No Real Surprises

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, the only surprise I saw in the entire round of cuts was that we actually kept the players who produced the best in preseason with no regard to signing bonus or draft position. I'm thrilled and don't see how anyone can really be surprised by any of the cuts.

Copper was a good special teamer, but he's been here long enough to prove he's not an NFL WR, and you can't keep a guy over better players just because you know he'll run down on punts and kickoffs...he's not a Bates type who made plays on punt, kickoff, and blocked well on return teams and was a solid backup.

Boiman's only surprise is the signing bonus, but I'm actually proud of parcells for going with the young guys who were showing more talent...I think Hoight will be a beast in the future.

Stanley was a surprise cut only in that he was a valuable draft pick...not many guys picked in round 6 get cut the first camp...but he really did look like a soft, fatty.

I know some of you are surprised by Pettitti's cut, but let's face it...he was not a good enough pass protector to actually start on either side. He was the 3rd best OT on each side, and with only a month or so at LT, a major risk as the swing guy ahead of Fabini...Fabini has been in the competition at RT all year and is actually more of a LT, so it only makes sense to keep him as the swing guy if the goal is to win this year, not just hope younger guys work out in future years.

I wish Pettitti the best...I don't see him as a good option at OT, but if there's a team out there that has a need for a huge OG in the mold of Gogan, I think Pettitti would be the guy...not all teams do a great deal of pulling with their guards, and certainly Rob would be better at pass protection in there, imo.

I'm very very excited about the 53 guys we still have on board.