"Nickel run" statement

Wolfpack

Reaction score
It means they are trying to run out of a 3 WR set or a similar set with a TE in the slot.

Isn't that what they tried last year then brought in a FB mid season ?

conner01

Reaction score
there are generally two schools of thought. power running, just line up as many as possible on the line and power thru the defense. parcells liked this formation,or spread them out and find the gaps. murray i think is better when they are spread out. it creates more lanes for rb's to run thru. if it's short yardage then the power stuff if fine but spreading them out creates more opportunities for big runs

Phoenix

Reaction score
Ah, okay. I did understand the spread out stuff but the 12 man allusion eluded me.

And yes, I agree that he (Murray) is good in space. Love his vision.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am thoroughly confused by Todd Archer's statement here, please can anybody translate...?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4730667/cowboys-wake-up-call-day-6

Through the first couple of days the Cowboys have excelled with their nickel runs. I’ve long believed DeMarco Murray is better out of 11 personnel or even 12 if the tight end is flexed. It just creates more lanes for him.

11 Personnel = 3 WRs (nickel offense)

12 Personnel with TE flexed = same as 3 WRs except slot WR is replaced by TE

Defenses are more spread out against 3 WRs and they have a Slot CB replacing a LB. Defenses often play with wider spacing in the DL in the nickel and will replace run defenders at the 1-tech with a pass rusher (3-tech). They might also use more of a pass rusher at the Strong Side DE position as opposed to more of a run defender there in the base defense. This all adds up to the defense being weaker against the run than they would be in the base defense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This article talks about Beasley and Escobar in those packages:

Will Cowboys have to choose between playing Gavin Escobar, Cole Beasley?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Those alignments give another advantage - generally the D counters with an additional DB. Easier to break a DB's tackle over an LB

CCBoy

Reaction score
...and it should be a lot easier to block a DB on a run as well.