NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 03/01/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The Dolphins have a measured interest in signing Drew Brees. Their reservation revolves around Drew Brees' injured right (throwing) shoulder. Brees had surgery in January to repair a torn labrum and is not expected to be able to throw until May. Despite that, agent Tom Condon is seeking a contract that would feature significant opportunities for Brees to make money. According to a source, the Dolphins' interest in Brees revolves around whether the deal is workable and whether they think there is a better option.

One week from what seems a logical deadline for a decision on his future, Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre remains undecided about retirement - and he wants even more time to think about it. Due a $3 million roster bonus March 8 - a payment the Packers wouldn't want to make if Favre isn't going to play in 2006 - Favre said in an interview that aired on ESPN Tuesday he wants to see what the team does to improve its personnel before making a decision. "In some ways, I'm kind of waiting to see what we do free agent-wise and in the draft and those things," Favre said in Homestead, Fla., where he was taking NASCAR driving lessons. "And they're probably kind of waiting on me, too. So it's a little bit of a waiting game. Right now, I'm just trying to get away from it as much as I can and clear my mind, as hard as that may be."

Oakland has also expressed interest in Commanders QB Patrick Ramsey, but the Raiders' interest isn't considered as strong as Miami or the Jets.

Antwaan Randle El pointed out that not all No. 2 wideouts come cheap. He mentioned the $13.5 million signing bonus Reggie Wayne recently received with the Indianapolis Colts. Not that Randle El was suggesting that he deserves Wayne money -- though he does have that previously stated bargaining chip. Among the teams interested in Randle El are his hometown Chicago Bears, the Washington Commanders and the Philadelphia Eagles.

Titans GM Floyd Reese has said quarterback Steve McNair will not be paid the $50 million option bonus that would add the 2007-09 seasons to his contract. McNair is expected to remain on the roster, at least for now, though it will mean a salary cap charge in excess of $21 million.

The agent for receiver Koren Robinson said he is "pessimistic" he can strike a long-term contract with the Vikings by Friday's deadline. Agent Alvin Keels said discussions with Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, haven't been fruitful with the start of free agency fast approaching. "We have our differences on what the market value is on Koren as a player," Keels said." It's not something that can't be worked out. "But if I were a betting man, I wouldn't put my money on it being worked out by Friday." Two teams with obvious interest in Robinson are the Packers and the Panthers. Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson selected Robinson ninth overall in the 2001 draft for the Seahawks. Robinson is from North Carolina and was coached by the Panthers' staff at the Pro Bowl last month.

Expect former Texans safety Marcus Coleman to contact the Dallas Cowboys to see if he can be reunited with Bill Parcells, who coached him with the New York Jets, and cornerback Aaron Glenn, his friend and former teammate with the Jets and Texans.

Coach Lovie Smith is adamant Rex Grossman is the Bears' starting quarterback, but it is Jerry Angelo's job to address just-in-case situations. The top free-agent options are Drew Brees from San Diego and Josh McCown, a former starter in Arizona with a 72.1 career passer rating and 20 starts over the past two seasons. If Tampa Bay releases Brian Griese, the Bears have another option, but McCown figures to be the strongest possibility if he is not signed as a starter elsewhere.

Eric Warfield hasn’t heard from the Chiefs about his future, so he tries to find the meaning anywhere he can.

New proration limitations would make it increasingly difficult for the Broncos to afford outside free agents such as wide receiver Terrell Owens.

The Ravens have begun negotiations with running back Chester Taylor, agent Ken Sarnoff confirmed yesterday.

With less than 48 hours remaining before the scheduled start of free agency, the Titans and Brad Hopkins are preparing to go separate ways. Hopkins, a first-round pick who has started at left tackle since his rookie season with the Houston Oilers in 1993, expects to be released.

A player the Eagles could have an interest in if he is released by the Jets might be veteran center Kevin Mawae. The Jets reportedly asked Mawae to take a pay cut, and he declined. Mawae, 35, was scheduled to make a base salary of $2.8 million this year, but his cap value is nearly $4.5 million. Mawae's addition would likely lead to the release of veteran center Hank Fraley, whose 2005 season was cut short by a torn rotator cuff in Week 9.

