NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/11/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cornerback Ty Law remains the biggest free agent on the market, having drawn the interest of the Patriots, Titans, Chiefs, Browns and Seahawks. Law has reportedly spoken to Pats coach Bill Belichick, although the sides haven’t exchanged contract numbers. The 32-year-old was scheduled to meet with the Chiefs this week and seems a good fit for Kansas City, which has $9 million in cap space and a hole opposite starting corner Patrick Surtain.

Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers over the course of the past 10 seasons, has abruptly decided to retire from professional football. FOXSports.com has learned that Smith, who was selected to the Pro Bowl for five consecutive seasons from 1997-2001, has informed Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Jack Del Rio of his intention to call it quits after 12 seasons. The team is expected to hold a press a press conference Thursday to announce the decision — unless Smith has an 11th-hour change of heart.

Coach Nick Saban said last weekend that the Dolphins are still speaking with Detroit about trying to finalize a trade to get Harrington. If a deal can't be completed, the Lions will still release Harrington by June 15 to avoid having to pay him a $4 million roster bonus.

Although the search for Charley Casserly's replacement as Texans general manager will not begin for at least another week, expect Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith and Green Bay director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie to emerge as leading candidates. Texans owner Bob McNair will have no shortage of candidates eager to replace Casserly, and the list he puts together could start with Smith and McKenzie.

Jason Chayut, agent for Pats WR Deion Branch, said there’s no progress to report on an extension for the former Super Bowl MVP. Branch is in the last year of his five-year rookie contract and is slated to make just over $1 million this season. “It’s too early to put a timetable on anything,” Chayut said.

Word has it that the Chiefs will be bringing in tackle-turned-tight-end Kyle Turley for a workout next week. Turley is represented by Kansas City super agent Tom Condon. Turley, 30, was the No. 7 pick of the 1998 draft by the New Orleans Saints and then Saints general manager Bill Kuharich, now the Chiefs’ vice president of pro personnel. Turley has missed the last two years because of back problems but is 40 pounds lighter than his past playing weight of 300 with the Saints and Rams. He is attempting his comeback as a tight end.

Falcons coach Jim Mora could be one of the bright young coaches in the game. Or he could be a one-year wonder. Owner Arthur Blank recently gave him a “contract extension,” but logic dictates that was more for appearances than supreme confidence. In reality, all Blank did was guarantee two option years on Mora’s deal. That’s comforting when it comes to mortgage payments, but Mora also knows he can’t miss the playoffs two straight seasons.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Wednesday he is not interested in assuming the duties of ousted personnel director Fran Foley. Yet. The topic almost certainly will come up during a two-day ownership retreat scheduled to begin today at Winter Park. Childress said he would recommend filling the job rather than dissolving it, but said he would not be inclined to seek a dual role "at this point."

Toronto continued to talk with agent Leigh Steinberg about a possible deal with suspended Dolphins running back Ricky Williams. Steinberg again spoke with Dolphins president Bryan Wiedmeier about the team allowing Williams to play for the Argonauts. In addition, the Argonauts have said publicly they might test Williams for drug use, an attempt at appeasing fans there who have questioned the idea of bringing in Williams. Williams is expected to continue taking drug tests on his own to build a case for reinstatement to the NFL in 2007.

The Saints are still waiting for a decision from the league on whether rookie Reggie Bush will be allowed to wear his college No. 5 in the NFL. Sources anticipate that the NFL's competition committee will discuss the issue today in a conference call, but even the committee can only make a recommendation. It is unclear who will make the final decision.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance, formed to push for an increase in the number of minority head coaches and front-office personnel in the NFL, has submitted a list of four minority candidates to the league to replace Commissioner Paul Tagliabue , who has announced he will retire this summer. Washington attorney Cyrus Mehri , one of the founders of the alliance, said none of the four names submitted is employed by the league or any of its teams, but all have had dealings with the NFL or other sports leagues. The NFL also is likely to interview Harold Henderson , a league vice president who is in charge of labor relations and the highest-ranking black executive employed by the NFL.

Former Texans GM Charley Casserly and owner Bob McNair denied reports he had been fired. "No, he has not been fired, so you can forget that," McNair said emphatically during a news conference at Reliant Stadium. Casserly, who will stay on the job until June 1, was angry at reports he was fired. "Yeah, I am upset about that," he said. "I'm glad that question was asked and Bob answered it. I have not been fired. There's absolutely no truth to it. I could have stayed on but chose not to."

Agent Brian Levy said Tuesday night that former Dolphins CB Lance Schulters has received interest from three franchises and is weighing "which team has the best chance to win now. That is the most important thing to him at this stage of his career."

If the NFL is concerned whether there is enough of a thirst in Los Angeles for suites, club seats and personal seat licenses - key financing components for a new or rebuilt stadium - it shouldn't worry, said Los Angeles Sports Council president David Simon. "There is clearly a market. The demand exists," Simon said after releasing a study conducted by a group of students at UCLA's Anderson School of Business that asserts that sports pumped $1.66 billion into the local economy last year. The study says that figure represents a 62percent increase in revenues over the past decade, a majority of which have come from increases in ticket prices. Attendance has also continued to increase. The sports industry is growing at a faster rate than the national, state and local economies, according to the report.

