No Super Bowl for Dome Teams

birdwells1

Reaction score
I went back after the Buffalo game to look, from a historical standpoint, how dome teams road in the playoffs were. I was kinda amazed at how much home field advantage played a roll. I looked back since 1999 when Atlanta beat The Vikings to go to the Super Bowl and I found some interesting stats.

Since 1999:
There has been 8 domed teams to make the Super Bowl
There has been 3 Super Bowl winners ever
The 8 teams that played in the Super Bowl played a total of 20 games to get there
Out of the 20 games it was 16 home games and 4 road games
Of the 4 road games 2 were in domes (Atl vs Min and LAR vs NO)
Of the 2 outside road games one was when Rams played at Tampa in 2021 with 70 degrees temperatures
The other was when Indy and Manning went to Balt and beat the Raven 15-9 All field goals

The Cowboys have built their team to be a high flying passing team but I rarely see a dome team that's gritty, physical and tough minded.

They also built their defense to be a pass rush/pass defending team, not caring too much about the run game or stopping the run.

This team is a front runner, if the get the lead on you they get to play to their strengths but if not they struggled.

You could see the confidence leave and doubt set in when the Packer scored first and even more when our offense didn't respond.

They need to build this team like a prime Patriots, GB, and KC all these teams could beat you beat you passing or throwing no matter the weather they would just adapt.

The run game and the run defense must be made a priority or win home field advantage throughout the playoff and don't choke!!!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If you really want to build a team that is a super bowl contender I think the 2014 Cowboys are a great template to go off of. Power run game to take the pressure off your QB despite a really good WR/TE combo both still in their primes. Defensively they really didn't have a true superstar, in fact the stars on defense were mostly underachieves like Mo Claiborne, but they did have a lot of guys who were just good solid football players. I'd love to have a Rolando McLain type at LB right now.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
no-super-bowl-fjwujm.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you really want to build a team that is a super bowl contender I think the 2014 Cowboys are a great template to go off of. Power run game to take the pressure off your QB despite a really good WR/TE combo both still in their primes. Defensively they really didn't have a true superstar, in fact the stars on defense were mostly underachieves like Mo Claiborne, but they did have a lot of guys who were just good solid football players. I'd love to have a Rolando McLain type at LB right now.
They foolishly spent their resources all on offensive line. Three first round picks on that line and then had to pay them big money. This team has always had issues building line without first rounders on it. Some of those resources needed to be on defense.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
They foolishly spent their resources all on offensive line. Three first round picks on that line and then had to pay them big money. This team has always had issues building line without first rounders on it. Some of those resources needed to be on defense.
Then they blame the defense while the offense just takes a nap through an entire half of a playoff game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys spent a 1st, 2nd and 4th on the DL the last 2 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They did use some of those resources in 1st round on DL this era like Clairborne , Taco, Trysten ( 1st player selected )all bust. Mazi looking like another bust.

And that doesn’t count some 2nd round risk which didn’t turned out very well either in Gregory & Jaylen.

That’s a lot of resources which could have made a huge difference if worked out even close to our offensive resources used.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Man!!!! That was my favorite offense since the 90s super bowl teams, sad that they could not get to Rodgers that game. We haven't had a dog at LBer since McClain, just imagine if he was on this team.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Fair take, it did feel like that defense needed one more playmaker on defense, but that Oline was sooooo good that year.

I think the bigger issue is completely whiffing on the Mo Claiborne pick after trading up. Had they just stayed still they could have had a Michael Brockers plus who knows who they would have taken in round 2.....I think they were slated to pick around where Bobby Wagner went if I remember correctly.

