NFL rules named after Cowboys

SibannacRex

Reaction score
8 Total, only T.O. wasn't a Cowboy at the time.

From Wikipedia:

Rules named after players

Throughout the league's history, a number of rules have been enacted largely because of a single player's exploits on the field. The following is a partial list of such rule changes:
  • Adam Vinatieri rule[citation needed] -- On successful field goals, five seconds will elapse on the game clock. Enacted in 2002 after the Patriots' kicker won Super Bowl XXXVI on the last play of the game. The clock ticked down from seven seconds to zero even though Vinatieri's kick appeared to sail between the uprights while time still remained.
  • Bronko Nagurski rule[10] -- forward passing made legal from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage. Enacted in 1933. Prior to this rule change a player had to be five yards behind the line of scrimmage to throw a forward pass.
  • Chad Johnson rule[citation needed] -- players may no longer use a prop or do any act while on the ground during a touchdown celebration. Enacted in 2006.
  • Deion Sanders rule[11] -- Player salary rule which correlates a contract's signing bonus with its yearly salary. Enacted after Deion Sanders signed with the Dallas Cowboys in 1995 for a minimum salary and a $13 million signing bonus. (There is also a college football rule with this nickname.)
  • Emmitt Smith rule[10] -- A player cannot remove his helmet while on the field of play, except in the case of obvious medical difficulty. Enacted in 1997.
  • Fran Tarkenton rule[10] -- a line judge was added as the sixth official to ensure that a back was indeed behind the line of scrimmage before throwing a forward pass. Enacted in 1965.
  • Ken Stabler rule[10] -- on fourth down at any time in the game, or any down in the final two minutes of play, if a player fumbles, only the fumbling player can recover and/or advance the ball. If that player's teammate recovers the ball, it is placed back at the spot of the fumble. A defensive player can recover and advance at any time of play. Enacted in 1979 in response to the 1978 "Holy Roller" play.
  • Lou Groza rule[10] -- no artificial medium to assist in the execution of a kick. Enacted in 1956.
  • Mel Blount rule[12] -- Officially known as illegal use of hands, defensive backs can only make contact with receivers within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Enacted in current form in 1978.
  • Mel Renfro rule[10] -- allows a second player on the offense to catch a tipped ball, without a defender subsequently touching it. Enacted in 1978.
  • Neil Smith rule[13][14] -- prevents a defensive lineman from flinching to induce a false start penalty on the offense. Enacted in 1998.
  • Bert Emanuel rule[15] -- the ball can touch the ground during a completed pass as long as the receiver maintains control of the ball. Enacted due to a play in the 1999 NFC championship game, where Emanuel, playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, had a catch ruled incomplete since the ball touched the ground.
  • Tony Romo rule[19] -- teams will now be given 45 minutes - 25 extra minutes than in years past - to prepare the balls for the game; and 12 sequentially numbered "K" balls will be used in the game, monitored by an official, instead of the ball boys.
  • Greg Pruitt rule[20] -- tear-away jerseys are now illegal. Pruitt purposely wore flimsy jerseys that ripped apart in the hands of would-be tacklers.

kenai

Reaction score
That's actually a pretty interesting list. I didn't realize the part about not being able to advance a fumble on 4th down any time in the game unless it was the guy who fumbled. I only knew about the last 2 minutes.

joseephuss

Reaction score
kenai;1734409 said:
That's actually a pretty interesting list. I didn't realize the part about not being able to advance a fumble on 4th down any time in the game unless it was the guy who fumbled. I only knew about the last 2 minutes.

It is one of those rules that goes just a little over board. I understand they wanted to keep something like the "Holy Roller" from happening again, but I feel they just went too far. They didn't limit it to just balls fumbled forward, but included fumbles backwards as well. I think it should be allowed if the fumbles goes backwards that your offensive teammate can pick it up and then advance it forward.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Greg Pruitt rule[20] -- tear-away jerseys are now illegal. Pruitt purposely wore flimsy jerseys that ripped apart in the hands of would-be tacklers.

Loved Pruitt as a kid in Cleveland.

It seemed like he went through about a dozen jerseys in a game.

gregpruitt139x175.jpg

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
SibannacRex;1734303 said:
8 Total, only T.O. wasn't a Cowboy at the time.
QUOTE]

Alot of people, trolls and "haters" especially, infer that a rule named after a player means that player was getting away with something or doing something which later was deemed wrong. This just isnt necessarily true. Look at the Tony Romo rule. This infers the Seahwaks were doing something later deemed wrong, not Romo or the Cowboys. Its a very minor thing yet I dont like food for trolls especially when they misrepresent the facts as Im sure some will do here.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Bronko Nagurski rule[10] -- forward passing made legal from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage. Enacted in 1933. Prior to this rule change a player had to be five yards behind the line of scrimmage to throw a forward pass

Nada.

That's the CBZ40 Rule.

Taz

Reaction score
I remember the E smith rule.

Isn't said the the rule for tony romo is just a remembering of him screwing up.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
SibannacRex;1734303 said:
Why does it not surprise me that the interference penalties were uncalled. Does Kraft pay off the refs or something? They get away with murder and have for years.

In yesterday's game Roidney Harrison intentionally went for a receiver's head and no penalty was called. One of the TV guys said something about it being a typical Harrison cheap shot.

D1G

Reaction score
The Marion Barber rule will be next. no "punching" stiff arms allowed.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Don't forget the "Tuck Rule", needed in order to launch a Patriots dynasty.:laugh2: :( Lucky jerks!

sillycon

Reaction score
Regarding the Mel Renfro rule... So before 1978, if the ball was tipped/touched by someone on offense, then said offensive player (other than the tipper) wasn't allowed to catch it?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You should add the Bilitnekoff (sp) rule about using stickum on the uniform...that guy was gross.