Not to kill the draft buzz, but what about June 1st cuts?

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Think there will be any good ones this year the Boys might look to pick up? Anyone have a list of possible cuts? Just curious.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i asked about this but the main responds that i go were "its not that important of a date any more"

morris1110

Reaction score
time was teams knew or had an idea of who would be available June 1. but the way caps are managed today, most names are only mentioned 2 days before the cut date and most names are either surprises or players past their prime..
actually, after the draft, the best date for available players who can actually help your team is when teams get down to 53 players since every team has one player who shows up on the list that was coveted by another team at one time

silver

Reaction score
most of the roster bonuses come up in march. so people get axed then. the june cuts were used to prorate the signing bonus to next year when teams like us were in cap hell. for the most part that's not the case across the league.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
i asked about this but the main responds that i go were "its not that important of a date any more"

That's the absolute truth, and there's a reason for it-- agents figured out that teams were keeping players until after June 1st, so as to spread out the cap hit over 2 seasons when the player was released, and that left those players with fewer options for new teams... as a result, agents have started insisting on clauses that call for rather large bonuses to be paid early in the offseason, thereby forcing the teams to make their decisions on whether or not to keep a player around in March, rather than June...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Even if June 1st isn't what it once was, there are still good players available in free agency:

Kendyl Jacox is a big center/guard who has started 85 games in his career...

Keith Newman, Tommy Polley and Chris Claiborne are all linebackers with the kind of size Parcells likes, all of whom have started over 60 games in the league... they're all also in the 4.55-4.65 second 40 range...

Lance Schulters and Antuan Edwards are talented, experienced safeties... Ifeanyi Ohalete would be a nice addition at safety if all you're looking for is quality depth, he can play both free and strong safety...

Terdell Sands is a massive nose tackle, but strictly a backup... that's OK, the Cowboys have Jason Ferguson, what they need is a backup...

Jacox, Newman, Polley, Claiborne, Schulters and Edwards would be fairly pricey, but the Boys have cap room to sign one or two of them... Ohalete and Sands would be much more reasonably priced...

All of these players would shore up parts of the roster that could still stand a little shoring up...

There are other, lesser players out there too-- Rocky Calmus, Nick Rogers and Barry Gardner at linebacker... Kevin Johnson, Troy Edwards and Dez White at wide receiver... Nick Luchey, Jonathan Wells and Paul Smith at fullback...

If the Boys are still in the mood to spend a little money after the draft, there are options out there that could improve the team... but let's remember, they're gonna want to earmark some of their remaining cap room to try to sign Witten, Newman and Roy to contract extensions... perhaps not all 3, but at least 2 of them, I think...

Though the Boys are reportedly some 12 million under the cap, you've gotta factor in the money to sign their draft picks, fund a practice squad... add in the money they might need to re-sign some of their own young veterans, and there's probably not much more than 2 to 3 million left for pursuing free agents... then again, there are contract renegotiations they could work to free up more cap room, if they really, really wanted to pursue some more veteran free agents...

silver

Reaction score
Joey Harrington is the only name I can think of.

silver

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Kevin Johnson, Troy Edwards and Dez White at wide receiver
Johnson and White could add depth. Both are experienced and have good hands and speed. Don't like Edwards, too small, and lacks deep speed.

ravidubey

Reaction score
I thought the new CBA allows players to be designated as June 1st cuts any time after the league year begins and allowed to negotiate and sign with other teams.

Apparently no teams have made use of hte new rule.

AtlCB

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Terdell Sands is a massive nose tackle, but strictly a backup... that's OK, the Cowboys have Jason Ferguson, what they need is a backup...

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

That name just kills me every time I read it!

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Even if June 1st isn't what it once was, there are still good players available in free agency:

Kendyl Jacox is a big center/guard who has started 85 games in his career...

Keith Newman, Tommy Polley and Chris Claiborne are all linebackers with the kind of size Parcells likes, all of whom have started over 60 games in the league... they're all also in the 4.55-4.65 second 40 range...

Lance Schulters and Antuan Edwards are talented, experienced safeties... Ifeanyi Ohalete would be a nice addition at safety if all you're looking for is quality depth, he can play both free and strong safety...

Jacox, Newman, Polley, Claiborne, Schulters and Edwards would be fairly pricey, but the Boys have cap room to sign one or two of them... Ohalete and Sands would be much more reasonably priced...

All of these players would shore up parts of the roster that could still stand a little shoring up...

There are other, lesser players out there too-- Rocky Calmus, Nick Rogers and Barry Gardner at linebacker... Kevin Johnson, Troy Edwards and Dez White at wide receiver... Nick Luchey, Jonathan Wells and Paul Smith at fullback...

If the Boys are still in the mood to spend a little money after the draft, there are options out there that could improve the team... but let's remember, they're gonna want to earmark some of their remaining cap room to try to sign Witten, Newman and Roy to contract extensions... perhaps not all 3, but at least 2 of them, I think...

Though the Boys are reportedly some 12 million under the cap, you've gotta factor in the money to sign their draft picks, fund a practice squad... add in the money they might need to re-sign some of their own young veterans, and there's probably not much more than 2 to 3 million left for pursuing free agents... then again, there are contract renegotiations they could work to free up more cap room, if they really, really wanted to pursue some more veteran free agents...
Great post Silverbear

morris1110

Reaction score
Are all these FA guys listed here still available and without contracts for next year? If so, could be they will not get picked up until a team suffers a disaster, injury wise, and there is no other experienced talent to pick from.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
kowboys 05 said:
Actually there have been over 100 players cut in each of the past several years on June 1. You don't get starters there but you can get some great depth.