NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/09/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Tight end Kyle Turley, who took part in the Dolphins' minicamp last weekend, is expected to work out for the Kansas City Chiefs next week, according to his agent, Tom Condon.

Disgruntled receiver Ashley Lelie has new middlemen to mediate on his behalf in his efforts to exit the Broncos. Lelie has hired Denver agents Peter Schaffer and Lamont Smith. The move became official Sunday after a five-day waiting period after the firing of the wideout's prior representation. Schaffer said a strategy hasn't completely been mapped out for Lelie. But, he added, it has been his experience with past Broncos players the team will deal with the situation fairly.

The Seattle Seahawks and coach Mike Holmgren hope to reach agreement on a contract extension this week. Holmgren’s agent, Bob LaMonte, was expected to arrive in Kirkland to meet with team officials today. LaMonte made a similar visit before the NFL draft; this time, the talks commence with Holmgren having decided he wants to coach in Seattle past the coming season. All parties have declined to discuss the matter in detail. “When it clears up, it will be clear, and hopefully off we go,” Holmgren said this week. Holmgren, 57, is entering the final year of the eight-year contract he signed with the team in 1999.

Doug Flutie's agent, Kristen Kuliga, said yesterday that the 43-year-old still hasn't decided if he's going to return to the Patriots in 2006 to back up Tom Brady. A decision was reportedly going to be made last week but that's on hold. Flutie currently is out of the country.

A source said the Dolphins were unlikely to sign rookie quarterback Marcus Vick, who is expected to instead pursue opportunities in the Canadian Football League. There also is a 50-50 chance the Dolphins will attempt to sign tight end Kyle Turley, a converted tackle who also participated in the minicamp.

The Texans will turn their focus to the upcoming meeting between owner Bob McNair and general manager Charley Casserly. McNair returned from the Kentucky Derby on Monday and will be back at his office today. He and Casserly will meet either today or Wednesday to discuss Casserly's future.

There are no numbers in the 20s available to rookie tailback Reggie Bush if he is not allowed to wear his college No. 5. Bush and the Saints are awaiting word from the league's competition committee on that issue. Backup quarterback Adrian McPherson currently is No. 5 on the Saints' roster.

Former Vikings running back Onterrio Smith is expected to sign a contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this week. The Blue Bombers hold Smith's Canadian Football League rights. The league's season begins June 2.

Another day in the saga of suspended Dolphins running back Ricky Williams came and went without a decision. Despite phone calls among Williams, agent Leigh Steinberg and the presidents of the Dolphins and Toronto Argonauts, there still was no word on whether Williams will play this season in the Canadian Football League. ''We had talks with all the significant parties in this matter, but we'll probably revisit it [Tuesday],'' said Steinberg, who had a long talk with Argonauts president Keith Pelley. Pelley described all the things his team might be willing to do for Williams, although he didn't make a formal contract offer.

Through the eyes of Pacman Jones, everyone is staring at him. Whether it's the police, media or even those in the Titans organization, the controversial cornerback feels like his every move is being watched and scrutinized. And for that reason, Jones packed up and left the city a few weeks ago, deciding to work out on his own in Phoenix. On Monday night, he returned to Nashville. "I can't even breathe in Tennessee,'' Jones said. "Everybody acts like I killed somebody or something. Everything that's happened, it's either been a rumor or I wasn't involved. But I've been a target ever since I've been there. I'm used to it. I just hope it gets better.''

While Eagles rookie WR Jeremy Bloom was a marketer's dream as a skier, he is going down a different slope in football. Mike Ornstein, owner of Sports Link, a sports marketing company based in Santa Monica, Calif., said Bloom has to perform on the football field if he is to be a success in marketing. "I don't think sponsors will do a lot before he makes the team and shows he can produce, only because he hasn't played football in a while," said Ornstein, whose company counts Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush as a client. "The fact that he is a good-looking guy and has a good story, if he can perform, he has an opportunity to make [marketing] money." Regarding his performance, NFL experts don't really know what to expect. As for skiing, Bloom said before the draft that he would quit the sport, even recreationally, if an NFL team requested that. Wichard said that "it won't be an issue."

Who Knew? If all goes well for both sides, Broncos WR Javon Walker would be paid more than any receiver except Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison (seven years, $66 million; $22 million signing bonus) and Oakland's Randy Moss (eight years, $75 million; $18 million bonus).

