NRA expects as many as 60,000 at convention in Houston

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NRA to display '5 acres of guns and gear'

The convention is expected to draw 60,000 to various events, political and otherwise

By RACHEL GRAVES
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

lapierre.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-3]Mayra Beltran / Chronicle [/size][/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association answers questions from the Houston Chronicle Editorial Board. He says he looks forward to holding the convention in NRA-friendly Texas. [/size][/font]

The National Rifle Association is expecting as many as 60,000 people at its annual convention in Houston next week, the group's executive vice president said Wednesday.

Wayne LaPierre, speaking to the Houston Chronicle Editorial Board, said 50 percent more people are expected than the NRA earlier estimated for the three-day event, which begins April 15 at the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Attractions will include an exhibition hall with "five acres of guns and gear;" a performance of the national anthem by Ted Nugent; seminars on a variety of hunting, personal protection and political issues; and a keynote address by House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land.

"He's been a great supporter of the Second Amendment," LaPierre said of DeLay. "We're proud to have him as a speaker."

LaPierre declined to comment on the criticism surrounding DeLay regarding ethics issues and the controversy over his recent statements suggesting federal judges will have to answer for what he calls politically motivated decisions.In a wide-ranging interview, LaPierre discussed lawsuits against gun manufacturers, Texas' friendliness to the NRA and guns in schools.

LaPierre called the recent school shooting in Red Lake, Minn., in which the gunman and nine others were killed "a horrible, tragic event" but said he foresees no effect on the upcoming convention.

In an interview last week about the school shootings, NRA First Vice President Sandra S. Froman told the Associated Press, "I'm not saying that that means every teacher should have a gun or not, but what I am saying is we need to look at all the options at what will truly protect the students."

The NRA is not backing national legislation to arm teachers, LaPierre clarified Wednesday, adding the group supports the federal Gun Free School Zones Act. The federal law keeps guns out of schools with exceptions for security, firing ranges, groups such as the 4-H and other lawful reasons.

If "some school somewhere" wanted to arm a teacher, LaPierre added, the NRA would not object.

LaPierre said he hopes Congress will act in the next two months on gun-liability legislation that would shield weapons businesses from lawsuits for damages resulting from purported misuse of their product. The bill would bar local governments and private individuals from suing gun makers.

"It's a small industry that's made a great commitment to freedom," LaPierre said. "If you lose the manufacturers, you lose the Second Amendment."

Critics say the bill, which was killed in Congress last year, would make gun manufacturers immune from virtually all lawsuits, protecting them more than any other industry.

LaPierre said he looks forward to holding the convention in Texas, where many people own guns and hunt and where the Legislature often sides with the NRA. Texas' "right-to-carry" law was amended in 2003 to prevent local governments from banning concealed weapons in their buildings.

"We have a tremendous membership in this state," LaPierre said. "It's been historically very positive to our issues and what we stand for."

rachel.graves@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3122393

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
There will be 4x4's, huge belt buckles and Earnhardt licenses plate galore :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

And gun safety info. for everyone... men, women, children

And I'm pretty sure they will be doing as they always do... supporting the police by providing police dogs and bulletproof vests

Who knows... maybe they'll even make another large donation to the police

Imagine that, a bunch of dumb rednecks that live in trailers being responsible citizens...

BTW... I'll be there

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:

Those big belt buckles that you could use as a serving tray? :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DANTHEMAN said:
Or to hide a deranger

I thought only women used those. ;)

Sorry...I just despise those big belt buckles. :(

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboysPrincess said:
And gun safety info. for everyone... men, women, children

And I'm pretty sure they will be doing as they always do... supporting the police by providing police dogs and bulletproof vests

Who knows... maybe they'll even make another large donation to the police

Imagine that, a bunch of dumb rednecks that live in trailers being responsible citizens...

BTW... I'll be there

Hey CP, hope you have a good time down here. I may even pass you up. I park right across the street from George R. Brown and the parking lot always fills up with conventioners. I remember when they had a quilt convention recently, I was amazed at the amount of traffic flowing through. And they weren't lil 'ol ladies, either.