Not sure McCarthy deserves being on another "Dumb Decisions" episode

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I love this guy's channel, and I often agree with him, but I'm not sure I do this time. His big complaint is that McCarthy didn't run it three times when we were up 20 to 13. With three runs, you make sure to pig up as much of the remaining time as possible. So I see his point. However, the Lions had been stuffing the run most of the game. With a first down, we close out the game, but that only could happen through the air. We weren't going to run for a first down, especially with the Lions expecting the run. So I can see why McCarthy called pass plays. If we get that first, the game is basically over. What do you guys think? Is this JaguarGator9 (the video author) right or do you side with McCarthy on this one?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I love this guy's channel, and I often agree with him, but I'm not sure I do this time. His big complaint is that McCarthy didn't run it three times when we were up 20 to 13. With three runs, you make sure to pig up as much of the remaining time as possible. So I see his point. However, the Lions had been stuffing the run most of the game. With a first down, we close out the game, but that only could happen through the air. We weren't going to run for a first down, especially with the Lions expecting the run. So I can see why McCarthy called pass plays. If we get that first, the game is basically over. What do you guys think? Is this JaguarGator9 (the video author) right or do you side with McCarthy on this one?

here's the thing I'm gonna say Mike McCarthy does not drive me crazy with his play calling because most of the time I understand why he's doing it, and in this time that bogus tripping call put us behind the chains and he had to throw the football a little bit to make sure we get in field goal range..

and yes maybe on that last play to throw out of bounds he should have run the ball but really he was in that mode you're talking about.

they knew we were gonna try to run so we were going to end up losing yards or barely get in the yard and yes we could have took time off the clock but if it had not been for the bogus tripping call on hendershot I believe that 7 yard run it was second and three, we would have continued to run we'd have ran the clock damn near all the way down kick the field goal won the game!

and no controversy, so right now I'm going to side with Mike McCarthy..

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
here's the thing I'm gonna say Mike McCarthy does not drive me crazy with his play calling cause most of the time I understand why he's doing it and in this time that bogus tripping call put us behind the chains and he had to throw the football a little bit to make sure we get in field goal range and yes maybe on that last play to throw out of bounds he should have run the ball but really he was in that mode you're talking about they knew we were gonna try to run so we were gonna end up losing yards or barely get in the yard and yes we could have took time off the clock but if it had not been for the bogus tripping call on hendershot I believe that 7 yard run it was second and three we would have continued to run we'd have ran the clock damn near all the way down kick the field goal won the game and no controversy so right now I'm gonna side with Mike McCarthy..
This is exactly the right take on this. IMHO.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is exactly the right take on this. IMHO.
That's the thing this isn't the only game he's being accused of having bad clock management but when you look at sometimes the way the defense is playing or the way the offense isn't moving the ball sometimes he's calling plays to be aggressive one way or the other in order to cover up the problem in that particular game and yes it goes against the grain or the book or whatever you wanna call it but he has a method to his madness so I really don't hate his clock management yes sometimes it's unorthodox but I actually understand why he's doing it and he has to do it in real time live while he's in the heat of the moment and sometimes you just gotta make that decision and in his mind just like the Detroit Lions head coach made that decision that he was gonna go for two no matter what and did it four times in a row instead of tying the game that's unorthodox a smart man with seating on the line would have kicked the extra point at least the third time that he had the opportunity... So is that bad clock management is that bad play calling or is that just simply a coach doing what he game plan that game to do and felt like his team needed that to win the game because maybe he was uncomfortable going into overtime with the Dallas Cowboys offense seemingly Catching Fire there at the end...