Charlie Frye says he is ready to fly solo as the Browns' quarterback now that his mentor Trent Dilfer is gone. "[Trent] couldn't be out there taking snaps for me when I was playing," said Frye during an appearance at the Akron Browns Backers Banquet on Monday night. "It's one thing to be a great teacher, but when the play is called and I throw a ball in the dirt, it's all on me, and if I throw a touchdown, that's on me, too, so I understand the things that come with this job."

Ravens officials equate last season to a redshirt year for Dan Cody. He attended meetings, spoke to teammates and lifted every day in the weight room. The big step, though, is to play in the Ravens' season opener on Sept. 10, which would mark Cody's first game action in 1 1/2 years. "I definitely think about it, but you don't want to get excited," Cody said. "When the time comes, that's when you really turn it on."

Saints coach Sean Payton, speaking to a large group of New Orleans football fans publicly for the first time since taking the job in January, reassured them Monday might that the team will continue to bring in players of high integrity and character. Payton, appearing at the year-end meeting of the West Bank Quarterback Club, cited the Saints' selection of running back Reggie Bush as an example of the type of individual with which the team would stock itself.

The Miami Herald reported that 11 of the 64 players who attended the Dolphins' minicamp, which ended Sunday,"came to camp with arrest records, or drug-test issues, or issues with previous coaches or team policies." "We're not Father Flanagan around here," Saban said. "We're not here to make people do right. We're here to support them and help them if they want to do right. But that's going to be a responsibility they have to prove. They have to come in and overcome that."

The Boston Herald spotted... Pats Artrell Hawkins, Ty Warren, Eric Warfield, Marquise Hill, Wesly Britt and Michael McGrew making nice with big boss Bob Kraft by showing up at the benefit for his alma mater, Hebrew College Prozdor, at Gillette Stadium.

The oft-delayed trial of Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor was postponed again yesterday in a Miami court, with the new trial date of July 10 likely to be about three weeks before the opening of training camp.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Is it true Turley lost weight to compete for a tight end position? At least that was the rumor I heard.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
The Miami Herald reported that 11 of the 64 players who attended the Dolphins' minicamp, which ended Sunday,"came to camp with arrest records, or drug-test issues, or issues with previous coaches or team policies." "We're not Father Flanagan around here," Saban said. "We're not here to make people do right. We're here to support them and help them if they want to do right. But that's going to be a responsibility they have to prove. They have to come in and overcome that."

Nice.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
A source said the Dolphins were unlikely to sign rookie quarterback Marcus Vick, who is expected to instead pursue opportunities in the Canadian Football League. There also is a 50-50 chance the Dolphins will attempt to sign tight end Kyle Turley, a converted tackle who also participated in the minicamp.

Damn I called it. Hahaha.

Marcus Vick and Ricky Williams vs. Quincy Carter and Demtrius Summers.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BulletBob said:

I thought that was stellar too... :D

Bring in players with a drug history to a MAJOR gateway of drug trafficking...

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
SteveOS said:
Is it true Turley lost weight to compete for a tight end position? At least that was the rumor I heard.

Turley had a pretty serious back issue and was said to have dropped 60 lbs or so because of it. There were reports that he wanted to come back as a DT last year.

There's a lot of talk that there was another reason he lost so much weight looking at some of his past "rage" problems.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
SteveOS said:

Well, steroids are expensive when you don't have an NFL gig anymore.

JPM

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I thought that was stellar too... :D

Bring in players with a drug history to a MAJOR gateway of drug trafficking...

Maybe Nate Newton will come out of retirement.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Miami Herald reported that 11 of the 64 players who attended the Dolphins' minicamp, which ended Sunday,"came to camp with arrest records, or drug-test issues, or issues with previous coaches or team policies."

So what. Those are exactly the kinds of guys you bring in to camp when you have a strong coach like Saban. And it is mini-camp not the regular season.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Is anyone else bummed out that Holmgren is looking to extend his contract with Seattle? I was hoping he would take over when the New Jersey con man retired once again

Doomsday101

Reaction score
the_h0wey said:
Is anyone else bummed out that Holmgren is looking to extend his contract with Seattle? I was hoping he would take over when the New Jersey con man retired once again

No. I like Holmgren but I would rather have Parcells for a few more years.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
No. I like Holmgren but I would rather have Parcells for a few more years.

I totally agree, but it seems that after this 2 year contract is up Parcells will be calling it quits.