NFL Draft Quick Hits: Team Interest, Visits

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL Draft Quick Hits: Team Interest, Visits

LB Clay Matthews (J.Golden/Getty Images) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Apr 12, 2009

Who's been talking to USC LB Clay Matthews, Oregon CB Jairus Byrd, Liberty RB Rashad Jennings, Georgia DT Corvey Irvin, Cal DE Rulon Davis, and TCU's Black Schlueter? Scout.com's Ed Thompson fills you in based on what he's hearing from the players and his network of NFL sources.

•USC linebacker Clay Matthews was scheduled to visit the Denver Broncos on Friday, April 9, according to a source. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound prospect who has a good shot at being a first-round selection is scheduled to visit the Tennessee Titans early next week. Matthews told Scout.com a few weeks ago that both teams were among those who conducted a formal interview with him at the NFL Scouting Combine.

•Clemson wide receiver Aaron Kelly told Scout.com that he recently worked out for the Atlanta Falcons. He also plans to participate in the team's workout for local draft prospects next week. The sure-handed receiver was the Tigers' leader in both receptions and receiving yards during his senior year. In 53 game appearances he caught 232 passes for 2,733 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.

•Liberty running back Rashad Jennings had a busy workouts schedule over the past month, but according to one source, two of the teams that have been showing the highest level of interest in him as of late are the Cincinnati Bengals and the Philadelphia Eagles. Jennings has worked out for the Eagles, Broncos, Patriots and the Jets. And he's scheduled to visit the New Orleans Saints early next week.

Georgia DT Corvey Irvin at the Senior Bowl
Chris Graythen/Getty Images

•The Buffalo Bills and the Detroit Lions are two of the teams who invited Georgia defensive tackle Corvey Irvin in for an official visit over the past month. And after having a tour of NFL facilities and meeting with NFL coaches the 6-foot-3, 301-pound lineman can't wait to get started on his journey into the NFL. "I'm very hungry, and I'm ready for my chance. It's been a long time coming," he told Scout.com. The Cardinals, Panthers and Cowboys were among the teams who held formal interviews with Irvin at the Combine.

•Another lineman who visited Buffalo lines up on the offensive side of the ball. According to a source, TCU's Blake Schlueter had an official visit with the Bills back in March. Although the 6-foot-3, 290-pound center didn't receive an invitation to the Combine, he had an impressive Pro Day that created some positive buzz for him. The athletic lineman was clocked in the 4.7 second-range in the 40-yard dash, a 4.28-second short shuttle and a 7.42-second three-cone drill, giving him an outside shot at creeping into the late rounds of this year's draft class.

•Oregon cornerback Jairus Byrd wasn't able to perform at the NFL Combine or at his school's Pro Day due to a groin pull. When he was able to conduct a personal Pro Day earlier this month, he showcased his quickness and agility, but his 40-times were higher than expected. Whether or not that will truly hurt the playmaker's draft stock won't be known for another couple of weeks. Byrd snared no less than five interceptions per season over the past three years for the Ducks, and finished his career with 17. "When I'm at corner, I feel that when the ball's in the air I'm like a receiver," he told Scout.com during a phone interview. "I have just as much right to the ball as they do, so I feel like the quarterback is throwing it to me." Byrd said that at the Combine he had formal interviews with the Dolphins, Ravens, Giants, Rams, Vikings and the Steelers.

•A source told Scout.com that defensive end Rulon Davis met with Panthers defensive line coach Brian Baker during Cal's Pro Day. A mentally tough and emotionally mature individual, Davis is a former Marine and avionics technician who spent three years serving his country straight out of high school. At the Combine, Davis met with the Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins, Patriots, Giants and the Jets.

Click the player names to learn more about Clay Matthews, Aaron Kelly, Rashad Jennings, Corvey Irvin, Jairus Byrd, Blake Schlueter, and Rulon Davis.

Click here for more coverage of your favorite NFL team.

RS12

Reaction score
•Another lineman who visited Buffalo lines up on the offensive side of the ball. According to a source, TCU's Blake Schlueter had an official visit with the Bills back in March. Although the 6-foot-3, 290-pound center didn't receive an invitation to the Combine, he had an impressive Pro Day that created some positive buzz for him. The athletic lineman was clocked in the 4.7 second-range in the 40-yard dash, a 4.28-second short shuttle and a 7.42-second three-cone drill, giving him an outside shot at creeping into the late rounds of this year's draft class.

This guy has some nice measurables. Can he play? Is he a guy you try and sign the day after the draft?