Nose Tackle - Biggest Need

Nightshade

Reaction score
At the present time there is no greater need for the team than at the Defensive Tackle position. Those calling for Outside Linebackers like Carpenter and Lawson may not remember that the team drafted an excellent OLB prospect in Burnett last year, to eventually replace the solid starting presence currently provided by Singleton. And yet if the season where to start tomorrow the Cowboys would be going into that first game with no experienced or "projected" starter backing up Ferguson at NT.

Unless someone of exceeding ability like a Vince Young or Huff falls to the Cowboys at 18, Broderick Bunkley would be a fantastic pic at 18. There are alot of rumors that the Browns are interested in taking him at 12. However, if they do take Greenaway instead the Cowboys may have a chance at Bunkley at 18. Bunkley is a high motor Defensive Tackle with great intensity and quickness. Many NT advocates like myself indicate that Watson could also be available, but it's rare that a talent of his promise would be benched for lack of motivation. Though Bunkley is smaller, he'd be a better compliment to Ferguson, with their similar tenacious qualities. Roderick Wright would be the only other possible NT candidate to be lauded with superstar potential in this draft. But similar to Watson, his motor and drive has been questioned throughout his career.

NT's the biggest need. And Ferguson would be a great one to teach Bunkley everything he'd need to help make the Dallas 3-4 the new Doomsday we've been waiting for.
:lombardi:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I am concerned about our ability to clog the middle of the defense which will make the linebackers in the 3-4 scheme better.......if the middle is not clogged then all of our linebackers will look bad no matter their name.

We are one sprained ankle away (Ferguson) from struggling with this team if something is not done!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I actually like Bunkley at #18. However, I'm not in favor of trading up for him and Ngata if it involves giving away our second round pick.

Woods

Reaction score
I don't think Bunkley falls to 18.

I am NOT a buyer of Watson, even in the second. If he's lazy now, is he going to me motivated after becoming a millionaire? Who knows? I would not be willing to use a 2nd rounder to find out.

How about M. Stanley (Louisville?), Fujita, for example? There should be several run stuffers available in the 5, 6, and 7th rounds. Mind you, these guys aren't going to get you sacks or even necessarily QB pressures, but they can clog up the middle. If they can do that, our LBs should be able to get the job done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nightshade said:
At the present time there is no greater need for the team than at the Defensive Tackle position. Those calling for Outside Linebackers like Carpenter and Lawson may not remember that the team drafted an excellent OLB prospect in Burnett last year, to eventually replace the solid starting presence currently provided by Singleton. And yet if the season where to start tomorrow the Cowboys would be going into that first game with no experienced or "projected" starter backing up Ferguson at NT.

So, it's your opinion that the Cowboys' top priority should be to fill a "backup" position? Sorry, I disagree. I'm hoping for a starter.

And despite their best hopes, they can't count on Burnett to do anything at this point, much less be their starter opposite Ware. If he does, great, but you certainly can't depend on it.

Unless someone of exceeding ability like a Vince Young or Huff falls to the Cowboys at 18, Broderick Bunkley would be a fantastic pic at 18. There are alot of rumors that the Browns are interested in taking him at 12. However, if they do take Greenaway instead the Cowboys may have a chance at Bunkley at 18. Bunkley is a high motor Defensive Tackle with great intensity and quickness. Many NT advocates like myself indicate that Watson could also be available, but it's rare that a talent of his promise would be benched for lack of motivation. Though Bunkley is smaller, he'd be a better compliment to Ferguson, with their similar tenacious qualities. Roderick Wright would be the only other possible NT candidate to be lauded with superstar potential in this draft. But similar to Watson, his motor and drive has been questioned throughout his career.

Bunkley is a great prospect, but not at nose tackle.

NT's the biggest need. And Ferguson would be a great one to teach Bunkley everything he'd need to help make the Dallas 3-4 the new Doomsday we've been waiting for.

I think backup nose tackle is a need, but I don't see it being addressed on Day One, much less Round One....

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
So, it's your opinion that the Cowboys' top priority should be to fill a "backup" position? Sorry, I disagree. I'm hoping for a starter.

And despite their best hopes, they can't count on Burnett to do anything at this point, much less be their starter opposite Ware. If he does, great, but you certainly can't depend on it.

I think backup nose tackle is a need, but I don't see it being addressed on Day One, much less Round One....

Didn't we have a free agent nose tackle that was looking pretty good before he got hurt ???

