NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 03/28/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The list of teams interested in acquiring Buffalo Bills Pro Bowl veteran wide receiver Eric Moulds is now up to a half dozen. The NFC champion Seattle Seahawks entered the picture Monday after a busy weekend of speculation on where Moulds will wind up, personal adviser Greg Johnson said. Philadelphia remains at the top of Moulds' wish list, Johnson said. Houston, Denver, New England and Kansas City have also expressed interest.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗

Former Washington linebacker LaVar Arrington finished his visit to Jacksonville Sunday, but he and the Jags were believed to be worlds apart on money demands. Looks like it's between the Dolphins and Giants again, with neither team eager to meet his $6 million-per-year price.

Charles Woodson is expected to visit the Packers this week but the scuttlebutt around the NFL is that he eventually will sign with the Bucs. Should that happen, the Bucs could immediately place him at free safety, but Gruden said Woodson will likely play more than one position should he join the Bucs. "His playing status is something that will have to be determined not only on a weekly basis but sometimes on a play-by-play basis," Gruden said.

With one year left on his deal, Javon Walker would like to be traded or cut, but so far the Packers have not entertained the idea of parting ways with him, in part because it would set a bad precedent for other players unhappy with their contracts and in part because his value has decreased because he's still rehabilitating from the knee injury. At least one AFC team has started doing homework on Walker, probably to see if it's worth making the Packers a trade offer, but it's unclear whether the Packers will even consider dealing him.

The Dolphins have talked to agent David Dunn about former Oakland quarterback Kerry Collins as a possible backup after the departure of Gus Frerotte. Collins ranks higher on the team's priority list than Detroit's Joey Harrington. Dunn indicated Monday that both Collins and Harrington are hoping to land starting jobs.

Lovie Smith has two years left on his contract, but the Bears have decided not to extend or renegotiate it even though Smith is the lowest-paid head coach in the NFL at $1.35 million a year. Still cautious after a bad experience redoing the contract of previous coach Dick Jauron, club President Ted Phillips said he wants to see another good year from NFL coach of the year Smith before he opens discussions about a new contract. "I feel good, but I want to feel better," Phillips said at the NFL owners meetings Monday.

In choosing to wait, the Ravens run the risk of losing out on a dwindling number of quarterbacks who are available now. The most logical fit for the Ravens is Kerry Collins, but he's not a lock to go to the Ravens if they continue to delay.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy seemed pretty confident that the Brett Favre situation would be settled soon. The Packers want Favre to make a decision by Saturday and it's widely thought - both inside and outside the organization - that if he were going to retire he would have done it by now, and that it is more likely that he will return. McCarthy said he expected to know something soon. "I hope I'm not answering this question much longer," he said.

Agent Greg Johnson said he’s spoken to Patriots personnel director Scott Pioli about WR Eric Moulds, who has been given permission to seek a trade. The Bills are believed to be seeking a fourth-round pick or higher, but Marv Levy said that had yet to be determined. “We don’t have a hard and fast price,” Levy said. “We’re still talking. I’ll treat that situation as it develops, because it’s a big decision.” Moulds, an 11-year veteran, is slated to make $7.1 million next season, which seemingly would price him out of New England. But Johnson has had discussions with the Texans about restructuring Moulds’ contract and presumably would do the same for the Pats, who lack a No. 2 receiver. The market beyond Moulds is thin. Green Bay’s Javon Walker has demanded a trade, but he’s coming off knee surgery.

Paul Tagliabue said the league will seek to close a loophole that both teams have exposed in the offer-sheet process by including so-called "poison-pill" clauses that effectively would force the Vikings, in Naye Burleson's case, to guarantee his full contract if they decide to match Seattle's offer. "I think these issues that have been raised by the offer sheets by Seattle and Minnesota need to be addressed," Tagliabue told reporters in his opening remarks at the meeting. "I think it's not what was contemplated. It's a similar set of (loopholes) to what we had when the rules first came in place from the Will Wolford contract, and we will be addressing them with the players association. I will be talking to Gene Upshaw next week."

If the Dolphins ask the NFL to give them a quick notification on the results of running back Ricky Williams' appeal of the league substance abuse policy so they can be prepared to draft a possible replacement, if necessary, Williams' attorney said he would not stand in the way of an expedited result. Attorney David Cornwell, who is representing Williams in the appeal in early April, said Monday that he would try to aid the Dolphins so they could get information on the appeal before the draft, the final weekend of April. ...The substance for which he tested positive has not been revealed, although it is neither marijuana nor steroids, according to three sources. Williams returned to the United States over the weekend after being in India and Asia for more than a month. Cornwell said Williams was ''still recovering'' from his travels. Cornwell said he expected to talk to Williams about the appeal shortly.

Six teams have inquired about the possibility of trading for Harrington and a seventh appears interested. Millen said he's been contacted by the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets. Millen also had preliminary discussions with the Baltimore Ravens. Millen hopes to talk to Harrington next week to see which teams he'd be interested in joining. Because Harrington has to restructure his current contract before a trade can be completed, he holds the leverage in dictating which team he goes to.

