other way.”

What’s your No. 1 strength, pass blocking, run blocking, quickness?

“In pass blocking, just my athleticism, staying in front of people.”

“That’s dating back to when I played basketball. That kind of led a lot to the field. But I can get better at both.”

Are you aware of the Cowboys’ offensive line situation and how do you think you fit in there?

“I am vaguely aware of it. I haven’t done a lot of research. But I feel like I can fit in anywhere and get along with anybody and be a great teammate.”

Switching sides hard?

“I went from tackle to center. That’s probably the hardest transition anybody can make. So yeah, I feel like I can adapt to anything.”

What’s the one attribute to sell on Sam Bradford to a team?

“He’s a leader. He’s like a natural-born leader. And he studies the game. He knows the game. He knows all the details of what should be going on at practice. You just need that from a quarterback these days. Just leadership.”

Is he an in-your-face guy?

“No, no. He’s not an in-your-face guy. But when he speaks, you know. You know he means business.”

What about you? Are you in-your-face?

“Nah, I’m laid back. I lead by example.”

Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can e-mail him here and follow him on Twitter @BerryTramel.