NFL replaces rookie symposium with team-centric rookie transition program

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Get Emmitt in to talk to them.
Well... Also someone about clothing choices.

erod

Reaction score
The NFL keeps drafting borderline criminals with hopes of reforming them with million of dollars and unlimited party opportunities.

What could go wrong?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Every team should have someone on staff whose only job is to help curate the right lifestyle for rookies, from finances and investments to living situation, transportation and fitness/diet. I know all staffs have some of these people, but I mean a person/people solely dedicated to rookies and perhaps any other player that would like the help.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Every team should have someone on staff whose only job is to help curate the right lifestyle for rookies, from finances and investments to living situation, transportation and fitness/diet. I know all staffs have some of these people, but I mean a person/people solely dedicated to rookies and perhaps any other player that would like the help.

They're adults. Some people won't listen, now matter how much advice they get. If I were a millionaire at 21, I'm not sure I would have handled it all that well.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They do have that. Our guy would be Calvin Hill. The NFL was doing the rookie symposium for the entire draft class, but a lot of udfa were getting left out. So it seems this change will cover them in addition to the drafted rookies.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
They're adults. Some people won't listen, now matter how much advice they get. If I were a millionaire at 21, I'm not sure I would have handled it all that well.

Not many would because most 21-year-olds are really only "adults" in name, which is exactly why the NFL needs to do more to educate these guys.

The fact that former players could have ever advised them to get a "fall guy" is pretty much a statement of how big of a joke the current system is.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
They do have that. Our guy would be Calvin Hill. The NFL was doing the rookie symposium for the entire draft class, but a lot of udfa were getting left out. So it seems this change will cover them in addition to the drafted rookies.

What I mean is more like a dedicated mentor/baby sitter/financial consultant for the first year at least.

Most of these kids were coddled and handed everything throughout college and then are given more money than they've ever dreamed of. Many of them never finished the degrees they did a sliver of the work towards in the first place and never had the home life or role models to show them how to act as men. They're coming out wholly unprepared for the real world and think throwing money at problems solves everything. They may be adults in the eyes of the law, but they're not adults in terms of life experience and preparation. I am not saying break rules for them, I am saying put a constant support structure in place, not a one week crash course on life that many, if not most, skip anyway.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The NFL keeps drafting borderline criminals with hopes of reforming them with million of dollars and unlimited party opportunities.

What could go wrong?

And what should the NFL do? Downgrade the talent because a guy is an "almost criminal"?

You have a league of thousands. You are not going to end up with a bunch of saints. Also, how many of these players do severe crimes? What's damaging the NFL right now is "drugs" and alcohol. DUI and getting high.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the NFL is bringing in a bunch of mass murderers.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Are you kidding? I would have handled it great at 21, just like that time a friend and I went bar hopping in pubs in Switzerland and got sloshed with some Aussies and toasted our beer mugs together so hard that they busted and then woke up in bed with a strange girl from New Jersey ... okay, I would have handled it like crap. Thank God there was no Facebook when I was young.