No contract for Q-Car

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Per Rotoworld (FWIW):

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano hinted that the team will not be adding free agent Quincy Carter to its roster at this time.

Sparano would only say that Carter "threw the ball well" during his Thursday tryout. Carter tried to compare his situation of getting few chances in the NFL to Ricky Williams', but the reality is that Williams was/is a good player and Carter never was. He could barely even make it in the Arena ranks.

Sounds like Quincy should hang em up. Too bad it didn't work out, though.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rotoworld, are they any good? Anyway, if true, I'm sorry it didn't work out. At least he got a chance.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2170564 said:
Rotoworld, are they any good? Anyway, if true, I'm sorry it didn't work out. At least he got a chance.

Just like any other source. Some is speculation, some have sources listed. I like it because it's constantly updating with info on other teams.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine who thought he would get signed. I think this was a good opportunity for him to get some NFL tape on him that he could send around the league.

A tryout isn't much, but who knows what it could lead to. A spot as the 3rd QB on an NFL squad...or an opportunity to embrace his AFL opportunity.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2170571 said:
I can't imagine who thought he would get signed. I think this was a good opportunity for him to get some NFL tape on him that he could send around the league.

A tryout isn't much, but who knows what it could lead to. A spot as the 3rd QB on an NFL squad...or an opportunity to embrace his AFL opportunity.

If AF2 teams are cutting him, there's got to be more to the story.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I would like to see more than just 'he threw the ball well' before writing him off from joining the Dolphins. They may still be evaluating their own players before making a decision or waiting until the season starts so they don't have to guarantee his contract.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Carter could beat out those slugs the mullets have. Miami has the worst QB situation in the league.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2170579 said:
If AF2 teams are cutting him, there's got to be more to the story.
He was cut (or left who knows) from the AF2 team before his latest rehab stint in Jan.

He's currently signed with KC AFL team. The NFL tryout is what AFL players try to get when their season is over and NFL camps are under way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oxnard in my rear-view mirror

August 1, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Just a quick note to let you guys know that I'll be traveling throughout the day, which will, likely, limit my blog production. Couple things to consider while I'm in the air:

Without being too specific, I think Quincy Carter has a lot better chance of landing a roster spot with the Dolphins than most people think. I listened to head coach Tony Sparano's comments Thursday and I remember what quarterbacks coach David Lee thought of him four years ago.

In 2003, Carter's ability to make plays with his legs made up for a lot of warts. That Cowboys team had Troy Hambrick starting at running back for goodness sakes.

In talking to a couple of people who have seen Carter throw recently, the arm strength is still there. He was a little overweight as of a few weeks ago, but that could be remedied pretty quickly.

The most important thing is that he's reportedly drug free after spending time with former Cowboys linebacker Hollywood Henderson, who helps run a rehab center in Florida.

OK, I was supposed to turn off my electronic device 10 minutes ago.

Dallas Cowboys, Quincy Carter

Read comments or leave a comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The redemption of Quincy

July 31, 2008 8:03 PM

Carter
Just in from our Stories We Never Imagined In A Million Years department, former Cowboys and Jets quarterback Quincy Carter worked out for the Miami Dolphins on Thursday. The story was broken by Michael Irvin on the ESPN Radio affiliate in Dallas and it was confirmed by Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano on Thursday.

"This isn't going to change," Sparano said. "We're just going to keep flipping over stones and bringing in a lot of people. It's probably not going to change for two or three years."

So are we to believe that Carter was brought in for a ceremonial workout by Bill Parcells? Sort of a slap on the butt for conquering (at least for the time being) the demons that sent his career spiraling into oblivion. Honestly, I've never met this Bill the Redeemer character. He's definitely sentimental at times, but once you let him down -- especially in such spectacular fashion -- he's done with you.

