NFL Fan Value Experience: Cowboys/Texas Stadium ranked #26

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just Average Price Per Ticket $84.12 - they'll be close to $100 soon
Price Range Of Tickets $50-$130
Ticket Availability Games sold out since 1991
"Dallas fans tend to be a little fickle." "If the Cowboys are winning, the fans are delighted;" if they are losing, "it's like a wake." "Texas Stadium never has that feeling of raw emotion you would get at an OU-Texas game." "Dallas fans are too damn quiet." Some attribute this to a crowd where "most people are there to be seen, not watch a game." Others feel "Cowboys fans are spoiled by all the success of the organization." The hard times -- by Dallas standards -- of the recent past filtered out the "hoity-toity" crowd of the Super Bowl years for a more "down-to-earth" group that isn't "all that loud, but they are smart." That makes for an atmosphere "easily silenced after repeated frustrations," but also one that knows the biggest "stakes are on the line." "You look around to see that Ring of Honor, the semi-looking dome, the players getting pumped up, and then your hair stands up on your arms and the back of your neck. What a rush!"
SCORE 4 out of 10 (Won't go up too much, because thats just how the fans are in Dallas - I'd say 6 our of 10

FOOD & SOUVENIRS
Hot Dog $3.50
Soda (32 oz.) $3.50
Beer (16 oz.) $5.00
Expected Meal Cost $10-$20
Program $5
Cap $10.00
"Unless you get off on Cheez Whiz nachos, there's nothing of interest." Really? "You might as well drink from the urinal." C'mon? "The fried food smell throughout the stadium is killing me." OK, OK, we get it; the food is "nothing special," to put it more diplomatically. Some do find that the "turkey legs are the best." And some think "the Cowboys Corral ... and all of its drinks, music and games ... costs a few bucks but is worth it and is open to anyone" who can find it "next to the stadium's Blue Lot." "If your wallet can stand it," "there's an awesome stadium club available to season-ticket holders that is fine dining."
SCORE 5 out of 10 - (Quality will go up - have no clue on new vendors at the stadium 8 out of 10)

ACCESSIBILITY
Parking $12
In theory, getting to the game should be easy as "Texas Stadium sits at the intersection of three major freeways." But "getting in and out of the parking lots resembles Dante's first circle of hell," backing up traffic "onto the highways for miles in every direction." With few entrances, "lots of pedestrian traffic" and "multiple parking zones" that unintentionally encourage "a lot of loop de loop" driving, "it can easily take more than 90 minutes to finally park once you hit game time traffic." Adding to the misery is the possibility of a "walk of more than a mile if you don't have a pre-paid parking pass" and are sent to one of the distant, unpaved lots. Getting out is no easier for many. "Parking lots don't have enough exits and the police direct you to certain highways, often not of your own choosing." Unfortunately, there seems little alternative to taking your commuting medicine since "buses are too few and there are no trains/subways to the stadium."
SCORE 3 out of 10 (Parking will be fine - Sharing w/ The Ballpark - 7 out of 10)

TAILGATING
"There aren't as many tailgaters as at other stadiums. However, those who [do] have VERY good food, TV (even satellite) and often are willing to share with strangers." In many ways, the Dallas scene is "still in its embryonic stages" after a ban was lifted on open flames in the parking lots in 1999. Now, "a virtual smoke screen" arises from around the stadium, "even at some of the remote lots." "Everything from beef to chicken to vegetables is prepared." And during the annual Thanksgiving Day game, the Cowboys Corral, a group that organizes game experience packages for fans, "offers rows of tables with a feast that is unimaginable." Though spread across the stadium's vast array of lots, tailgating at the famed "Blue Lot is where you see your stadium family. The beer is always cold, footballs are being thrown, pregame shows are being watched ... and you will meet people from all over the country [and the world sometimes] who have come to see the Cowboys."
SCORE 6 out of 10 (With all that is being added around the stadium, including 2 HUGE Tv Screen outside the stadium - this will be unmatched 10 out of 10)

TEAM

Terrell Owens :: Greg Nelson/SI
Record through Week 9 7-1
Players Worth Watching Terrell Owens (WR), Tony Romo (QB), Marion Barber III (RB), DeMarcus Ware (LB)
SCORE 9 out of 10 (Come on now...It's the Cowboys - has to stay atleast 9 out of 10)