Packers GM Ted Thompson could consider Detroit's Joey Harrington, who is on the trading block, as well as free agents Kerry Collins, Tommy Maddox, Jay Fiedler and Jamie Martin. Regardless, the plan would be to prepare Aaron Rodgers to be the starter and sign a veteran for insurance.

Ravens coach Brian Billick officially named Jamal Lewis his starting running back. There had been questions whether Lewis would enter training camp as the undisputed starter when the Ravens signed Mike Anderson. General manager Ozzie Newsome seemed to favor a competition between Lewis and Anderson but said the decision would be left to the coaching staff.

The chairmen of the NFL's rules committee, otherwise known as the competition committee, said Monday the league will enforce rules that limit end-zone celebrations. "I went on the ground once and used a prop once," Bengals WR Chad Johnson told The Enquirer on Monday night. Asked if he would be limited, he said, "Of course you cannot stop someone as creative as me. How can this bother someone as creative as me?" Prolonged celebrations also would draw a flag. "At some point there has to be a line," said the committee's co-chair, Rich McKay, Falcons general manager. Johnson's response: "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining."

Linebacker Keith Adams, who started on the weak side last season and was also one of the Eagles' top special teams players has received strong interest from Oakland and Arizona and could sign a deal with one of the two teams by the end of the week.

The Texans remained interested in trading for Buffalo Bills receiver Eric Moulds but reported no progress in their attempt to work out a new contract. The Bills have given Moulds permission to negotiate with teams interested in trading for him. A deal wasn't imminent Monday. Philadelphia and New England appear to be the Texans' primary competition for Moulds. The Bills are asking for a fourth-round pick in exchange for the 32-year-old receiver.

The name Art Rooney has graced the Steelers franchise since it was founded and, 18 years after the team's founder's death, it's making a comeback. Art Rooney II, the eldest grandson of the Chief, has quickly made a name for himself as the third president of the Steelers and today will be named the NFL executive of the year.

It is believed that the Carolina Panthers are the front-runners to re-sign punter Jason Baker, who has drawn interest from the Ravens. Baker likely will make his decision by the end of the week.

The Bengals, Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs have all shown interest in Lions quarterback Joey Harrington. Harrington, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 draft, will not return to Detroit in 2006. The Lions have signed former Bengal Jon Kitna and former Arizona Cardinal Josh McCown to compete for the starting spot next season. The Lions have yet to release Harrington but that is a temporary situation unless they can broker a trade.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said that the club is considering contract extensions for one or two players. Asked whether DE Jared Allen was one of the players who was under consideration, Peterson said, “Possibly.”

Browns GM Phil Savage said bringing Vince Young in for a visit is under consideration, but with owner Randy Lerner gushing over Charlie Frye's potential, drafting Young does not seem realistic.

Defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson is still deciding whether to retire. Millen had hoped to have a face-to-face conversation with the 12-year veteran but that probably isn't going to happen because they've had a difficult time scheduling a meeting. Still, Millen hopes to have more conversations with Wilkinson about the possibility of returning. Millen would like to have an answer soon because, if Wilkinson does not return, the Lions will have to find his replacement in free agency or the NFL draft next month.

Two Lions players who will bear watching during the off-season and through training camp are former first-round draft picks Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Both wide receivers are highly talented but have, so far, produced little. When asked about their early progress under Marinelli's watchful eye, Millen said: "Not great, not bad. They're learning, they've got a lot of work (ahead of them). According to team sources, Mike Williams showed up overweight and his conditioning level wasn't high. "He's doing fine," Millen said. "Am I concerned about it? Not right now. The approach right now is pretty good."

It is unclear whether the new collective bargaining agreement will affect the Lions' grievance against Carlos Rogers. The Lions filed a grievance against him last year trying to recoup $10.184 million of his $14.4-million signing bonus because they said his drug suspension put him in default of his contract.

The Dolphins brought in Jacksonville tackle Mike Pierson on a free-agent visit. Pearson, who attended the University of Florida, has played in only four games each of the last two seasons because of knee problems.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft yesterday said it’s up to head coach Bill Belichick and player personnel man Scott Pioli to assemble a competitive team and that he’s unconcerned over public relations hits following the losses of Adam Vinatieri and Willie McGinest. “I hold them accountable in this area,” Kraft said of Belichick and Pioli. “What’s really important is what happens from September to February - that’s what I’m focused on. What happens now is important, but what really counts is what happens in the fall.”

The Patriots gave wide receiver Troy Brown more than a new contract last week - they also paid him the $100,000 bonus he could have earned for catching 40 passes, WEEI reported. Brown, who saw time at defensive back, fell one reception shy with 39.

Mike McCarthy said the Packers are serious about their interest in cornerback Charles Woodson, who is expected to visit Green Bay after the NFL meetings wrap up Wednesday. "If we're talking to him, we're serious," McCarthy said. McCarthy said he has watched film of Woodson, the fourth overall pick in the 1998 draft, playing cornerback and safety and that he "would be comfortable with him at either position. Also he plays the nickel. I think at one time he was an exceptional blitzer a few years back." However, Woodson would likely play cornerback for the Packers, who need to upgrade the corner spot opposite Al Harris.

