Not the kind of depth for a championship caliber team

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
If Brad Johnson is your backup QB.....how real were the Cowboys championship aspirations. If Corey Procter is your best backup interior OL...how real were the Cowboys championship aspirations. I am just asking the questions because as minor as they seemed BEFORE the season....these have been 2 MAJOR misses by the organization. And this was a mistake from the top down. Luckily we DID something about Crayton as our #2 WR.

But the money we are paying Hudson Houck looks like money circling the drain right now when you consider the state of the OL at times...not to mention the state of the backups.

And our Safety depth has been horrendous as well. I know Roy had never missed a game prior to this year...but with the way Watkins tries to tackle...and the way Brown tries to avoid tackling...how did we ever think these 2 guys could play if we had injuries?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbailey423;2441035 said:
If Brad Johnson is your backup QB.....how real were the Cowboys championship aspirations. If Corey Procter is your best backup interior OL...how real were the Cowboys championship aspirations. I am just asking the questions because as minor as they seemed BEFORE the season....these have been 2 MAJOR misses by the organization. And this was a mistake from the top down. Luckily we DID something about Crayton as our #2 WR.

But the money we are paying Hudson Houck looks like money circling the drain right now when you consider the state of the OL at times...not to mention the state of the backups.

And our Safety depth has been horrendous as well. I know Roy had never missed a game prior to this year...but with the way Watkins tries to tackle...and the way Brown tries to avoid tackling...how did we ever think these 2 guys could play if we had injuries?

So should they just give up on the season? :rolleyes:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
bbailey423;2441035 said:

Do you happen to know who Eli Manning's backup was last year? If so, do you really think that the moose in cleats was any better a QB than Johnson is?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Sigh.... previous backup QBS on Super Bowl champion teams since 1990

Jeff Rutledge-91 Skins
Wade Wilson-95 Boys
Jim McMahon-96 Packers
Bubby Brister -97-98 Broncos
Jamie Martin- 99 Rams
Tony Banks -2000 Ravens
Shaun King-02 Bucs
Damon Huard-03 Pats
Rohan Davey-04Pats
Jim Sorgi 06Colts
Jared Lorenzen 07 Giants.

Merely having a below average backup does not mean you have no realistic super bowl aspirations.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2441063 said:
You can't be stacked at every position.
agreed..but and NFL QB should at LEAST be able to throw the ball 20 yards pass the LOS

lspain1

Reaction score
Every NFL team deals with injuries. This season I'm not sure how the Cowboys stack up against the rest of the league, but my guess is that we are way above the average for both number of injuries and the severity of the losses. While our backup QB situation is the most highly visible, our lack of depth along the OL and in our secondary have hurt us as well. I'm not prepared to give up, but our injury situation contributes to the likelihood that we will need help to get to the playoffs. We'll see.