NFL fan has heart attack as his team almost loses

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that one day I'm going to be in this article. :eek::

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...5/01/17/bc.fbn.heart.stoppingst.ap/index.html

Fan recovering from heart attack
Man suffered attack when Steelers' Bettis fumbled

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Talk about a heart-stopping game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts.

Terry O'Neill, 50, of Pittsburgh, was watching the game at a bar and had a heart attack seconds after Jerome Bettis fumbled trying to score from the 2-yard line late in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger prevented the Colts' Nick Harper from returning the recovered ball for a touchdown and the Steelers hung on for a 21-18 win.

O'Neill said Bettis is his hero.

"I wasn't upset that the Steelers might lose," he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I was upset because I didn't want to see him end his career like that. A guy like that deserves better. I guess it was a little too much for me to handle."

O'Neill, who was recovering at a hospital, credits two firefighters with saving him.

"The Steelers won the game and I'm still alive, so I guess I'm doing pretty good," he said.

He will have a pacemaker implanted to control an irregular heartbeat and he was prescribed medication to deal with the hypertension.

While he would like to go to the bar Sunday for the game against the Denver Broncos to thank the guys who saved him, O'Neill said, "I guess I should probably take it easy and watch the game at home."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I was listening to Dan Patrick yesterday and he had Bettis on... he told him this story, then ambushed him with the guy on the phone...

Bettis was gracious, but you could tell he was a bit uncomfortable...

Then Patrick spent the whole segment talking to Bettis about the fumble... it was a sorry interview by Patrick as Bettis deserves better than that...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
lucky for bettis they won that game or he'd be an eternal goat:laugh2:

Kendo

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Then Patrick spent the whole segment talking to Bettis about the fumble... it was a sorry interview by Patrick as Bettis deserves better than that...

Anybody else feel like Dan Patrick saw Jim Gray interview Pete Rose and light bulbs went off in his head.

I used to like the guy, but now he is just plain annoying. :bang2:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Kendo said:
Anybody else feel like Dan Patrick saw Jim Gray interview Pete Rose and light bulbs went off in his head.

I used to like the guy, but now he is just plain annoying. :bang2:

He has started believing all of his hype... him and Keith Olbermann together for an hour every day can be quite sickening...

The run-away egos and mutual admiration sux...

jcollins28

Reaction score
Good thing this guy was not a Cowboys fan. If the first Commanders loss did not kill him. Then the Seattle, Raider or Denver game would have done it for sure.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Aside from the hairspray, the ego and the pretentious way he handles himself on the air, Dan Patrick is a lousy interviewer. His questions aren't well thought-out and he has a condescending way of asking them.