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

If Bunkley fell to 18 I'd be all for it. I'd make him the starter right now and start phasing Fergy out. I don't see it happening though.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Even if you're right Bunkley's not getting past the Ravens at 13. He could go as high as 8 to Buffalo. Slightly better chance of Ngata falling and he's a better prospect for NT anyway at 335 IMO. But Cleveland would probably like Ngata or Miami. Gabe Watson has the physical ability but he doesn't play hard all the time- I'd take him in the 2nd but he'll likely be gone in the late 20's. It's a bad year to need a NT really. Oshinowo from Stanford would be ok but he's a 3rd round talent that will probably go before he should, maybe late 2nd.

I don't think you can assume Burnett is going to help much this year coming off an acl and 3 surgeries in a year. Ferguson is a better starter than Singleton, so OLB is a bigger need right now. We have no legitamate FS, that's a bigger need. I'm not sold yet on Kosier, and it's hard to know whether peterman can play or not, so OL is a priority IMO. We'll take a NT, but I can't see the value early.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just can not justify drafting a NT in the first round, unless we got a serious trade down with extra picks.

I do not see why we would draft a backup NT right now after putting so much money into Ferguson.

This is a position we can get later in the round for backup purposes to go along with Pepper.

One may want to look at what round Ferguson was drafted.

This year we do not need a NT in the first round.

The only thing I would consider is if we traded down and got extra picks as I mentioned before or if a stud fell down the board like ngata who was just too good to pass up on.

Other wise No NT in the first round for us. I don't want to see us going after Bunkley in the first and I really don't want to see us going for Watson in the first and those two plus ngata seem to be the only ones even rated in that draft area.

So no thanks...I pass.

EndGame

Reaction score
We don't need a starting quality nosetackle right now. If a special nosetackle falls to us, I'm all for drafting him. We did that with Roy Williams a few years back, even though we already had Darren Woodson. However, short of that "special" player, I would be irritated if we went nosetackle in the first round. We've GOT a decent nosetackle. You can't say that about all of the linebacker positions or, more urgently, free safety. I'd even rather see a top-flight receiver or QB in the first round, as you're more likely to get value at NT in the later rounds.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I just can not justify drafting a NT in the first round, unless we got a serious trade down with extra picks.

I do not see why we would draft a backup NT right now after putting so much money into Ferguson.

This is a position we can get later in the round for backup purposes to go along with Pepper.

One may want to look at what round Ferguson was drafted.

This year we do not need a NT in the first round.

The only thing I would consider is if we traded down and got extra picks as I mentioned before or if a stud fell down the board like ngata who was just too good to pass up on.

Other wise No NT in the first round for us. I don't want to see us going after Bunkley in the first and I really don't want to see us going for Watson in the first and those two plus ngata seem to be the only ones even rated in that draft area.

So no thanks...I pass.

:hammer: your in my corner for a change ;)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but bunkley is not really the nose tackle we are looking for. He would fit in our nickel packages but not really the base 34 d. He is a gap attacking upfield tackle like glover, that doesnt fit, we dont want our tackle shooting the gap and attacking.

We run a 34 two gap read and react defense. I think taking a tackle in the first round is probably a bad idea right now, I think and I keep harping on this that Orien Harris might be had in the 2nd or possibly in the third. He is a two gap tackle, hes big, he is compared to brenson buckner and is a run stuffer, his brother plays for the 49ers. Sounds like a parcells guy to me, the whole family is all about football, he is big and he fits the mold of the tackle he wants perfectly.

There are a few more, like the kid from stanford oshinowo who is a two gap run stuffing tackle who might be had in the 4th or later, since we dont have a 4th right now.

I think bunkley will jump on draft day, defensive tackles who can rush the passer are almost impossible to find and I bet he goes early, but again I think he is a bad fit for our defense.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I do believe that NT is a big need but it is far from our most dire need. I have no confidence in the oft-injured and seemingly unmotivated, Cowboys hating Burnett. And Singleton is an ageing journeyman. These two factors make SOLB is a big need for us. Also, it was demonstrated last year that we are in desperate need of help at FS and OT. These positions get mentioned all the time because they are glaring needs. Though we are in better shape at OT than we were a year ago we still need depth.

AT NT we do have Ferguson and though he may not be all that Parcells cracked him up to be he is serviceable and we have Johnson behind him. Johnson was looking very good as a backup last year before he got injured. Also Ratliff is big enough to move in there if needs be. I would love Bunkley (or Ngata if he somehow fell) but they are way down the list of needs.

conner01

Reaction score
if your top need in the draft is a backup you should have been in the super bolw last year
bunkley is not a run stuffer nt
lots of better options at nt later like stanley,fiffita,oshinowa(sp)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
stasheroo said:

I don't know if you put much stock in his opinion, but during the Combine coverage, Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said that teams believe he could hold the point at nose guard. I have my doubts as well, but I haven't seen him play all that much. In the Florida State games I watched, I never paid attention to him, nor did he stand out all that much.