NFL | League looking at several changes in rules... including horse collar

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 05:43:01 -0800

Bob Glauber, of Newsday, reports the NFL competition committee is reviewing the league's rule around end-zone celebrations. There is concern among committee members that these celebrations are lasting too long. Players can celebrate as long as it doesn't involve teammates, but the duration may be limited to less than what it is now.

Also, there is concern about an increase in taunting incidents that are not called.

The committee is also reviewing quarterback hits. There is some feeling among competition committee members that all hits below the knee on quarterbacks should be penalized. Currently, defensive players are not allowed to go directly at a quarterback's knees, but can tackle him below the knees if the defender is coming off a block.

The committee is looking again at the horse-collar tackle rule and may tighten it up even more.

Finally, as previously reported, the committee is looking at the "down by contact" rule and my allow replays on plays that involve a player being down by contact.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WoodysGirl said:
The committee is also reviewing quarterback hits. There is some feeling among competition committee members that all hits below the knee on quarterbacks should be penalized. Currently, defensive players are not allowed to go directly at a quarterback's knees, but can tackle him below the knees if the defender is coming off a block.

Ugh, call that the Kimo von Oelhoften rule.

You can't tackle a WR by the shoulder pads. You can't tackle a QB around his legs.

Just keeps gettin lmaer and lamer.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
preetty soon there wont be any big hits, just big "2 hand touches"

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
sure...they should start makin' TACKLING illegal...:rolleyes:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
kØwbØy said:
Good idea...if the defense isn't allowed to tackle it would really increase the scoring and that is what fans really want to see :rolleyes:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
koolaid said:
preetty soon there wont be any big hits, just big "2 hand touches"
Maybe each player could wear a velcro belt with flags attached. When an opponent pulls the flags off the player is down. Genius I tell you!

onetrickpony

Reaction score
theogt said:
Maybe each player could wear a velcro belt with flags attached. When an opponent pulls the flags off the player is down. Genius I tell you!

"Brilliant!"

:lmao2: :laugh2: :bow: :laugh1:

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 05:43:01 -0800

Bob Glauber, of Newsday, reports the NFL competition committee is reviewing the league's rule around end-zone celebrations. There is concern among committee members that these celebrations are lasting too long. Players can celebrate as long as it doesn't involve teammates, but the duration may be limited to less than what it is now.

Also, there is concern about an increase in taunting incidents that are not called.

The committee is looking again at the horse-collar tackle rule and may tighten it up even more.

Finally, as previously reported, the committee is looking at the "down by contact" rule and my allow replays on plays that involve a player being down by contact.

Yes, tighten up the horse-collar rule. I mean it was called so many times last season:rolleyes:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
kØwbØy said:

I agree, these protect-the-QB rules are getting out of contreol. Pretty soon the new slogan will be "Welcome to the National Flag-football League. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I agree, these protect-the-QB rules are getting out of contreol. Pretty soon the new slogan will be "Welcome to the National Flag-football League. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable!

I agree it makes the NFL look like a joke. You want to watch real football then watch college they still allow the players to play the game as it was meant to be played

trentmonster

Reaction score
I bet the "new and improved" horse-collar rule will include more definitive terms like "only enforceable on players wearing blue and silver uniforms that contain the numbers 3 and 1".

Also, I like that the NFL wants to add even more gray area type rules. I guess Seattle made the Superbowl a little to close for their liking. Maybe they will add the "illegal tackle 'cause we didn't want him to get tackled" rule in honor of Matt Hasselbeck! :)

/conspiracy theory rant off

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
clayman said:
They rarely called it on Roy or in general.

Roy was never called for a horsecollar.

My guess is that the points they'll look at are having to grab the pads and pulling him down immediately.

There were 2 times where many thought Roy had a horsecollar (against Tiki and Portis) and the NFL said they weren't because he didn't pull them down to the ground immediately.

I saw it happen a lot and like I've said before, I didn't see anybody get injured from the play this past season. It's really an overrated hype to the reasoning of the rule.

Rich.......