No Cowboy Draft Pick Signings to Date

sago1

Reaction score
I know Cowboys always wait to until almost last minute before signing their draft picks, but this time it's even worse then usual. Here it's July 23, 3:45AM EST with only the rest of today & 3 more days and a wakeup before the team charter on July 27 flies to California and we've heard of no repeat no signings--not even late round picks. I'm not expecting first day picks to be signed yet cause we all only expect that to happen 1-2 days before TC opens, but late round picks usually start to trickle in by now.

I'm not worried about getting them all signed, mostly just more annoyed then anything cause these signings are a signal TC is on the way and we can begun serious Cowboy football talks. If I wasn't such a huge & dedicated Cowboy fan, I'd almost wish our 06 draft class would have bonded so much together that they mutually decided to show this unity by not signing any contracts until after Jerry Jones & Parcells hold their joint PC in California on July 28--the day after team charter arrived in Oxnard, California. Don't you think the failure of all 7 picks to sign their contracts would disrupt said PC a little; might even cause Jones to sweat a little.

I also realize it possibility Cowboys have already received signed contracts back from some of these players but simply haven't chosen to make them public yet but it still irks me. Suspect we will hear of some late round signings by tomorrow evening but still.......I'm royally ticked (would have used a stronger word here) off.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
we got witten re-signed thought :) which is almost if not better

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I guess we are just gonna play this year w/o our rookies. :rolleyes:

lspain1

Reaction score
It was reported last week that they have made an offer to Carpenter. Negotiations are proceeding. I think this will turn out OK.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with Dallas getting the rookies signed. We go through this each year and in the end Jerry gets these guys signed. I have some concerns about this season but getting draft picks signed is not one of them

Reaction score
You started a post and stated I know we sign till the end, so why are you worry then? If by Thursday we have NOONE sign then I'll worry right along with you.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WilmingtonHeel said:
You started a post and stated I know we sign till the end, so why are you worry then? If by Thursday we have NOONE sign then I'll worry right along with you.

and even then I wouldn't worry, since Spears missed the 1st 2 practices last year because he didn't have a contract signed

Duane

Reaction score
Jerry will give all of them fair offers and everyone will be in camp this weekend.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I'm not worried. We've got high character guys. We'll get everyone signed after a day or 2 of camp at the latest.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
It was reported last week that they have made an offer to Carpenter. Negotiations are proceeding. I think this will turn out OK.

ummm. how many first rounders have signed so far?

what is it up to, two?

Wimbo

Reaction score
Offers are out.

Cowboys Send Contract Offers To Rookies

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
July 19, 2006 8:37 PM Change Font Size A A A A

The Cowboys are hoping to get first-round pick Bobby Carpenter signed before the start of camp.

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys are generally one of the last teams to sign all of their draft picks, but with a full week remaining before the start of training camp, the club has at least started the process.

The Cowboys have now offered contracts to most of their eight draft picks, including first-round selection Bobby Carpenter, the 18th overall pick in the draft.

Carpenter will likely end up with a five-year contract in the neighborhood of $10 million, similar to what Minnesota gave defensive end Erasmus James last year. James, the 18th pick in the 2005 draft, eventually signed a five-year, $9.8 million deal.

The Cowboys sent out four-year deals to the other seven draft picks. Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams cannot sign first-round picks to contracts longer than five years. Draft picks selected in the second round and later cannot get deals more than four years.

The Cowboys have about $3.8 million to work with from the rookie pool, which was distributed by the NFL.

But it should be much easier to get the deals done this year. Last season, without a new CBA in place, many teams had trouble signing their rookies because the league prevented teams from prorating any signing bonus past four years.

As a result, many teams, including the Cowboys who a pair of first-round picks, had to get creative in the language of the contracts. DeMarcus Ware and Marcus Spears both missed the first day of training camp practice, but eventually signed their respective deals in time to practice on the second day of camp.

However, the Cowboys are expecting all eight of their draft picks to be under contract before the team's first training camp practice on July 29. The Cowboys depart for Oxnard, Calif. of July 27.

With 89 players on the current roster, the Cowboys can only take 86 to camp, including six roster exemptions. Once all of the rookies are signed, the Cowboys must release three players. One of which will likely be seventh-round pick E.J. Whitley. The former Texas Tech offensive lineman suffered a torn ACL in the rookie mini-camp and will likely go to injured reserve.