News: Now, never or no problem? 20 Cowboys will be free agents in 2017

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now, never or no problem? 20 Cowboys will be free agents in 2017

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...oblem-20-cowboys-will-be-free-agents-in-2017/

As the Cowboys’ coaching staff and players prepare for another season of on-field action, the front office is likely prepping for another season for the oft-overlooked business side of the NFL.

With a new front office mindset, the Cowboys have become much more deliberate in their allocation of player funds. This has resulted in some bittersweet goodbyes; DeMarcus Ware & DeMarco Murray to name a few, but this isn’t something for fans to be upset about. In fact, just the opposite.

Now the Cowboys have focused on retaining their own players than splashy free agents. Those moves would probably be made as we have exploded the myth of cap hell and know Dallas believed the performance would not match the cost in those situations. Those are moves that successful franchises make...

waldoputty

Reaction score
No big deal, but may be we keep Butler if he plays ok and not cost too much.
May be we keep 1 CB and perhaps David Irving if he plays well and not too pricey.
I can see us drafting QB with 1st, DE with 2nd, and the rest for G, WR and CB.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-06%20at%203.32.47%20PM_zpsaz2mlihw.png

There are a number of players there they will or will likely want to retain.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-06%20at%203.32.47%20PM_zpsaz2mlihw.png

There are a number of players there they will or will likely want to retain.

Would of been nice if we addressed the CB position in the 2nd.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Would of been nice if we addressed the CB position in the 2nd.

I think we should have gone defense often esp day 1 and 2 but IF EE helps push the offense to 30-35PPG then we did the right thing IMO. If not and it is a trend that stays with a very good Romo/offense then we did the wrong thing.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
maybe 4 get multi year deals

this is what you get when you build thru the draft......a lot of turnover

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I think we should have gone defense often esp day 1 and 2 but IF EE helps push the offense to 30-35PPG then we did the right thing IMO. If not and it is a trend that stays with a very good Romo/offense then we did the wrong thing.

I see poor planning 6 out of the 20 are in the defensive Backfield. And I wouldn't keep none. Yet we don't address til the 6th round.

conner01

Reaction score
Most need to show enough to get any offers. 4 or 5 will be back, but most will be gone

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I see poor planning 6 out of the 20 are in the defensive Backfield. And I wouldn't keep none. Yet we don't address til the 6th round.

You don't know what we have back there. OScan is off an injury but I expect him to play outside and/or slip into the slot. I think Claiborne is improved esp if healthy and I think we will see him some on the X or Z as a starter and the nickel/dime. The rest are too unknown but there is a reasonable chance Thomas could be returned. I can't speak of Carr yet either. Depends on the year he has and the money he'll take.

All the DBs will look better if we improve our pass rush, get some TOs, and play ahead.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Not one probowler, all pro, HOFer, on that entire list. They can all go, no biggie. If 1-2 stay, no biggie. I'd trade every single player on that list ( all twenty ) for two first round picks in the same year. No takers though cause it's junk.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
The only ones on that list that I like are:
- Irving
-T.Williams (yeah, yeah..I said it, but for nothing more than like $4m a year).
-Olatoye on the cheap (he and mitchell are young and showed a little something last year)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not one probowler, all pro, HOFer, on that entire list. They can all go, no biggie. If 1-2 stay, no biggie. I'd trade every single player on that list ( all twenty ) for two first round picks in the same year. No takers though cause it's junk.

When you wonder why we went 4-12 last year..

just look at that list.

Hardly anyone on that list has any real impact on the team when we needed players to step up.

They can all go as far as I'm concerned.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They all can't go, nor will they go. You really think they will replace 20 players next year from FA and the draft. We do only have 7 draft picks next year. We will get no comp picks.
We do not have a 5th, but we do have Buffalo's 6th, those were swapped from the Cassel trade.

Very good chance TWill or Butler will be retained, but also draft a WR, same for Carr or Claiborne, one may be retained, depending if any CB's show some promise or not. But still draft a CB or 3.
If Rod Smith shows something at FB, he will be extended during the season.
Some others will or may be signed but it doesn't mean they will make the team, just like any other year as well as for all teams do this.

On the other hand though, the more that sign with other teams, we get comp picks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys may be in a bit of a bind on this one. Outside of Dez Bryant, they currently don't have a tall, proven, outside receiver who can stretch the field vertically and who is under contract beyond the 2016 season. Which may be why they've beefed up their receiving corps with tall receivers who can play outside and perhaps replace the 6-2, 208-pound Williams:

Chris Brown: 6-2, 193
Andy Jones, 6-2, 214
Vince Mayle, 6-2, 224
Devin Street: 6-3, 200
Rodney Smith: 6-5, 220

Even Brice Butler (6-3, 215) would fit the bill, even if he, like Williams, is playing on the final year of his contract. Those are the guys the Cowboys will be looking at in camp and during the season as possible replacements for Williams. Because another solid year by Williams will likely push him out of the Cowboys price range, and even if they wanted to, they likely won't be able to keep him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...o-keep-terrance-williams-even-if-they-want-to

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The only one I care to bring back is Irving and he is a ERFA. Claiborne, Crawford and Dunbar are the next three maybes but two of those three need to show they can stay healthy and need to show they are capable of making plays!

conner01

Reaction score
They all can't go, nor will they go. You really think they will replace 20 players next year from FA and the draft. We do only have 7 draft picks next year. We will get no comp picks.
We do not have a 5th, but we do have Buffalo's 6th, those were swapped from the Cassel trade.

Very good chance TWill or Butler will be retained, but also draft a WR, same for Carr or Claiborne, one may be retained, depending if any CB's show some promise or not. But still draft a CB or 3.
If Rod Smith shows something at FB, he will be extended during the season.
Some others will or may be signed but it doesn't mean they will make the team, just like any other year as well as for all teams do this.

On the other hand though, the more that sign with other teams, we get comp picks.

I always love when fans say just let them all go without ever considering replacing them. A few will stay, many will go but no decision has to be made on any of them till after the seaso.