NFL Video - Analogy of a Play - Romo to Witten for Game Winner

sago1

Reaction score
Was checking out NFL.com and came across 2 videos dealing with Cowboy win over the Lions. I don't know how to include both in this same message, so here's the first one. It's the play of the week highlighting Romo's throw to Witten to win the game. Nothing new but does include analysis of how the play was successful.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805113a9

The 2nd video on NFL.com is titled the game of the week and shows snippets of what happened during the game ending with Witten's catch of Romo throw for win. Has a few additional tidbits I don't think seen elsewhere. Sorry I don't know how to add that video to this posting w/o losing this posting. .

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sago1;1831486 said:
It's the play of the week highlighting Romo's throw to Witten to win the game. Nothing new but does include analysis of how the play was successful.

It also shows why and how the linebacker is often to blame on those type of plays, moreso than the safety who gets "beaten." If the linebacker doesn't do his job, it's very difficult for the safety to do his.

The 2nd video on NFL.com is titled the game of the week and shows snippets of what happened during the game ending with Witten's catch of Romo throw for win. Has a few additional tidbits I don't think seen elsewhere. Sorry I don't know how to add that video to this posting w/o losing this posting. .

I didn't see one titled "game of the week." Are you sure it's not the one titled "NFL GameDay"?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Looking at the wide field angle, it's interesting to see how badly TO beat his man as well. If Witten was covered Tony could have gone there for an easy TD as well. The CB was trying to jam TO and TO just abused him. Why do people keep saying TO isn't good at beating press coverage?

Temo

Reaction score
By the way, Owens had beat his man, but like so many times that game, they had a safety over the top to cover him. In fact, it was because the safety had to be ready to help on Owens that Witten was open after beating the linebacker.

Also, I couldn't understand why the Lions went base 4-3 that whole last drive... it was inane. They rushed 4 every play, and dropped linebackers like 10 yards off the line to guard Owens, leaving Barber UNCOVERED the whole last drive. It was horrible game situation scheming by whoever the Lion's DC is. Just terrible.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Temo;1832003 said:
By the way, Owens had beat his man, but like so many times that game, they had a safety over the top to cover him. In fact, it was because the safety had to be ready to help on Owens that Witten was open after beating the linebacker.

Also, I couldn't understand why the Lions went base 4-3 that whole last drive... it was inane. They rushed 4 every play, and dropped linebackers like 10 yards off the line to guard Owens, leaving Barber UNCOVERED the whole last drive. It was horrible game situation scheming by whoever the Lion's DC is. Just terrible.

The safety was really caught having to help with Owens and Witten, both of whom had clearly beat the initial coverage. He really didn't commit either way; there's no way he would have broken up a pass to either Owens or Witten. Really Crayton was wide open too. It's great to have so many weapons. Add Glenn and it's insane.

Agreed that the coverages Detroit was in were just brain dead. Was Zimmer hired by Detroit?

That was uncalled for, I apologize.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LOL @ the linebacker biting on the playaction, leaving Crayton wide open.

TheHerd

Reaction score
theogt;1832031 said:
LOL @ the linebacker biting on the playaction, leaving Crayton wide open.

With 22 seconds left and no timeouts! Football IQ: 37

pancakeman

Reaction score
TheHerd;1832034 said:
With 22 seconds left and no timeouts! Football IQ: 37

Yeah, as soon as I heard Brad Sham say "Play Action," I thought "why in the world would they bother with that, as if it would fool anybody in these circumstances." And lo and behold, it did!

Temo

Reaction score
TheHerd;1832022 said:
The safety was really caught having to help with Owens and Witten, both of whom had clearly beat the initial coverage. He really didn't commit either way; there's no way he would have broken up a pass to either Owens or Witten. Really Crayton was wide open too. It's great to have so many weapons. Add Glenn and it's insane.

Agreed that the coverages Detroit was in were just brain dead. Was Zimmer hired by Detroit?

That was uncalled for, I apologize.

Agree to disagree then, I thought the safety was in excellent position to defense any pass to owens.

WarC

Reaction score
Whats going on in my pants right now is sort of an analogy to this play.