Coach Brad Childress said he can foresee no scenario in which the Vikings will acquire a quarterback to compete with starter Brad Johnson. Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, selected in the second round of last month's draft, has been speaking daily with quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers.

Javon Walker doesn't believe he'll return from a major injury to his right knee the same player he used to be. That's a good thing, actually. "I'll come back faster than I was before," the former Pro Bowl wide receiver vowed Wednesday in Denver.

Chiefs star Larry Johnson also is emerging on the national scene. Johnson is appearing on the cover of the May 22 issue of ESPN The Magazine , available in newsstands now. The theme of the piece is a familiar one — that LJ thinks everyone wants him to fail.

Herman Edwards was sounding more and more like a man who wants to get Ty Law to Kansas City. He said they had a connection long ago, when Edwards scouted him out of college. He conceded that the Chiefs still have a need at cornerback, especially for a veteran who could become a marquee safety. Edwards said these things take time and he’s willing to be patient. “We didn’t sign him in New York until July,” he said. “Sometimes those guys wait a little while before they show up and decide to sign. So talks are on, and we’ll see where it’s at." Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson has again made it clear that the club won’t break the bank on Law, a 32-year-old free agent.

Saints RB Reggie Bush made a Tuesday night guest appearance on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live, which is taped in Los Angeles. Among other topics, Bush talked about being passed over with the No. 1 draft pick, he discussed what a humbling experience it was to visit the Ninth Ward, and he discussed his marketing and endorsement deals. He also said that when he found out he was going to New Orleans, he called friend and San Diego Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson for a little trash talking. "I told him to, 'Tell your coach thank you for Drew (Brees), because we're going to go win some playoff games now,' " Bush said.

Despite the ease and openness with which he's been greeted, Esera Tuaolo doesn't expect to see an openly gay player in the NFL anytime soon. "Times are changing," Tuaolo said. "Hopefully before I die, somebody will come out. But it's been very difficult and one of the reasons is just educating people. I think the NFL needs to do a better job of educating people on sexuality. "As far as race is concerned, the NFL involves everyone because of all of the people playing together. But as far as sexuality, it's still in the dark ages."

NFL Europe players receive $1,000 per game and get $25 for meals on off days. If you don't like the free meals at the team hotel, you're on your own.

Santonio Holmes made a good first impression on Hines Ward, personally when they met last week at the Steelers' training complex and professionally from what the veteran receiver has seen on highlight tapes. Ward also wants to help the rookie receiver assimilate into the Steelers' offense, though he learned a lesson about offering such help from the previous two receivers the Steelers drafted in the first round. So, if Holmes wants his help, starting with minicamp this weekend, he'll have to ask for it. "If he wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward said this week. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it. I did that before, and it didn't work."​

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers over the course of the past 10 seasons, has abruptly decided to retire from professional football. FOXSports.com has learned that Smith, who was selected to the Pro Bowl for five consecutive seasons from 1997-2001, has informed Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Jack Del Rio of his intention to call it quits after 12 seasons. The team is expected to hold a press a press conference Thursday to announce the decision — unless Smith has an 11th-hour change of heart.
I am 100% aware of his situation when he was with the Cowboys. But I still wonder if he is the biggest personel blunder we have ever made. I always liked him and thought that if he were teamed up with Michael Irvin we would have had the best starting WR's in the league. I had heard he was coming back for another year. In any case, I do wish him the best.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Smith was a great receiver....I will miss watching him play

Hopefully he'll change his mind and come back....say week 2.:laugh2:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Hopefully he'll change his mind and come back....say week 2.:laugh2:

That's right, I forgot we open the season against them.:eek::

His departure definitely makes them weaker. I'd rather cover Williams and Jones than have to deal with a savvy smart receiver like he was. Now we can blitz Leftwich with impunity.:)

deadrody

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I am 100% aware of his situation when he was with the Cowboys. But I still wonder if he is the biggest personel blunder we have ever made.
I'm not sure you do fully understand it. Smith was not "let go" because of some failure to properly evaluate his talent. That relationship was permanently broken due to non-football related reasons and Smith was never coming back to Dallas after that. It was a management blunder of sorts, but not a personnel blunder like Shante Carver, for instance.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
deadrody said:
I'm not sure you do fully understand it. Smith was not "let go" because of some failure to properly evaluate his talent. That relationship was permanently broken due to non-football related reasons and Smith was never coming back to Dallas after that. It was a management blunder of sorts, but not a personnel blunder like Shante Carver, for instance.
I understand perfectly. I was not some little kid when all this went down. I never said this had anything to do due to "some failure to properly evaluate his talent".

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Javon Walker doesn't believe he'll return from a major injury to his right knee the same player he used to be. That's a good thing, actually. "I'll come back faster than I was before," the former Pro Bowl wide receiver vowed Wednesday in Denver.

Who says that the Wonderlic isn't indicative of anything in football. Apparently if you score below a 10 on the test... you think that a knee injury helps your speed.

I bet if he has a few concusions he can bring that test score up into double digits!