I would bet all the money left in my Bank of America savings account ($27) that the Dolphins aren't going to sign Carter. Offensive coordinator Dan Henning and quarterbacks coach David Lee are desperately trying to figure out what they have in second-year quarterback John Beck and rookie Chad Henne. To bring in a man whose only recent experience was with the Kansas City Brigade is a reach. And if they are considering signing him, it speaks volumes about their current quarterbacks.

I was sitting in the front row of Parcells' news conference four years ago when he and owner Jerry Jones announced that Carter had been released. It was a stunning turn of events after Carter had helped lead the team to a playoff appearance following three consecutive 5-11 seasons. When a reporter asked whether Parcells would consider bringing Carter back someday, he said yes. I just thought he was being gracious at the time.

Earlier Thursday, a high-ranking member of the organization told me the Cowboys actually considered bringing Carter back a few weeks after he'd been cut in 2004. Vinny Testaverde became the starter that season and was backed up by Drew Henson and a kid named Tony Romo -- in that exact order.

If Carter had remained with the team, the legend of Romo may have never been born. My South Florida crew has gone underground on this topic, but I'll gather a few more details while I'm driving to Los Angeles tonight.

General manager Jeff Ireland, Sparano, Lee and of course Parcells were all around on Aug. 6, 2004, the day Carter answered his hotel-room door at 6:30 a.m. and was summoned to meet with Parcells and Jones.

He woke up reserve running back Aveion Cason to say goodbye and then he left training camp for good. I recall the Dallas Morning News' Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Irwin Thompson driving 80 miles to track down a photograph that a random fan took of Carter as he left the Oxnard campus.

The last I heard from Carter, he was being bailed out of jail by an afternoon radio show in Dallas following another marijuana arrest. In the past year, he spent time in a drug rehab program run by former Cowboys linebacker Hollywood Henderson.

I was pretty surprised -- and pleased -- to hear about Carter signing with an Arena League team, but I was absolutely stunned to hear about his workout Thursday.

I just spent a few minutes talking to Tony Romo about the topic and he was genuinely happy to hear that Carter had the opportunity. He also said it didn't surprise him that much that Parcells would take a look at Carter.

Quincy Carter, Jeff Ireland, Tony Sparano, Aveion Cason, Hollywood Henderson, Jerry Jones, Bill Parcells, Tony Romo, Drew Henson, Vinny Testaverde

Read comments or leave a comment

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The main problem was that Quincy Carter was never really that talented to begin with.

Complicating things further, he played Quarterback and he had a ton of personal problems.

I did always feel that Bill Parcells liked the guy though. He just never could trust him and hence made a good decision by releasing him.

Maybe he showed enough to at least get a look by some other teams or somebody in the organization can put in a good word for him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Sometimes people have all the riches in their hands, and they have no clue of how to hold on to it.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I listened to Sparano's press conference from this morning and he was asked about Carter twice. The first one I couldn't understand but he responded 'it was fine, it was just a tryout'. The second question was about how Carter looked and Sparano responded 'He looked fine, he threw the ball well'. That was the extent of the questions regarding Sparano. I don't think you can read much from those quotes.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2170694 said:
August 1, 2008 1:14 PM

Without being too specific, I think Quincy Carter has a lot better chance of landing a roster spot with the Dolphins than most people think.

WoodysGirl;2170694 said:
July 31, 2008 8:03 PM

I would bet all the money left in my Bank of America savings account ($27) that the Dolphins aren't going to sign Carter.

What a difference a day makes.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
Don't q-car still gotta sit out a number of games before he can play again anyways?

AtlCB

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2170714 said:
The main problem was that Quincy Carter was never really that talented to begin with.

Complicating things further, he played Quarterback and he had a ton of personal problems.

I did always feel that Bill Parcells liked the guy though. He just never could trust him and hence made a good decision by releasing him.

Maybe he showed enough to at least get a look by some other teams or somebody in the organization can put in a good word for him.
I think Carter had the talent; he was just inconsistant and emotionally unable to handle the pressure of being a starting QB in the NFL. He still could have been an effective second string QB if he stayed away from drugs - something he was unable to do.