Norm Chow as a head coach?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Every time I watch a USC game the announcers talk about how they can't believe he hasn't been offered a job as head coach. I have seen him interviewed and don't get the impression he wants to be a head coach. Looks like he enjoys being out of the spotlight.

I don't know if he will be a good head coach or not. Being a good offensive or defensive coordinator doesn't necessarily translate into being a good head coach. I think it is also harder to do both jobs at once. Dallas could use Chow as their offensive coordinator.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking that he was not interested in being a head coach...but I also heard that he was really wanting that Stanford Job and did not get it...so who knows.

I just know this, the guy must be doing something right as he has coached multiple Heisman trophy winners....and National Champ teams.

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Being a good offensive or defensive coordinator doesn't necessarily translate into being a good head coach.

a_campo_i.jpg
"Exactly what are you trying to say!!!???"

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Every time I watch a USC game the announcers talk about how they can't believe he hasn't been offered a job as head coach. I have seen him interviewed and don't get the impression he wants to be a head coach. Looks like he enjoys being out of the spotlight.

I don't know if he will be a good head coach or not. Being a good offensive or defensive coordinator doesn't necessarily translate into being a good head coach. I think it is also harder to do both jobs at once. Dallas could use Chow as their offensive coordinator.

If we were ever to try the WCO, I'd like to see Chow as the OC for the Cowboys. Anything to wake up this anemic scoring offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
a_campo_i.jpg
"Exactly what are you trying to say!!!???"

I'll say this much for Dave, he was put into a no win situation in Dallas. Cap strapped team, Aikman retires and no QB in place to take over, players who went over his head (and I do blame Jerry for allowing that to happen). I'm not saying Dave will ever be a great HC but to judge him based on what took place in Dallas is a bit unfair.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
What people don't get is the skill requirements for the NFL and College game are entirely different. To be a successfull coach in the NFL, you have to be able to recognize and manage talent. And by managing talent, I mean you have to be able to be a leader while still managing egos. That's hard to do. Most disciplinarians rub the star players the wrong way. And the soft guys don't earn enough respect or discipline from thei players.

To be a successfull college coach, you have to be adept at developing talent and teaching. There are always exceptions to this rule. Andy Reid is a soft-spoken genius and he still earns the respect of his players.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'll say this much for Dave, he was put into a no win situation in Dallas. Cap strapped team, Aikman retires and no QB in place to take over, players who went over his head (and I do blame Jerry for allowing that to happen). I'm not saying Dave will ever be a great HC but to judge him based on what took place in Dallas is a bit unfair.

He was definitly put in a tough situation but that doesn't justify three 5-11 seasons. You can forgive the first season but no improvement over the next two seasons was just pathetic. Last year was basically the same team from 2002 and Parcells led it to a 10-6 record. The difference between Parcells and Campo is that Parcells is a leader. Leadership is something you are born with. Campo just lacked that ability. He was a nice guy and a good defensive coordinator but he didn't command his team and control it like Parcells. His players never felt like he was the one in charge. Even if Jerry is in charge of the drafts, Campo is still responsible for holding players accountable for mistakes and instilling a sense of fear in them so they don't repeat them.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I was thinking that he was not interested in being a head coach...but I also heard that he was really wanting that Stanford Job and did not get it...so who knows.

I just know this, the guy must be doing something right as he has coached multiple Heisman trophy winners....and National Champ teams.

I think Chow is really smart and waiting for the program that best suits his offense and provides him with a chance at winning a national championship. I don't think he will settle on a BYU or another program like that. Chow will go to a big name school in a warm climate that suits his offense like the University of Miami or another Pac 10 school. I'm suprised Arizona St. didn't talk to him or go after him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I think Chow is really smart and waiting for the program that best suits his offense and provides him with a chance at winning a national championship. I don't think he will settle on a BYU or another program like that. Chow will go to a big name school in a warm climate that suits his offense like the University of Miami or another Pac 10 school. I'm suprised Arizona St. didn't talk to him or go after him.

I have not heard anything that would suggest what I'm about to throw out is true but here's something to think about. I would not be surprised to see Norm Chow land up at Utah. He knows the area. He knows the talent base. He graduated from Utah (Offensive Lineman) and the Utes just lost there HC to Florida. He was down there a couple of weeks ago accepting admitance to the Utah Hall of Fame. I would not be surprised to see him land there.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I have not heard anything that would suggest what I'm about to throw out is true but here's something to think about. I would not be surprised to see Norm Chow land up at Utah. He knows the area. He knows the talent base. He graduated from Utah (Offensive Lineman) and the Utes just lost there HC to Florida. He was down there a couple of weeks ago accepting admitance to the Utah Hall of Fame. I would not be surprised to see him land there.

Plus he is still VERY bitter that BYU overlooked him years back... what better way to get back at them than recruting in their own back yard...

I'm sure he would love to relegate them to the status of "that other Mormon university"...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I kinda wonder why he's never gotten a look for an NFL OC job? If he doesn't have the hunger for a head coaching job, that would seem like the next logical step up.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Danny White said:
I kinda wonder why he's never gotten a look for an NFL OC job? If he doesn't have the hunger for a head coaching job, that would seem like the next logical step up.

I guess he is just one of those that gets overlooked for some reason... he certainly has skins on the wall...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
He expected to get the BYU job when Lavell Edwards retired. When he didn't I think that some programs wondered why not. I have also heard on sports radio shows that he does not interview well. He interviewed for the Arizona job but that was just a formality, they wanted Stoops the whole time and the alumni association was really pushing for that. Jim Livengood was on the local Brad Radke (sp?) radio show and he said that Chow's interview went well until he started asking him questions about defense. Chow is strictly an offensive minded guy. A Head Coach needs to know both sides of the ball and Special Teams as well.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile said:
He expected to get the BYU job when Lavell Edwards retired. When he didn't I think that some programs wondered why not. I have also heard on sports radio shows that he does not interview well. He interviewed for the Arizona job but that was just a formality, they wanted Stoops the whole time and the alumni association was really pushing for that. Jim Livengood was on the local Brad Radke (sp?) radio show and he said that Chow's interview went well until he started asking him questions about defense. Chow is strictly an offensive minded guy. A Head Coach needs to know both sides of the ball and Special Teams as well.

I think it's a joke about a coache's interviewing skills. Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis supposedly couldn't interview and look what a great job they have both done. To me, if a coach can coach, that's what counts. I could care less if he didn't wear a Saville Rowe suit and put on the used car dealer charm by smiling and showing a lot of neat graphs. A lot of people who interview well are not necessarily the best coach. It's not the same as an interview in real life becaue unlike real life, the work and performance of sports figures are constantly on display for the world to see. If IBM had watched me work for Microsoft for 3 hours every Saturday for 6 months and read articles in newspapers about how amazing I was, I doubt they wouldn't hire me if I was a little shy.

I'm not doubting anything you said, but I think it's sad. Some of the quiet and soft spoken guys are the best coaches like Bill Bellichek.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I think it's a joke about a coache's interviewing skills. Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis supposedly couldn't interview and look what a great job they have both done. To me, if a coach can coach, that's what counts. I could care less if he didn't wear a Saville Rowe suit and put on the used car dealer charm by smiling and showing a lot of neat graphs. A lot of people who interview well are not necessarily the best coach. It's not the same as an interview in real life becaue unlike real life, the work and performance of sports figures are constantly on display for the world to see. If IBM had watched me work for Microsoft for 3 hours every Saturday for 6 months and read articles in newspapers about how amazing I was, I doubt they wouldn't hire me if I was a little shy.

I'm not doubting anything you said, but I think it's sad. Some of the quiet and soft spoken guys are the best coaches like Bill Bellichek.
I don't disagree with you but when he struggles in interviews is when he has to talk about defense. That is a really big part of the game. He either has to have thoughts about how to manage a defense or he won't get a Head Coaching job. Unless of course he has a DC willing to be his Norm Chow on that side of the ball. No one doubts him offensively.

BTW, the radio jock's name is Brian instead of Brad. That's a pitcher in Minnesota. Actually I wonder if it is Brian or Ryan. When he tells his name he's a little hard to hear. Sometimes you hear the "B" and sometimes you don't.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I don't disagree with you but when he struggles in interviews is when he has to talk about defense. That is a really big part of the game. He either has to have thoughts about how to manage a defense or he won't get a Head Coaching job. Unless of course he has a DC willing to be his Norm Chow on that side of the ball. No one doubts him offensively.

BTW, the radio jock's name is Brian instead of Brad. That's a pitcher in Minnesota. Actually I wonder if it is Brian or Ryan. When he tells his name he's a little hard to hear. Sometimes you hear the "B" and sometimes you don't.

I understand what you are saying and maybe Norm Chow should brush up on his defense before going into an interview but let's be honest, some coaches are strictly ofense oriented like Andy Reid, Mike Shanahan and Steve Spurrier. All these guys got jobs and were sought after. As an owner, would you really care if these guys know nothing about defense because they pretty much don't. Even if they could b.s. a little about defense in an interview, would you believe them? I wouldn't because I would just need to look at their careers and see what side of the ball they have coached. I think Norm's problem is his image. He doesn't look very confident. He doesn't have that coaching stature. I think it's sad because I think he is one heck of a coach.

Sorry but I'm just frustrated because I hate to see the best man fo the job not be hired for silly reasons. If Norm was a thin, blonde white guy that was a little cocky and bold, he would have been offerred the Falcon's job last year.