I don't look as much at value of the positions you pick in the 1st round, I know some people hate going Oline for this unless its that can't miss LT prospect, but I think it's so much more important to just make sure you consistently hit on good players with those first two picks in your draft.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Man!!!! That was my favorite offense since the 90s super bowl teams, sad that they could not get to Rodgers that game. We haven't had a dog at LBer since McClain, just imagine if he was on this team.
It's the last time i really felt like this team could go on the road to play anyone in the league at any time of the year and feel confident in their chances. 2016 was close, but 2014 is the year I really felt like this team should have won it all.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The outdoor stadium Cowboys went to 8 SBs. The indoor stadium Cowboys haven’t yet been to an NFCCG. It is not a coincidence
I think that the overall mistakes in player evaluation and selection have doomed the team to getting close enough to make people hope but no way would they make it
when you basically ignore other player FA and only trade low rd picks, you cannot afford ANY mistakes in drafting and everyone makes mistakes there. Jimmy made quite a few but he had so many it did not matter.
Of course this is added on top of the dead weight of Jethro and company eternally dragging us down

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I think that the overall mistakes in player evaluation and selection have doomed the team to getting close enough to make people hope but no way would they make it
when you basically ignore other player FA and only trade low rd picks, you cannot afford ANY mistakes in drafting and everyone makes mistakes there. Jimmy made quite a few but he had so many it did not matter.
Of course this is added on top of the dead weight of Jethro and company eternally dragging us down
The player evaluation or lack thereof of guys who were drafted by the Cowboys is where this team suffers. They take average guys and elevate them into super star status claiming that they are just as good as any other elite player in the NFL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They did use some of those resources in 1st round on DL this era like Clairborne , Taco, Trysten ( 1st player selected )all bust. Mazi looking like another bust.

And that doesn’t count some 2nd round risk which didn’t turned out very well either in Gregory & Jaylen.

That’s a lot of resources which could have made a huge difference if worked out even close to our offensive resources used.
I’m just saying teams find offensive linemen all through the draft. Three first rounders were overkill. Not to mentioned a 4th overall pick on a running back. Not how you build a team IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fair take, it did feel like that defense needed one more playmaker on defense, but that Oline was sooooo good that year.

I think the bigger issue is completely whiffing on the Mo Claiborne pick after trading up. Had they just stayed still they could have had a Michael Brockers plus who knows who they would have taken in round 2.....I think they were slated to pick around where Bobby Wagner went if I remember correctly.

I don't look as much at value of the positions you pick in the 1st round, I know some people hate going Oline for this unless its that can't miss LT prospect, but I think it's so much more important to just make sure you consistently hit on good players with those first two picks in your draft.
And I get that too. But you gotta trust your front office as well. I think that’s how we ended up with Schoon. Playing it safe which is interesting since we take risks typically in the 2nd round. I have less of an issue with taking 3 linemen in the first and more so with not being able to find linemen outside of it.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I went back after the Buffalo game to look, from a historical standpoint, how dome teams road in the playoffs were. I was kinda amazed at how much home field advantage played a roll. I looked back since 1999 when Atlanta beat The Vikings to go to the Super Bowl and I found some interesting stats.

Since 1999:
There has been 8 domed teams to make the Super Bowl
There has been 3 Super Bowl winners ever
The 8 teams that played in the Super Bowl played a total of 20 games to get there
Out of the 20 games it was 16 home games and 4 road games
Of the 4 road games 2 were in domes (Atl vs Min and LAR vs NO)
Of the 2 outside road games one was when Rams played at Tampa in 2021 with 70 degrees temperatures
The other was when Indy and Manning went to Balt and beat the Raven 15-9 All field goals

The Cowboys have built their team to be a high flying passing team but I rarely see a dome team that's gritty, physical and tough minded.

They also built their defense to be a pass rush/pass defending team, not caring too much about the run game or stopping the run.

This team is a front runner, if the get the lead on you they get to play to their strengths but if not they struggled.

You could see the confidence leave and doubt set in when the Packer scored first and even more when our offense didn't respond.

They need to build this team like a prime Patriots, GB, and KC all these teams could beat you beat you passing or throwing no matter the weather they would just adapt.

The run game and the run defense must be made a priority or win home field advantage throughout the playoff and don't choke!!!!
Butbut. But , that GB playoffgame was played at home , where we got blasted.....