News: NFL Network Analyst Steve Mariucci The Cowboys QB Situation

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I hate this argument for Romo. Opening up the playbook and pushing the ball downfield will lead to more turnovers, more 3 and outs, and quicker scoring drives. That will allow the other team 5-6 more possessions a game putting a lot more pressure on the defense. That may lead to a few more points but may also lead to the defense going back to giving up game losing drives late in the 4th quarter because they are gassed. I prefer the current MO of the offense and the wins that are coming with it.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why does everyone half to qualify it by saying things like "they're being very efficient and WHAT THEY'RE DOING."?! As if to say that we are just getting lucky or we have some gimmick offense.

I didn't realize that winning games with one style of play actually meant more than it does when you win another way.

rpntex

Reaction score
I hate this argument for Romo. Opening up the playbook and pushing the ball downfield will lead to more turnovers, more 3 and outs, and quicker scoring drives. That will allow the other team 5-6 more possessions a game putting a lot more pressure on the defense. That may lead to a few more points but may also lead to the defense going back to giving up game losing drives late in the 4th quarter because they are gassed. I prefer the current MO of the offense and the wins that are coming with it.

Yet in his last healthy season, the Cowboys led the league in TOP (by far). All those "quicker scoring drives" didn't materialize back then.

As for more turnovers, he only had 6 INTs after the opening day disaster against the niners.

So what you're telling us is that despite the fact that this team has the same offensive philosophy, and an even better RB to capitalize on it, that Romo will have a different approach than he did in 2014?

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Yet in his last healthy season, the Cowboys led the league in TOP (by far). All those "quicker scoring drives" didn't materialize back then.

As for more turnovers, he only had 6 INTs after the opening day disaster against the niners.

So what you're telling us is that despite the fact that this team has the same offensive philosophy, and an even better RB to capitalize on it, that Romo will have a different approach than he did in 2014?

They are actually having to argue that the passing attack will be worse when you bring a healthy Romo back out there, but they avoid saying it explicitly.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

No one can guarantee he will play like he did in 2014. When you look at Romo's career, 2014 was the exception not the rule. I'd just rather they not screw around with a good thing. When it stops being so good, then it's Romo time.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They are actually having to argue that the passing attack will be worse when you bring a healthy Romo back out there, but they avoid saying it explicitly.

No, not worse, different. It could be much better in some aspects but also have some negative effects in terms of turnovers and number of possessions/short fields the defense has to defend. I'm fine with Romo getting back on the field and actually would be excited to see what he will do. It has become a great story. I just want it to be because Dak struggled and Romo is clearly the better option. If Dak never has any major struggles, then we are headed for a long playoff run, which is something Romo never got done.

Gabe

Reaction score
2014 was an exception. He is also MUCH older, slower, less agile, out of shape, and coming off a MAJOR injury, and only a shell of his former self. Anyone advocating putting him back in at this point is setting him up for a huge embarrassment for his legacy and the Cowboys... Especially with Dak playing like this.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
No one can guarantee he will play like he did in 2014. When you look at Romo's career, 2014 was the exception not the rule. I'd just rather they not screw around with a good thing. When it stops being so good, then it's Romo time.
2014 was not some kind of "exception". Tony is the 3rd rated passer in the entire history of the league, that was not built on 400 or so attempts from one year. He has had many outstanding football seasons. Just because you are a natural born coward scared of his own shadow doesn't mean the team should be afraid to upgrade a position because "it will screw up a good thing". Pretty much any version of Romo is an upgrade over a dink and dunk rookie who isn't even trusted by his coaches to throw downfield. I sincerely hope any decisions made are for the betterment of the team, not because of cowardice.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
2014 was not some kind of "exception". Tony is the 3rd rated passer in the entire history of the league, that was not built on 400 or so attempts from one year. He has had many outstanding football seasons. Just because you are a natural born coward scared of his own shadow doesn't mean the team should be afraid to upgrade a position because "it will screw up a good thing". Pretty much any version of Romo is an upgrade over a dink and dunk rookie who isn't even trusted by his coaches to throw downfield. I sincerely hope any decisions made are for the betterment of the team, not because of cowardice.

When did passer rating win championships? That passer rating got us basically nothing because he blew it in the end or was on the sidelines with broken bones. You call it being a coward, I call it not being ignorant. You don't replace natural born winners with overachieving losers. By the way, you don't have to throw downfield when you have a QB that finds a way to get 9 yards on 3rd and 8 instead of throwing ints. The team doesn't really even have a deep threat so why force it with something that isn't a strength. Dak gets it done and wins. Romo puts up good stats but loses in the end. I want to see What Dak will do in lose and go home games. I know what Romo will do, lose and send us all home.

Gabe

Reaction score
Good Passer Ratings and comeback wins are a result of trying to overcome a few COSTLY mistakes earlier. Some of the most efficient passing from ANYONE comes in the 4th quarter against prevent defenses down 2-3 scores.

Face the facts, Romo is in the same classification success wise as Michael Vick, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, etc... And now he is old and washed up. End of story. Again, he can take his 2 playoff wins and good QB rating and ride off into the sunset.

Romo in his prime was NEVER as good as rookie Dak. I know that is a bitter pill for some to swallow, but the sooner you accept this and look to the future the happier you will be.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
All the Romo haters coming out of the woodwork lately are making it a lot easier on determining who to put on my ignore list.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
All the Romo haters coming out of the woodwork lately are making it a lot easier on determining who to put on my ignore list.

For the coaches this is a no brainer. You have 2 healthy QB's to put out there with your #1 NFL rushing attack featuring Ezekiel Elliott.

Option A: A rookie off to a damn good start while still learning to run a pro offense

or

Option B: The 3rd rated passer in the entire history of the NFL with 13 years experience running this offense.

Which one will put your team in a better position to win games? Which do you choose, Option A or Option B?

Can you picture one of the COACHES on this team saying "Gee, that's a tough one. How long do I have?"

Yes, some FANS want to pretend this is a very, very difficult decision. The MEDIA wants to pretend it's a very very difficult decision. Jerry Jones, talking to the media will wipe his brow and talk about what a very very difficult decision the team faces.

You know who doesn't talk about what a difficult decision this is? The coaches.

Gabe

Reaction score
For the coaches this is a no brainer. You have 2 healthy QB's to put out there with your #1 NFL rushing attack featuring Ezekiel Elliott.

Option A: A rookie off to a damn good start while still learning to run a pro offense

or

Option B: The 3rd rated passer in the entire history of the NFL with 13 years experience running this offense.

Which one will put your team in a better position to win games? Which do you choose, Option A or Option B?

Can you picture one of the COACHES on this team saying "Gee, that's a tough one. How long do I have?"

Yes, some FANS want to pretend this is a very, very difficult decision. The MEDIA wants to pretend it's a very very difficult decision. Jerry Jones, talking to the media will wipe his brow and talk about what a very very difficult decision the team faces.

You know who doesn't talk about what a difficult decision this is? The coaches.
What about option A: a young player who looks like a 10 year vet and has command of the locker room, he just broke a key Tom Brady record and has injected his youth, poise and leadership into the entire team. Option A makes Very average NFL WR like Beasley and Butler look like All-Pro WR.

Option B: an old washed up QB who couldn't win in his prime, much older and slower now than he ever has been. After 13 failed attempts at it, seems foolish to turn to this when you have option A that is ALREADY working.

Tough call...

Last edited: