NFL | Sporting News up for sale

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:31:02 -0800

Julie Bosman, of the New York Times, reports one of the founders of Microsoft, Paul G. Allen, is looking for a buyer for The Sporting News magazine and its related properties. The 120-year-old weekly magazine ranks a distant third in its category, behind Sports Illustrated and ESPN magazine. Jay Kirsch, of AdMedia Partners, says, "They've got a very tough situation. They're fighting two very deep-pocketed companies who are also very established brands. And their niche as a data provider has been taken on by a lot of online sources." The magazine is estimated to be worth between $35 million and $40 million.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Is that all it's worth? 35-40 Mil? man that's an opportunity worth looking into. You may be able to snag that for 28-31 mil.

Hmmmmm.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
35-40 mill. huh?

What else does it do?

rlgiv

Reaction score
Did you see a number to call if interested? That would be much better than my job now.

rlgiv

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
We could all chip in and turn it in to the Cowboys Zone News :D

I have forty dollars on my dresser, but I wouldn't have money left over for gas and lunch today..........If somebody spots me 20 million I'm in.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
There is a reason that rag is up for sale. They started out as a baseball magazine a million years ago and still focus almost exclusively on baseball.

I used to have a subscription to them and was always disappointed with their coverage of other sports. Even during the week that baseball has off when it's not either Spring training, the endless regular season, or the interminable playoffs, they would still have at least half the magazine covering baseball.

Their website went to mostly pay info early on so I stopped going there, haven't been there in years now. ESPN has gone the same route which is why I don't visit there very often either.

I used to get Sports Illustrated for many years but that rag became more ads than articles and their writers went the way of the tabloids so I cancelled it after 20+ years as a subscriber.

Now I subscribe to nothing and am a happier man for it although I do miss some sports that I used to enjoy watching and reading about. I was a huge boxing fan until everything went to pay-per-view. Now I am a big time UFC fan since it is on Spike TV for free. When they go back to pay-per-view I will give that up as well.

Oh well, at least I have my grandkids to occupy my time.

lspain1

Reaction score
Interstingly, you guys have already started the conversation an investor might have as preparation to buy the company. Here is a company with some brand name recognition that has a base which has eroded over time. It has good distribution nationwide so there is a distributiion and advertising base base to build on. How difficult would it be to expand the coverage of the mag and bring in some free content to encourage folks to visit its website?

The drawback here is the fact that print media in general is under tough pressure from changing lifestyles and viewing/reading patterns in their audience. Any entrepeneurs here?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:31:02 -0800

Julie Bosman, of the New York Times, reports one of the founders of Microsoft, Paul G. Allen, is looking for a buyer for The Sporting News magazine and its related properties. The 120-year-old weekly magazine ranks a distant third in its category, behind Sports Illustrated and ESPN magazine. Jay Kirsch, of AdMedia Partners, says, "They've got a very tough situation. They're fighting two very deep-pocketed companies who are also very established brands. And their niche as a data provider has been taken on by a lot of online sources." The magazine is estimated to be worth between $35 million and $40 million.

Ive got to try to read faces now. Im in their building. Im on the 33rd floor and they are on 27. The elevator is always stopping to open up on TSN offices. Lots of young people working there.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?. TSN covers Football like no other magazine, just look at the year around Draft Coverage!. Plus they go in depth on College FB, as well as NASCAR, College BB and of Course Baseball. Maybe you guys should pick up a Copy' It's far better the SI and ESPN, the Magazine. I will agree however that their Website along with ESPN is mostly pay now and that Sucks. Sporting News Radio Rules BTW, far Superior to ESPN or Fox Radio.