NFL Network-Jerry Jones-viewing packers

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok, can someone explain to me, what they were talking about with Jerry Jones being NFL Network chairman to get deal done with networks, he is scheduling 4 nfl cables sponsors to be with him the day before green bay game and the green bay game. Cox communications is listed as one of the cable providers in some kind of deal, but my cable provider is suddenlink.

Suddenlink says unless someone is willing to fork over a million dollars to get the deal done with NFL Network nothing will get done. And that they are tired of customers complaining about not having nFl network and saying that suddenlink is at fault.

So, is a deal intiment to having NFL Network, or what?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I think the NFL is the ONLY sports entity who can bring this kind of pressure to cable systems. The fan base is probably the most rabid of any in the nation with the individual alliances. We will call and provider in we are beating a team soundly in the fourth quarter and they switch to another game. We are rabid, incessant, and at time dysfunctional in our fandom.

This is why they are getting tired of the perception that they (the systems) are screwing their customers out of something they want. They will bow to the NFL alter eventually and it will be on every system. Especially now that they are having playoff implicating games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thankfully Comcast merged with Warner Cable and when it happened I was able to get the NFL channel this year

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
The Cable providers ARE at fault. If they're tired of hearing from their customers about it, then they should either fix the problem or expect a mass exodus away from their service.

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1740617 said:
Thankfully Comcast merged with Warner Cable and when it happened I was able to get the NFL channel this year

Yeah, but aren't you paying an additional sports package price in order to get it? I thought this whole stupid arguement was to provide the NFLN free and not charge a package price for it?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BigD;1740671 said:
Yeah, but aren't you paying an additional sports package price in order to get it? I thought this whole stupid arguement was to provide the NLF-N free and not part of package?

Yes I am paying a little extra for the NFL N as well as 5 other sports related channels. However it is better than not having the option at all.

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1740674 said:
Yes I am paying a little extra for the NFL N as well as 5 other sports related channels. However it is better than not having the option at all.

That's what the cable companies want. I hope Jerry sticks it to 'em.

sago1

Reaction score
There's gotta be a way we can get NFN Network on our cable service. I've complained several times to my cable service and get tired of hiring about extra costs to me and it's not fair to others, yada yada yada.

The reality is none of us have a chance when we sign up with any cable service as to which stations/network we can watch. We can sign up for cheap service, more expensive service, movie channels, etc., but those shows bundled under that particular service allows no input from us. I can't tell them to eliminate 2 of the 3 home shopping channels, all of the foreign language channels, some religious channels & a bunch of other non-interesting stuff and get NFN Network instead.

I hope somehow Jerry can get an agreement done or some how circumvent those cable services or make it so difficult for them to continue saying no that they end up caving in. Jerry's got about 4 weeks to cut some kind of deal so we can all, or at least a lot more then currently can, see the Cowboy-Packer game particularly if we win almost all of our games before we get to them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BigD;1740685 said:
That's what the cable companies want. I hope Jerry sticks it to 'em.

My bill went up a total of 6 bucks, it was worth it to me to get the NFL Network. As I said at least I had the option where as before there was no option to get it.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Cable TV is not like the weather folks. You can complain about the weather but you can't do anything about it. You can do something about cable tv other than just complain about it.

I understand that for various reasons, some folks cannot get sattelite service or would lose their local channels etc. But if everyone who can get Dish or DirectTv would just switch, the cable companies would change their tune in a heartbeat. They simply could not afford to lose that many customers.

Hell, if anyone wants to switch to Direct TV, I'll refer you and we'll both get $50 off our bill.:lmao:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If the cable companies are tired of hearing about complaining customers they're in for a long year. Not only are the Cowboys and Packers going to be on the NFLN, which might be the best matchup in the NFC this year with the largest fanbase in the nation, the last game of the season on NFLN is the Giants vs. Patriots, with the Patriots possibly going for an undefeated season.

Gregg Easterbrook had a really good article on the whole debacle this week.

The NFL restricts its magnificent Sunday Ticket product, which enables viewers to choose for themselves which game to watch, to the lucky few who get the satellite service DirecTV. Millions of homes cannot receive DirecTV for technical reasons or can pull in the signal only after expensive special installations. Frank Hawkins, the NFL's chief negotiator for television contracts, told me that when he lived in Virginia, his home could not receive DirecTV until he had a tall metal pole installed in his backyard. Yet although the NFL won't let anyone in the U.S. except DirecTV subscribers watch Sunday Ticket, the league is furious that Time-Warner and Cablevision won't buy the NFL Network and Comcast will buy the NFL Network for its premium sports tier only. The NFL wants NFLN on every basic cable system, which was the path to success for ESPN and CNN. A war of words has broken out, in which the NFL is denouncing the cable carriers in consumer-rights language while asking that Congress intervene to force the NFL Network onto basic cable. The cable carriers are firing back, accusing the NFL of all manner of perfidy. Meanwhile, 35 million households already get the NFL Network, while only 1.6 million get Sunday Ticket -- and the consumer's barriers to Sunday Ticket are much higher than the barriers to the NFL Network.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071030

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When the Cowboys Packers game goes on NFL Network **** is definetely going to hit the fan for cable companies.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
this whole cable vs nfl network makes me sick. i cant believe a solution hasnt been reached.

Rackat

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1740746 said:
Hell, if anyone wants to switch to Direct TV, I'll refer you and we'll both get $50 off our bill.:lmao:
I should've done that when I moved back to Ft. Worth. LOL!

"Yo, Leon, hook me up with a referral!" :laugh2:

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
What annoys me most of all, and was outlined above, is that the cable companies will argue that people who don't want NFLN shouldn't have to pay for it. Well, I don't want your crappy HGTV or your Style channel or the 50 religious channels, but I still have to pay for them. I guarantee that the NFLN will generate a lot more of an audience than those other channels would.

burmafrd

Reaction score
that is BS about expensive installation for Directv. I have installed my own since 1994 and have moved 5 times since then due to my job. Outside of apartments, and some residences due to trees ( and even then there are usually ways if you work at it) virtually anyone can get satelite. Its not that hard or expensive. the most I have ever had to spend was about 50 bucks one time when I had to put it on a poll since I could not install it on the roof or the side of the house. The poll and some concrete cost me 50 and it took me about 4 hrs total.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ozzu;1740953 said:
What annoys me most of all, and was outlined above, is that the cable companies will argue that people who don't want NFLN shouldn't have to pay for it. Well, I don't want your crappy HGTV or your Style channel or the 50 religious channels, but I still have to pay for them. I guarantee that the NFLN will generate a lot more of an audience than those other channels would.

Same thing happened here in NY when the Yankees were trying to get cablevision to add YES Network...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ozzu;1740953 said:
:hammer:

Now your talking...........