NFL: QB Index, Week 6: Hurts soars to No. 1; Purdy knocking on door of top five

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

NFL QB Index, Week 10: C.J. Stroud leapfrogs Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence​

Rank 6 -- Up 3 spots Dak Prescott Dallas Cowboys · Year 8

2023 stats: 8 games | 70.2 pct | 2,011 pass yds | 7.6 ypa | 13 pass TD | 5 INT | 118 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 1 fumble

Dallas' failures in key moments defined the loss to the Eagles. Some were Prescott's fault, but most weren't. Overall, the outcome unfairly overshadowed what I thought was another excellent Prescott performance -- and make no mistake, Prescott is undoubtedly ballin' as of late. A week after throwing for 304 yards and four touchdowns in a runaway win over the Rams, Prescott nearly one-upped himself against a much better opponent, racking up 374 yards, three touchdowns and a 115.2 passer rating in hostile Lincoln Financial Field. His connection with CeeDee Lamb continues to be a boon for the Cowboys, and he found a rapport with more Cowboys pass-catchers on Sunday. Even better: Prescott evolved into a playmaking machine with Dallas' hopes in his hands. He nearly doubled his passer rating when trailing, going from 65.1 (the worst mark among qualified quarterbacks) in Weeks 1-8 to 114.2 in Week 9. He did more than enough to help the Cowboys win. They just didn't produce in key moments. Outside of the team's crunch-time execution problem, Prescott has been excellent, and on Sunday, he went toe to toe with -- nay, outplayed -- Jalen Hurts.

Last edited:

LovinItAll

Reaction score

NFL QB Index, Week 10: C.J. Stroud leapfrogs Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence​

Rank 6 -- Up 3 spots Dak Prescott Dallas Cowboys · Year 8

2023 stats: 8 games | 70.2 pct | 2,011 pass yds | 7.6 ypa | 13 pass TD | 5 INT | 118 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 1 fumble

Dallas' failures in key moments defined the loss to the Eagles. Some were Prescott's fault, but most weren't. Overall, the outcome unfairly overshadowed what I thought was another excellent Prescott performance -- and make no mistake, Prescott is undoubtedly ballin' as of late. A week after throwing for 304 yards and four touchdowns in a runaway win over the Rams, Prescott nearly one-upped himself against a much better opponent, racking up 374 yards, three touchdowns and a 115.2 passer rating in hostile Lincoln Financial Field. His connection with CeeDee Lamb continues to be a boon for the Cowboys, and he found a rapport with more Cowboys pass-catchers on Sunday. Even better: Prescott evolved into a playmaking machine with Dallas' hopes in his hands. He nearly doubled his passer rating when trailing, going from 65.1 (the worst mark among qualified quarterbacks) in Weeks 1-8 to 114.2 in Week 9. He did more than enough to help the Cowboys win. They just didn't produce in key moments. Outside of the team's crunch-time execution problem, Prescott has been excellent, and on Sunday, he went toe to toe with -- nay, outplayed -- Jalen Hurts.
I don’t know how he pulled the trigger and threw to Gallup after that critical drop, but he did and Gallup made a great catch. Ferguson continues to impress, but I don’t know how Cooks isn’t getting many targets. I’m sure there’s a reason, I just don’t know what it is. Prescott and Lamb are, atm, as good as any other duo in the NFL hopefully other dudes step up and show out in the WR corps because we have no running game. That’s REALLY unfortunate.

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak played well enough against the Eagles to where it shouldn't have been necessary for last second heroics.

He played well enough to where a fair minded person would look elsewhere for the reason the Cowboys lost.

The first place to look is rather obvious. While moonlighting as an NFL GM, Jerry should have considered strengthening the RB squad with legitimate talent and ability to produce on a consistent basis. This is an issue that is going to plague this team all season long. You cannot plug in an undrafted free agent or 3rd day pick because of a dominant O-line. It doesn't exist thanks to a refusal to react to the obvious decrease in the ability of aged veterans as well as those that moved onto other teams.

Even the great Zack Martin is beginning to show signs of best days gone by. Tyron's appearance on the field is a weekly roll of the dice. However, the worst discovery, by far, is the almost total breakdown in Steele's skill set. He is supposed to be a valuable part of the team's future and he was paid like it. We can only hope that it is the residual, temporary effect of a body still healing.

The Cowboys have a tendency to ignore a position once they sign a starter to a contract. It's as if they think this contract is going to act as a shield to protect them from injury. The Cowboys started the season with three backups in the starting lineup and there is nothing to prevent the season from ending the same way. It's difficult to enjoy any degree of success knowing that every day, not every game, there is a possibility that someone on this O-line could be on the injury list.

The Cowboys lost this game because they confused undervaluing a RB's in terms of salary with undervaluing his significance to winning. The Cowboys may be doomed to red zone struggles for a while. Every opportunity to respond to the issue has already passed.

Despite Jerry's complete lack of basic credentials for the job, even he should have recognized the issue with the "experience" he has acquired. After all, he has made the exact same mistake several times in the past. He let Emmitt hold out in 1993 and claimed that the other RB's would fill in nicely. After amn 0-2 start he relented.

Jerry promoted Marion Barber from the 2nd back to a franchise back without considering if he had the stamina considering his style of play. In 2008 Barber carried the ball in the first 8 games a total of 153 times and he carried the ball in the last 8 games a total of 85 times as the Cowboys lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

Jerry lowballed Murray, who set the all time Cowboys single season rushing record and was confident that Joseph Randle, a.k.a. "Klepto Joe", could take just as much meat off the bone. He lasted 5 games.

So not only does Jerry lack talent as a football expert, not to mention a full time commitment to the position, he cannot even learn from his numerous and well documented blunders.

I want to give Mccarthy the benefit of the doubt considering this is not his first rodeo so I'm going to assume there were several, very loud arguments that involved threats and insults and he didn't come out on top. Just like Parcells, he has no wish to become a distraction.

The fact that Jerry thinks he has a right to deceive fans and media concerning injuries forces me to consider whether it goes even deeper. Doesn't it seem like every player that is seriously injured has struggled? Who among Pollard, Steele, Wilson, and Gallup resumed their previous level of production?