NFL Draft: Patriots target next Brady, Cassel

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL Draft: Patriots target next Brady, Cassel

Play video

(NECN: Mike Giardi) - Tom Brady: three Super Bowl rings, one NFL MVP award, owner of the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a single season -- and he was a sixth round pick.

Matt Cassel: understudy who filled in admirably during Brady's injury, recipient of the $14.6 million franchise tag -- and he was a seventh round draft pick.

With Cassel moving on to Kansas City as part of a trade that brought the 34th overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft to New England, one might be led to think that the Patriots can make good business of picking at least one quarterback in every draft. In 2008, it was Kevin O'Connell in the third round.

But who could the Patriots be targeting in 2009?

Mike Giardi and Mike Reiss of The Boston Globe tackle that question in one of a series of NFL Draft segments looking at New England's options at each position.

Reiss said that Patriots fans should keep an eye on Stephen McGee, quarterback from Texas A&M. McGee missed parts of his senior season due to an injury to his shoulder.

McGee was the recipient of the 2008 FCA Bobby Bowden Athlete of the Year award.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reiss said that Patriots fans should keep an eye on Stephen McGee, quarterback from Texas A&M. McGee missed parts of his senior season due to an injury to his shoulder.

McGee was the recipient of the 2008 FCA Bobby Bowden Athlete of the Year award

Great!

Just great!

:banghead:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how Cassel fairs this year, it is uncommon that a kid who sat his entire college career makes it big in the NFL. Cassel had a good season playing on a SB caliber team now that he is in KC I have a feeling those numbers are not going to look so hot

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2737582 said:
I'm interested to see how Cassel fairs this year, it is uncommon that a kid who sat his entire college career makes it big in the NFL. Cassel had a good season playing on a SB caliber team now that he is in KC I have a feeling those numbers are not going to look so hot

Oddly enough, Brad Johnson, if memory serves, was only a backup in college as well.

With that said, if it is true that the cowboys are really interested in McGee it seems like they are looking at the right people if the pats are also interested in him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2737586 said:
Oddly enough, Brad Johnson, if memory serves, was only a backup in college as well.

With that said, if it is true that the cowboys are really interested in McGee it seems like they are looking at the right people if the pats are also interested in him.

True and was drafted in the 9th rd. He saw limited action in college and as I said it is "uncommon" not impossible. I don't have anything against Cassel I'm just not sold on him as others are

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2737605 said:
True and was drafted in the 9th rd. He saw limited action in college and as I said it is "uncommon" not impossible. I don't have anything against Cassel I'm just not sold on him as others are

I'm not either.

He came into a great situation with great weapons and a great system.

We'll see how he fares in KC.

I keep getting a Scott Mitchell vibe...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2737605 said:

someone posted the other day, whatever players the patriots and dolphins are looking at, so should the cowboys

i agree with that, and if we want mcgee i think we are going to have to go after him in the 3rd round