Antwaan Randle El on his free agent plans: "If (the Steelers) are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," said Randle El. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?" Randle El said he and the Steelers have talked, but "we're not there yet."

The Dolphins also have passed on any interest in 1999 No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch, a quarterback who worked out for the team in January.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos chooses not to discuss the problem, but it's known he was far, far from pleased with his coach's comments and discussed them with Marty Schottenheimer. Spanos has to take charge from the bridge and grab this situation by the throat before the crack in the hull widens. Because, without cooperation from his executive officers, the captain's going to find himself back in a dinghy without a sextant. It's called leadership. “Dean hasn't discussed what Coach said with me yet,” says Smith, who returned Monday night from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where he reportedly didn't sit with Schottenheimer. “But I haven't seen Dean. I just got back last night. I have all the confidence in Dean that the coach's opinions will be addressed.”

Steelers coach Bill Cowher has purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., that might one day become a retirement home. Just not yet, according to his wife, Kaye. "No," she said Tuesday, when asked if her Super Bowl-winning husband was preparing to retire this offseason. Bill Cowher, who led the Steelers to their first Super Bowl title in 26 years on Feb. 5, declined comment on his new North Carolina home through team spokesman Dave Lockett. Bill Cowher, a native of Crafton, has two years remaining on his contract with the Steelers, where he has coached the past 14 seasons. The team typically extends the deal for two more years in the offseason when there are two years remaining on it. Instant Rumor: Cowher's name will be tied to the N.C. State football coaching job.

The Dolphins don't appear interested in signing Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson of Seattle, who was tendered the transition tag. The tag gives the Seahawks the right to match any offer to Hutchinson, who graduated from Coral Springs High School.

A source close to cornerback Sam Madison said that agent Drew Rosenhaus, who is representing Madison, not only offered to restructure his contract but also said that if a deal could not be worked out that Madison be let go. The assumption by Rosenhaus and Madison is that Madison can earn more money as a free agent. The Dolphins have not decided whether to keep, trade or release Madison. The team would save $2.7 million if he were traded or cut early in the offseason.

If Chad Pennington is released, the Jets would take a debilitating $12-million hit on this year's cap. They are trying to reduce that number to less than $7.5 million if he's on the team. Pennington said his rehab is "going great" and he should be throwing "fairly soon." He .expects to fully participate in the team's offseason program, minicamps and training camp. But he said he has received no assurances that if he returns to the team, the Jets will not draft a quarterback in the first round. "I won't take that personally," he said. "I'll look at it as, 'OK, this is the way they want to go, where do I fit in and what do I have to do?'"

At the end of the season, defensive end Greg Ellis expressed concerns about his future with the Cowboys, but Jerry Jones all but guaranteed that Ellis will return next season. "I'm very confident Greg Ellis is going to be back," Jones said.

Agent Leigh Steinberg, who represents Commanders quarterback Mark Brunell, met with Eric Schaffer, the team's director of football administration, Friday in Indianapolis. However, Steinberg and Schaffer failed to renegotiate the quarterback's contract, which counts for $5.4333 million this year, in order to give the Commanders some cap relief. Schaffer is also negotiating with the agents for guard Randy Thomas ($4.912 million) and linebacker LaVar Arrington ($12.046 million, including a $6.5 million roster bonus) among others in hopes of easing the salary cap bind.

Falcons left offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer, their most notable free agent, isn't likely to return next season, his agent, Alan Herman, said Tuesday. "My expectation is that he will not be back," Herman said. "He will explore free agency to the fullest. He'll probably be playing for another team."

At one time, it was rumored that the Indianapolis Colts might move to Los Angeles, but a new stadium deal was reached with the team. Ironic, then, that a Southern California company will be the namesake of that new stadium that is keeping the Colts in Indiana. Media reports state that Lucas Oil Products will be the naming-rights partner for the new $500 million retractable-roof stadium project for the Colts, and that a formal announcement is set for Wednesday. The domain names www.lucasoilstadium.com and www.lucasstadium.com have been registered with Network Solutions. According to WISH-CBS in Indianapolis, the deal will be worth $100-$120 million over 20 years.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning said Friday he is considering a trip to Miami to spend a few days throwing to Jeremy Shockey and Plaxico Burress. Shockey and Burress are likely to spend much of their time between now and the June minicamp working out at the University of Miami and not at Giants Stadium, where Manning and the rest of the team will be.