STADIUM ATMOSPHERE
"Texas Stadium is well past its prime." Concourses are "narrow." Seating is "cramped." And "second-floor walkways often leak onto the first-floor walkways." Worst of all, "when the team added an extra row of luxury boxes" "above the upper deck," "it closed up the gap between the seats and the roof, killing air flow in the stadium." Little wonder, then, that some ponder if the folk tale about Texas Stadium is a bit twisted, and that it is "Satan, not God, looking down upon the Cowboys" through the infamous hole in the roof. "God would not have you sit in 110-degree temperature with no circulation to watch [a game]." On the plus side, "the roof is nice because you are outside but you never get wet if it rains or snows. The price for protection from the elements, though, is a seating area that is "quite dark except where the sunlight hits." Despite it's iconic roof and being the site of so many memorable games, many "are sick of Madden and Michaels waxing nostalgic" about this "Grade-A dump." A few note how little owner Jerry Jones has upgraded the stadium during his tenure, an interesting development for a man who has spared little expense on the team playing in the stadium. More on that later.
SCORE 5 out of 10 (No words needed - 10 out of 10)

NEIGHBORHOOD
"The stadium is surrounded by parking, which is surrounded by three highways," "so [the immediate area is] concrete on top of concrete covered by concrete with a nice concrete topping." "There's not a lot beyond: no hangouts, restaurants, pubs -- anything." "You can see the Dallas skyline from the parking lot, but it's a 15-20 minute drive. Ft. Worth is a little farther." In other words, "there isn't much of a neighborhood at all."
SCORE 1 out of 10 (Your in Arlington (not the biggest, but still plenty to do - Six Flags and Ballpark right beside you - 8 out of 10)

BOTTOM LINE
Clever guy, that Jerry Jones. Despite watching the league's most glamorous team take the field Sunday after Sunday in perhaps the league's least glamorous stadium, he raised nary a finger to update the Cowboys' home, letting his patrons stew over paying $84 ticket prices while sweating away in the uncomfortable sauna that often is Texas Stadium. Lo and behold, residents of Arlington -- some of them Cowboys fans we'd guess -- up and approved $325 million in public financing to help Jones build a $1 billion football palace, set to open in 2009. We can only assume there won't be any leaks, cramped seating or diabolical parking lot designs at the home of the 2010 Super Bowl. Y'know, unless he has plans for a bigger, better place down the road.
FINAL SCORE 33 out of 70
(58 out of 70) - GOOD FOR 1st Place by 4 points

hope it holds the crowd noise. That place is going to be HUGE, so hopefully the noise doesn't just disappear within that beast of a stadium!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The team alone should put the Cowboys in the top 5. :)

As for the noise, while other fans are louder. The stadium's makeup hurt noise levels. I hope Jerry took that into consideration when they designed the new stadium

superpunk

Reaction score
nyc;1750731 said:
The team alone should put the Cowboys in the top 5. :)

The team was the only thing that kept us out of last place in the rankings.

We finished with 33 out of 70, the Jets finished with 25 out of 70. Our team category was 9/10, while theirs was 1/10.

Tra_Col99

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the 16th place being Arrowhead. I went last year to see the Commanders get Jerrad AllOWN'd and that was a GREAT place for a game.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well here we go again.

Time to kick a cowboys fan in texas directly in the gonads.

no we are not all fickle, no we are not all front runners, no we are not all quiet.

ok...could this end sometime in my lifetime please.

anyone watch the jets-skins game last week? The place was half empty. Buffalo was half empty, and the eagles fans left in the third quarter.

all this high and might stuff drives me crazy. Believe it or not there are good fans here.

DA FAN

Reaction score
Are these 1970 prices?

$10.00 for a hat? No way Jose...

I recently spend close to $20.00 for 2 sodas, 1 popcorn and 1 bag of peanuts.

Chreph

Reaction score
The parking prices were amusing, too. Maybe back in the Campo days, but parking was $30 across the highway from TX stadium. Soda was $5.50 too.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chreph;1751100 said:
The parking prices were amusing, too. Maybe back in the Campo days, but parking was $30 across the highway from TX stadium. Soda was $5.50 too.

cash lots are 20 bucks at texas stadium.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I love watching the Cowboys, but boy do I hate going to Texas Stadium.

The history and the team are the only, and I mean only, pleasant things about sitting in traffic for hours to overpay for terrible food and sit in that dump. And until this year, the team had hardly been a pleasant thing.

The Texas Stadium amenities are akin to the Cotton Bowl....which was built in what? 1920?

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Most ppl are not aware that their ticket affords them access to the Stadium Club for a mere $10 (behind the dark glass in endzone 2", and spend their entire experience at TS in their seats.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i don't care what anyone says....i love texas stadium and i love going there.

not that i won't enjoy the new place, but i will miss TS.