Green Bay GM Ted Thompson said he has had some very preliminary conversations about the trading the fifth overall pick. "A couple people have mentioned it," Thompson said. "I've had people in front of me and people behind me say, 'If you guys feel like doing something ...' It's not even really feeling out. It's just having a conversation more than anything."

Commanders LB Chris Clemons arrived eager to begin workouts. With the departure of LaVar Arrington and the Commanders showing patience in looking to free agency for a weak-side linebacker, Clemons, who missed the playoffs with a knee injury, has a chance to win Arrington's former job

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor reported to Commanders Park for an offseason workout yesterday, a day after one of his lawyers said he would not attend because he needed to prepare for his trial next month in Miami. Taylor was unavailable for comment. His attorney, Richard Sharpstein, said, "Sean felt he needed to be with his team."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the prospect of adding a back to compete with Duce Staley and Willie Parker: "I feel good about the competition we have there. That will not hinder us; if we feel we can better our football team with another back, we will do so."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the media reaction in Pittsburgh to his buying a house in North Carolina: "I call them the PP, the Pittsburgh papparazzi. I guess that just comes with the territory and I respect that. We have very passionate fans. They've always been that way, not just now. I'm very respectful of that but at the same time I think people have to be a little bit respectful of what you do in your personal life."

Former Packers tight end Keith Jackson will present White into the Packers Hall of Fame on July 22, the club announced.

In a tribute to late Giants co-owner Wellington Mara, the NFL owners unanimously voted this weekend to restore the name of the official game ball to "The Duke." "My father treasured his association with the game," Giants president and CEO John Mara said. "He loved his relationships with the players, the coaches, the scouts, the equipment people, the trainers, all the people who make our game possible. 'The Duke' football is a fitting acknowledgment of those relationships and my father's devotion to our league and our sport."

The Texans continued to bolster their front seven Monday, signing former Rice standout N.D. Kalu, a 10-year veteran defensive end who spent the past five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Cardinals announced Monday that the first football game played at the new Cardinals Stadium will be Aug. 12 against Pittsburgh, the defending Super Bowl champion. And in an extra twist, the kickoff will be in the afternoon. The afternoon start (the time has not been announced) is unusual for the Cardinals, who played preseason games at night at Sun Devil Stadium. "With the air-conditioning at the new Cardinals Stadium, we are able to do a lot of things that we couldn't do previously," Bidwill said.​

aikemirv

Reaction score
The chairmen of the NFL's rules committee, otherwise known as the competition committee, said Monday the league will enforce rules that limit end-zone celebrations. "I went on the ground once and used a prop once," Bengals WR Chad Johnson told The Enquirer on Monday night. Asked if he would be limited, he said, "Of course you cannot stop someone as creative as me. How can this bother someone as creative as me?" Prolonged celebrations also would draw a flag. "At some point there has to be a line," said the committee's co-chair, Rich McKay, Falcons general manager. Johnson's response: "Tell the competition committee that Chad said you can't cover 85, and there's no way you can stop him from entertaining."

These guys forget that the reason that people watch football is to see great plays and so forth.

If I want dancing or other entertainment I will go somewhere else. The self absorption of some of these guys is altogether amazing.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Green Bay GM Ted Thompson said he has had some very preliminary conversations about the trading the fifth overall pick. "A couple people have mentioned it," Thompson said. "I've had people in front of me and people behind me say, 'If you guys feel like doing something ...' It's not even really feeling out. It's just having a conversation more than anything."

What would you guys give up for this pick? If we were moving up to grab Hawk, I'd trade our 1st, 3rd and next year's 1st. Yep, I sure would.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Tass said:
What would you guys give up for this pick? If we were moving up to grab Hawk, I'd trade our 1st, 3rd and next year's 1st. Yep, I sure would.
Yeah, but would Bill and Jerry do it? The answer is a resounding NO!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Tass said:

thankfully you arnt running VR then...

no way is Hawk worth that

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tass said:

I don't think Hawk is worth that either. I would trade up for a QB if Ithought he was worth it. I would definatly trade up for Ferguson if he somehow managed to slip. That's probably it though. I doubt I'd trade up for anybody else.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade two first rounders for Reggie Bush or DeBrickshaw Ferguson, and they are the two best players in the draft.

ravidubey

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I wouldn't trade two first rounders for Reggie Bush or DeBrickshaw Ferguson, and they are the two best players in the draft.

What's Ferguson like as a run-blocker, though? The NFL seems to be obsessed with grading pass protection for it's OT prospects. While a vital skill, it's not the only skill! If I trade that much for an offensive lineman, he'd better be Jonathon Ogden and not Chris Samuels.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Tass said:

I would kill to see Hawk in a STAR, but not at that price. Hawk and Mangold both played a little bit down the road from where I live, not to mention the fact I saw them almost every week they played at OSU. If I thought that he was the one player away from the SB, then maybe I'd make the trade. But we aren't at that point, YET.