NFL Playoff Tie-Breaking Procedures

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
I’ve noticed a lot of well intentioned, but some incorrect info, regarding playoff tie-breakers being posted in various threads, so I thought I’d share tie-breaker rules from the NFL Operations page here:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

Two Clubs:
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs)
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  5. Strength of victory
  6. Strength of schedule
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  9. Best net points in common games
  10. Best net points in all games
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games
  12. Coin toss
Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving, my smoked ham and turkey were the best I ever made, and with the win it made for a memorable day!!

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I think the confusion is typically that conference record comes before common games record in division tie breaking scenario.

The fact that common games comes first is beneficial to the Cowboys as it stands today. Probably doubles the likelihood of a division crown (albeit from about 5/6% to 10/12%).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Each team plays six divisional games. How many have been lost by Dallas and the Eagles? What needs to change in those percentages?

JustChip

Reaction score
I think the confusion is typically that conference record comes before common games record in division tie breaking scenario.

The fact that common games comes first is beneficial to the Cowboys as it stands today. Probably doubles the likelihood of a division crown (albeit from about 5/6% to 10/12%).
Yes, sir. And the reason for common over conference is that only 14 games for each division team are against the same opponents. The other 3 (2 intra-conference) are different based on how each team in the Division finished the prior year.

That’s the best argument against determining playoff seeding and home/away based on overall records. Teams in different divisions play to dissimilar schedule if opponents.