News: NFL: La'el Collins headed to IR following toe surgery

NewsBot

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be without a key cog on their offensive line for the foreseeable future. Guard La'el Collins is having toe surgery and is headed to IR, Jerry Jones confirmed Tuesday

Continue reading...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Too bad for him and us. Amazing how the Leary haters disappeared into the woodwork the last couple years.

Solution

Reaction score
Sucks for Collins.

You can bash Jerry all you want, but I'm of the opinion that one of his strengths/advantages in the league is his aggressiveness in the rookie free agent market. Also I would wager players have a high opinion of this organization and believe we are a team that will give rookie free agents an actual shot at the roster.

From Leary's Wikipedia: "the Cowboys gave him a $9,000 signing bonus and guaranteed $205,000 of his $390,000 base salary."
From Collin's Wikipedia: "His entire three-year contract was guaranteed and worth $1,599,000 with a $21,000 signing bonus."

Leary now has a chance to play for his careers primary contract (great for both parties involved), we get a better comp pick possibly, and of course plug Collins back in as he is hopefully a main cog of this line for years to come.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Don't worry, Doctor Jerry Jones hasn't ruled him out for this Sunday, saying it's a pain tolerance thing....

visionary

Reaction score
When asked Jerry said that he was not going to rule out Collins playing on Sunday

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Too bad for him and us. Amazing how the Leary haters disappeared into the woodwork the last couple years.

I don't think anyone was a Leary hater, I wanted him dealt not because he was upset, but because the extra draft pick would have been nice come April. And even now, I don't know if losing out on a 4th or 5th will be worth the drop off from Leary to Looney. Right now, our line is so good, that we aren't noticing a ton of drop off from Tyron to Green, so when Tyron comes back, I'm pretty sure we'd be able to perform well with Looney in there. At least now, he'll play enough to *hopefully* land us a comp pick in 2018.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think anyone was a Leary hater, I wanted him dealt not because he was upset, but because the extra draft pick would have been nice come April. And even now, I don't know if losing out on a 4th or 5th will be worth the drop off from Leary to Looney. Right now, our line is so good, that we aren't noticing a ton of drop off from Tyron to Green, so when Tyron comes back, I'm pretty sure we'd be able to perform well with Looney in there. At least now, he'll play enough to *hopefully* land us a comp pick in 2018.

If Looney had to play next to Green, it might be bad. Leary is a bit better than Collins. Looney next to Smith might have been okay. Too many variables to trade Leary and glad they didn't now. Who knows when Tyron comes back and/or stays back.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If Looney had to play next to Green, it might be bad. Leary is a bit better than Collins. Looney next to Smith might have been okay. Too many variables to trade Leary and glad they didn't now. Who knows when Tyron comes back and/or stays back.

I agree with most, but at the end of the year, if we're at 8-8 or 9-7 and having Looney in there instead would be 7-9 or so, then I can't say the draft pick wouldn't have been better. I'd feel different if I wasn't 100% sure he'd be playing else where next year, but since he's not in our long term plans, it's hard to say he was worth more than a 4th rounder, which of course I have no idea if that was what was offered.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree with most, but at the end of the year, if we're at 8-8 or 9-7 and having Looney in there instead would be 7-9 or so, then I can't say the draft pick wouldn't have been better. I'd feel different if I wasn't 100% sure he'd be playing else where next year, but since he's not in our long term plans, it's hard to say he was worth more than a 4th rounder, which of course I have no idea if that was what was offered.
And if at the end of the year we are 11/5 and in the playoffs with Leary or 8-8 with Looney and watching the playoffs......

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And if at the end of the year we are 11/5 and in the playoffs with Leary or 8-8 with Looney and watching the playoffs......

obviously no way of knowing, but I don't think Leary is even close to being worth 3 games compared to your average back up guard

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think he was more accepted the last two years but before then you got a lot of Leary sucks.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I never thought Leary was a bad player, I was only wondering why the Cowboys didn't trade him for a player or pick when it seemed he was no longer needed. On top of that, Leary deserved to start somewhere. He's too good to be a healthy scratch like he was most of 2015.

While I feel bad for Collins, this actually worked out well for Leary. Collins' misfortune is Leary's gain.