Negotiations continue with running back Travis Henry. The Titans would like to keep him without paying his $4 million option. He could opt for an incentive-laden contract.

With free agency set to begin Friday, teams have until tomorrow to get under the 2006 salary cap, projected at about $95 million. Jets quarterback Chad Pennington and center Kevin Mawae, Bills receiver Eric Moulds and Raiders quarterback Kerry Collins are among players who could be released for finanical reasons.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones admits to delaying a decision on defensive tackle La'Roi Glover's future because he's uncomfortable with the conversation. "With the quality of player La'Roi is and the job he's done for us, the job of sitting down with him or him sitting down with us and seeing how [he] fits, it was going to be so difficult that we put it off till a better day, to be realistic about it," Jones said. But the reality of the situation, according to Jones, is that it's a conversation the Cowboys must have because of Glover's high salary cap number and his diminished role on the team.

The Bears ran into more offseason trouble early Tuesday when cornerback Daven Holly was arrested after a shooting incident on the Near North Side. No one was injured after shots were fired from a sport utility vehicle near the intersection of Milwaukee and Division at about 4 a.m., Chicago police said. A witness flagged down a police squad car in the area, told officers what happened and was able to point out the vehicle from which the shots allegedly were fired, officer John Mirabelli said.

Safety Tank Williams, scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 3, doesn't appear close to re-signing with the Titans.

Letting Tony Banks, 32, go means the Texans will be in the market for another veteran quarterback regardless of what happens with the top pick in the draft. Starter David Carr and reserve Dave Ragone are the only quarterbacks on the roster.

The Dolphins have talked about a trade for Patrick Ramsey, but declined the Commanders' demand of a second- or third-round pick. Washington is believed to have dropped its demand to a fourth- or fifth-round pick, but the Dolphins are still hesitant.

McNair is scheduled to make a base salary of $9 million. “I take everything as a sign,” the veteran cornerback said. Those signs seem to point to the end of his Chiefs career. Warfield has a fat contract, making him an inviting target for a team with serious salary-cap problems. Veteran Ty Law is available to replace Warfield. Law signed with Edwards and the New York Jets last year but was recently released in a cap-related measure. The Chiefs’ other veteran cornerbacks are Patrick Surtain, who started 15 games last season; Dexter McCleon; Benny Sapp; Dewayne Washington; and Battle. McCleon is another candidate for release. That move would save the Chiefs more than $1 million against the cap. Taylor, the team's second-leading rusher, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent Friday along with starting running back Jamal Lewis. "We have had preliminary discussions with the Ravens and they have expressed interest in keeping Chester," Sarnoff wrote in an e-mail. "However, numerous other teams have expressed to us that they will have interest in making Chester their feature back. The Ravens will be afforded every opportunity to re-sign Chester and keep him off the free-agent market." Cowher's name will be tied to the N.C. State football coaching job.​

trickblue

Reaction score
The Dolphins so far have made no attempt to re-sign safety Lance Schulters, their best impending free agent. They will let the market determine his value, then decide if they want to try to keep him. Several Dolphins are uncertain of their status, though Keith Traylor's agent said indications are that his client will be kept.

Pittsburgh Steelers receiver/returner Antwaan Randle El is on the Bears wish list. A timetable for Randle El and other free agents remains in limbo because talks to extend the collective bargaining agreement broke off Tuesday. Free agency is scheduled to begin Friday, but without an extension of the CBA, the league would be looking at a more restrictive salary cap in 2006 and the possibility of no salary cap for 2007.

The departure of cornerback and former Pro Bowl kickoff returner Jerry Azumah has loomed as likely ever since training camp when he needed surgery on an arthritic hip and ultimately lost his starting job to Nathan Vasher. The hip condition has led to whispers that Azumah may be forced to retire after seven NFL seasons.

Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney — a possible Indianapolis Colts first-round selection — decided not to take part in some of the running drills due to nagging injuries but did go through some of the other tests.

