No Tony Romo Scrambling anymore? *sniffle*

tskyler

Reaction score
First, preface this with, I think this was a solid win. Mistakes were there but I am pretty darned pumped. I don't know whether this observation is a) true b) if true whether this is a bad thing. Maybe just more maturity as a QB is responsible c) is irrelevant since we have so many new weapons.

Ok, so the comment. It seems to me that when he first got the starting QB position, every other game Tony would have four or five scrambles for ten to twenty yards. Its just seems like Romo has excluded the scramble past the line of scrimmage from his repertoire. I think this may be responsible for some of the extra coverage we see on Witten and penetration by LB's that we didn't used to see. (not that we see that much penetration). I don't know when this started maybe early last season, at the latest it was middle of the season. He still has his loveable/amazing/crazy scrambles behind the LOS. He just seems to always try for a throw after he escapes. (Again, maybe this is a good thing) Just seems like he is less Staubach and more of a Brady type.

Discuss

Skyler

deepBLUE

Reaction score
i feel the same way...and i don't much like it. fact is, if romo runs 2-3 times every game...the defense will have to account for it: it adds yet another dimension that "keeps 'em honest".

i'm certainly not advocating anything that would put romo in danger...but i definitely want to see him gain 6-7 yards in front of him; instead of trying to squeeze the ball somewhere it doesn't belong...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Yeah, remember how when Romo first came onto the scene people said he was a quarterback that teams *wanted* to make throw from the pocket? Certainly, he had the reputation early as being a guy that wanted to be on the move.

I do think it's just part of his maturity. Look at McNabb, too. Part of it is probably the "business decision" as Deion would say, knowing that it's best big picture not to be throwing his body around too much. Throw in the fact he has all those weapons to throw too, he'd probably much rather unleash the ball to one of them than take off and run.

I do hope that he doesn't completely stop running if it poses the chance for a big gain. But I don't think it's too bad to try to be a Brady, either. :) The great thing with Romo is that he's still elusive in the pocket, even if he's not trying to take off and run upfield.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't care how good of a scrambler my QB is, in todays NFL you do not want your QB taking unnecessary high impact hits when he is running around trying to get a 1st down, ie he gets drilled going into a slide.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Honestly, I think he is slower now than when he first started. Why? haven't got a clue.

I really think that he should scramble only to keep the defense honest.

Think about it, McNabb don't scramble as much as he used too either. Maybe it's maturity, age, or even by conscious design.

yeah, that's it, conscious design.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
lcharles;2277472 said:
Honestly, I think he is slower now than when he first started. Why? haven't got a clue.

I really think that he should scramble only to keep the defense honest.

Think about it, McNabb don't scramble as much as he used too either. Maybe it's maturity, age, or even by conscious design.

yeah, that's it, conscious design.

:lmao2:

That's just funny stuff right there.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
tskyler;2277400 said:
First, preface this with, I think this was a solid win. Mistakes were there but I am pretty darned pumped. I don't know whether this observation is a) true b) if true whether this is a bad thing. Maybe just more maturity as a QB is responsible c) is irrelevant since we have so many new weapons.

Ok, so the comment. It seems to me that when he first got the starting QB position, every other game Tony would have four or five scrambles for ten to twenty yards. Its just seems like Romo has excluded the scramble past the line of scrimmage from his repertoire. I think this may be responsible for some of the extra coverage we see on Witten and penetration by LB's that we didn't used to see. (not that we see that much penetration). I don't know when this started maybe early last season, at the latest it was middle of the season. He still has his loveable/amazing/crazy scrambles behind the LOS. He just seems to always try for a throw after he escapes. (Again, maybe this is a good thing) Just seems like he is less Staubach and more of a Brady type.

Discuss

Skyler

When his arm became worth MILLiONS, i think they told him to take it slow.:)

tskyler

Reaction score
I guess one thing I should have asked was has he had room to run on some of these interception scrambles? I havent really looked too hard. Maybe they just arent there... I seem to remember one this year that looked like he had a lot of daylight. Just don't know. Feel bad raising the question without know if its even been an option.

Skyler

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think his emulation of Tom Brady's 'stand flat footed in the pocket' style has diminished a bit of what made Tony Romo Tony Romo.

I'm glad we here weren't alone in noticing a few times when he could have scrambled but instead waited and got into trouble or just chucked the ball. I'd like to see him scramble more...it could help make those Dlinemen a little less aggressive knowing he may run.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Tony has never been a scrambler or runner. He is an escaper, but that's it. He averages 2 to 3 carries a game. A lot of those are probably kneel downs as well. He's on pace for more carries this year than last year.