Twitter: NFL will not use automated first down tracking for 2024 season

Praxit

Reaction score
....yep, better to stay tangible with chains. I thought it ridiculous, seeing refs looking at PC for the decision. lol...

In all that, it took about 3-4 mins while deciding. Times that by 20 per game that's probably 30 mins of wasted time.

Sepia

Reaction score
I am immediately suspicious of it. I feel like they can just give you a first down, or deny one, and blame it on the chip or whatever it is. No one can argue. Chain gang is part of the fun of watching, I realize.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am immediately suspicious of it. I feel like they can just give you a first down, or deny one, and blame it on the chip or whatever it is. No one can argue. Chain gang is part of the fun of watching, I realize.
According to the article, even if they had used the technology, the chain gang was gonna still be there as a backup. Because we all know technology can fail sometimes.

conner01

Reaction score
....yep, better to stay tangible with chains. I thought it ridiculous, seeing refs looking at PC for the decision. lol...

In all that, it took about 3-4 mins while deciding. Times that by 20 per game that's probably 30 mins of wasted time.
Not sure it’s needed. The chains aren’t really the issue, the spot is generally where an issue comes up

erod

Reaction score
All for it, but it needs to be virtually immediate like in professional tennis.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Remember the theatrics of first down by a paper card by the refree , we will miss those , LOL

plasticman

Reaction score
Dang! A group of us were trying to figure a way to hack into it's program.

The Cowboys were going to win every 1st down decision.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The chain gang is archaic. And having a game ending drive hinge on a old man eye balling a spot is just plain stupid. The N.F.L. is well overdue for an automatic spotting/tracking system.

Embracing human error in a multi billion dollar business which can be minimized is profoundly ignorant.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
They need to be used in conjunction with the chains.you dont see Tennis or Cricket removing line judges or umpires just because they have Hawkeye.only review extremely close calls.