Jim Huller didn't come to the scouting combine to watch Jay Cutler throw a football or put a stopwatch on Andre Hall. "I'm here to teach these guys how to be millionaires," said Huller, a financial advisor at Maximum Wealth Advisors of Roanoke, Va., a sister company to Maximum Sports Management. "Financial advice is very important for the rookies," Huller said. "You have to remember that 33 percent of the players who enter this league leave it in worse financial shape than when they went in. Our goal is to help them do what they want to do after their career is over, not what they have to do." Huller puts Maximum's clients on a strict allowance. A player with a $10 million contract has to "get by" with $500,000 a year in spending money. The balance is invested to maximize net worth.

The Cowboys will have $12.6 million to spend in free agency. Add some other savings, such as Dat Nguyen's expected retirement (roughly $1.8 million) and possible restructured contracts for Larry Allen and La'Roi Glover, and the Cowboys would have more to spend.

Gene Upshaw is seeking to expand the pool of revenues from which the players are paid, but the two sides have not been able to agree to a percentage of the expanded revenue pool that the players should receive. Upshaw is asking for 60 percent, the owners are offering about 56 percent. Tagliabue also has been unable to get owners to agree to a plan to increase the degree to which the clubs share locally generated revenues.

Commanders safety Sean Taylor expanded his defense team for his March 20 trial in Miami by hiring attorneys Richard Sharpstein and Larry Handfield at the request of his father, Florida City police chief Pedro Taylor. Holdover attorney Edward Carhart and Sharpstein once worked together in the state's attorney's office. Both sides will report to Judge Mary Barzee on Friday about their preparations for trial. Carhart expects to call four or five witnesses and believes the state will call six. Taylor faces three felony assault charges, each of which could lead to 15 years in jail, and one simple battery charge that carries up to an additional year.

The Green Bay Packers are playing beat the clock with Kevin Barry. With precious little time left before the start of NFL free agency, Packers officials are trying to reach an agreement with the offensive lineman.

The Dolphins are also still expected to draft a quarterback in the first three rounds and have focused much of their attention on Alabama's Brodie Croyle.

The linebackers group produced an unbelievable amount of fast guys. This might have been the fastest group ever. There were three prospects that ran under 4.5 in the 40-yard dash: Thomas Howard of UTEP (4.46), Jon Alston of Stanford (4.45) and Ernie Sims of Florida State (4.46). Former Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk is an unbelievable player and competitor. What we saw him do in these drills were tremendous and he turned in a time 4.59. He was joined by three other athletes who also ran under 4.6: Brandon Johnson of Louisville (4.51), Miami's (Ohio) Tarna Nande (4.54) and Miami's (Fla.) Leon Williams (4.59)

From a standpoint of the media, this was the largest body ever assembled for the NFL Scouting Combine. Over 300 members of the media were present and they were all happy with what they got from the prospects. Club personnel Jeff Foster, who runs the Combine, has done a tremendous job. All the coaches, scouts and the media were very pleased with what has transpired. At some time or another, all 32 head coaches were in Indy. Also present were owners from Dallas, Minnesota, Arizona, and Washington.

The Minnesota Vikings will launch a statewide television and radio campaign to promote its stadium project in Anoka County on Tuesday, one day before the start of the 2006 legislative session. The ads will highlight a $1 billion private investment from the Vikings' ownership toward the $1.5 billion development.​

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Interesting blurb on Fraley.

Parcells has gushed about Fraley in the past.

trickblue

Reaction score
I also think the blurb about Glover pretty much points to his days as a Cowboy to be numbered... it's unfortunate...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I also think the blurb about Glover pretty much points to his days as a Cowboy to be numbered... it's unfortunate...

I agree. It is unfortunate. Typically, once a Cowboy leaves, I could care less about him. I'll still root for Glover (except if/when he plays Dallas).

Its not a case of a guy not being effective any more. Its a simple case that the coach wants to do something the player isn't good at.

The only comparision I can think of is having a guy like Aikman in a wishbone offense.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
The Cowboys will have $12.6 million to spend in free agency. Add some other savings, such as Dat Nguyen's expected retirement (roughly $1.8 million) and possible restructured contracts for Larry Allen and La'Roi Glover, and the Cowboys would have more to spend.

I've heard a $15 million figure thrown around, but nothing in concrete. Has anyone else heard anything firm?