NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/31/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

A Saints official said Tuesday that four teams have made trade offers for New Orleans running back Michael Bennett. The official declined to name any of the potential suitors, but speculation has been that the list includes the Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs. But the Saints continue to insist they will not just give away Bennett, who signed with New Orleans this offseason. Without the proper trade, the Saints say they will not make it.

Saints player personnel director Rick Mueller had his first interview for a general manger job Tuesday with the Houston Texans. Mueller, who has been with the Saints for six years, visited with Texans owner Bob McNair and coach Gary Kubiak and attended an afternoon practice on the first day of the team's organized activities. "I think it went well," Mueller said. "It was very informative, I think they've got a good organization, and I think there's good leadership at the top. It was a good day." Mueller reportedly is a long shot for the job, behind Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith and Green Bay pro personnel director Reggie McKenzie, both of whom have interviewed.

Here's a prediction: Rookie DeAngelo Williams, who drew rave reviews for the quickness and shiftiness he displayed during his first minicamp, will unseat DeShaun Foster, who is making a comeback from a broken leg last year, as the Carolina Panthers featured running back by the start of the regular season.

By most accounts, the Oakland Raiders will go with Aaron Brooks as their starting quarterback this season. However, it is likely that Brooks will operate on a fairly short leash. Andrew Walter, who sat out his rookie season in 2005 due to a sports hernia, should get plenty of exposure at quarterback during the preseason. If he clearly outperforms Brooks, he could end up with the No. 1 job.

The criticism doesn't bother Ricky Williams, either — especially not when it comes from Joe Theismann, who has ripped Williams for character issues on other occasions. "He says a remark about me that's offensive, then when he has to (broadcast) one of our (Dolphins) games, he comes in and apologizes," Williams said Tuesday. "So I'm sure next year, when he's doing a game, he'll come up to me and say 'I'm sorry.' "I don't hold any hard feelings against him."

The Tennessee Titans might not see the real LenDale White until training camp begins in late July. White, the team’s second-round pick out of Southern Cal, should be able to do some limited work in June, but chances are he won’t be fully ready. White is still recovering from the torn hamstring that cost him being able to run a 40 time at his pro day and ultimately contributed to his falling out of the first round of the NFL Draft.

New Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman was asked Tuesday if his resume is accurate. He laughed. His predecessor, Fran Foley, had an inaccurate resume that apparently contributed to his dismissal. "I didn't do it; those guys did it, so yell at them," Spielman joked, pointing to a couple of team media relations officials. Vikings media relations personnel didn't author Spielman's resume, but they did write his biography.

Tennessee, Baltimore, the NFL and the NFL Players Association continue waiting for an answer from the arbitrator in the Steve McNair grievance. Typically, the arbitrator emails his decision to all sides at the same time, but nothing has popped into anybody's in-box just yet. Maybe by the end of the week.

Since Doug Flutie's retirement, the following question has frequently been posed to me by fans and fellow media types: Should Flutie be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame? The answer: No.

Who Knew? No other professional football team has two Heisman Trophy winners on its roster, the way the Toronto Argonauts does. Running back Ricky Williams, newly signed to Toronto is the first; quarterback Eric Crouch is the second.

More evidence that some people will bet on anything: Eighty-two bettors placed a wager on BetUS.com predicting Marcus Vick's fate with the Dolphins, with 80 percent betting he will get fined, suspended or released for stomping on an opponent. FYI: Vick's humility and receptiveness to coaching have impressed teammates. His brother, Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, has called with advice.

Players rarely get the chance for a personal audience with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue but Giants running back Tiki Barber gets that opportunity tonight. Barber and Jonathan Tisch, the Giants treasurer as well as the chairman and CEO of Loews Hotels, will team up to interview Tagliabue at 8 p.m. at the 92nd Street Y.

Jets quarterback Chad Pennington took another step yesterday in his recovery from shoulder surgery, participating in drills during a non-contact practice at Hofstra, the team announced. Pennington, eight months removed from surgery, took snaps in the 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven portions of the practice and threw, according to a team spokesman. The voluntary session was closed to the media.

The Titans could have a tough decision on their hands, regarding playing time or even roster spots. Complicating the picture is that carrying Chris Brown, Travis Henry and LenDale White might tax special teams as none of them carry that skill on their résumé. “It puts a little pressure on some of the other areas, but you get into a situation where you may not be able to keep all three active,” Fisher admitted.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said rookie wide receiver/kick returner Cory Rodgers, who was arrested last week on weapons charges after a bar fight in Fort Worth, Texas, will attend the OTAs. "I had a long visit with him (Tuesday)," McCarthy said. Rodgers, a fourth-round pick from TCU, faces misdemeanor charges of unlawfully carrying a firearm and unlawfully discharging a firearm.

Packers cornerback Al Harris, who skipped the last minicamp to demonstrate his unhappiness with his contract, said Tuesday night he will not attend the OTAs.

Brett Favre is expected to be back at work today - and for at least a handful of other practices during the next 21 days, too - and the Green Bay Packers star quarterback's offseason to-do list remains a lengthy one. After taking four months to decide whether or not he wanted to come back for another year, Favre has to get his arm back into throwing shape, improve his fitness level and continue to learn new coach Mike McCarthy's strain of the West Coast offense. But one thing Favre might need to do during the Packers' organized team activity workouts - which begin today with the first of 14 practices, the remainder of which are sprinkled throughout June - is adjust his attitude.

The Washington Commanders signed defensive back Dennard Wilson and offensive lineman Daniel Martz yesterday. Wilson, 24, who played for Maryland, was injured on the first day of Washington's training camp in 2004 and underwent season-ending knee surgery. Since then he has helped coach at DeMatha, which he attended, and impressed the Commanders enough during a recent rookie camp to earn another contract. Martz, 24, played at Alabama and was signed following the NFL Europe season.