Nypost: Espn May Use Kornheiser As 3d Man On Mnf

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
January 30, 2006 -- With Al Michael's future on Monday Night Football in doubt, ESPN is strongly considering putting talk show host/columnist Tony Kornheiser on its telecast next year, The Post has learned.

While ESPN is expected to decide after the Super Bowl if it will force Michaels to honor the eight-year $32 million contract he signed this summer, sources say the network has devised a Plan B around Kornheiser.

If the network allows Michaels out of his contract then the new team is expected to be led by Mike Tirico. Tirico will be joined by Joe Theismann and Kornheiser, if Kornheiser agrees to ESPN's offer that is believed to be for around $1 million.

The addition of Kornheiser, who writes for the Washington Post, would be a radical move in the same vein as when Dennis Miller was named to the Monday Night booth.

ESPN executives, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, recently met with Kornheiser about accepting the role. If Kornheiser takes the offer then he is expected to continue to co-host Pardon the Interruption.

In fact, the show would be aired live from the Monday Night site each week.
Efforts to reach ESPN executives and Kornheiser were unsuccessful.

Link

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I'll turn on the radio before I listen to that circus

Hailmary

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
If the network allows Michaels out of his contract then the new team is expected to be led by Mike Tirico. Tirico will be joined by Joe Theismann and Kornheiser, if Kornheiser agrees to ESPN's offer that is believed to be for around $1 million.

Worst crew EVER.

The addition of Kornheiser, who writes for the Washington Post, would be a radical move in the same vein as when Dennis Miller was named to the Monday Night booth.

I don't think it's quite as radical, but still, have they not learned anything from the earlier debacle w/ Miller?

tnfan

Reaction score
I must have missed something. Why does he want out of his contract?

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I love listening to Mr. Tony here in D.C., and not for just the sports stuff.

I think he's funny.

Tony said recently that if he did MNF, his dream crew would be Troy Aikman, John Riggens and himself.

Now THAT would be a circus!

A Drunk, a Concussion and a loud-Mouth!

joseephuss

Reaction score
tnfan said:
I must have missed something. Why does he want out of his contract?

He wants to go to NBC to work with John Madden on Sunday night games.

sacase

Reaction score
Ok why the hell would you put the WORST broadcaster on MNF. ESPN is going to kill it if Theisman is on MNF. Just say NO.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
only if they bring Wilbon too....I love those two guys together.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Wheat said:
I love listening to Mr. Tony here in D.C., and not for just the sports stuff.

I think he's funny.

Tony said recently that if he did MNF, his dream crew would be Troy Aikman, John Riggens and himself.

Now THAT would be a circus!

A Drunk, a Concussion and a loud-Mouth!

Perhaps Sandra Day O'Conner could slip in for a guest appearance from time to time... ;)

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
for the "Loosen Up" moment of the Game...... Sponsers by Budlight.

Getting folks to Loosen Up during MNF for decades.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Riggins wouldn't be bad. Probably better than that. However Kornheiser would be a disaster.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I like Kornheiser. I think he would do much better than Dennis Miller did.

It doesn't matter much, though, because Theisman makes the whole broadcast unlistenable.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
This is just a way for ESPN to make the current SNF crew look better. One game of muting that announcing abomination and people will be clamoring for the reigning "Worst.....Crew.....Ever".

superpunk

Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:
Riggins wouldn't be bad. Probably better than that. However Kornheiser would be a disaster.

Riggins is probably the most entertaining sports talk guy I have EVER heard. Noone can touch him. It is a travesty that he is not doing color for one of the networks.....they're probably scared to death of some of the things that might come out of his mouth.

I like to listen to Sportstalk 980 out of DC, I live in the area, and I have yet to find a Dallas sports radio station whose talking heads don't blow goats. If any of you get the chance, listen to the Sports Reporters on Thursday's from 5-7 (ET). Riggins is always the guest, and he kills. Only during football season, though.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Riggins is probably the most entertaining sports talk guy I have EVER heard. Noone can touch him. It is a travesty that he is not doing color for one of the networks.....they're probably scared to death of some of the things that might come out of his mouth.

I like to listen to Sportstalk 980 out of DC, I live in the area, and I have yet to find a Dallas sports radio station whose talking heads don't blow goats. If any of you get the chance, listen to the Sports Reporters on Thursday's from 5-7 (ET). Riggins is always the guest, and he kills. Only during football season, though.
He is funny on the John Riggins show during the season.

I remember somebody calling in and asking his memories of the Meadowlands. He said "Phil Simms crying for a flag after every incomplete pass he threw"

I just cracked up.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Don't hold back, ESPN.

Might as well go all out.

How about this trio in the booth?

Bobcat Goldthwait
Gilbert Gottfried
and
Richard Simmons

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I'm sorry to sound harsh but Tirico is terrible as a play by play man. We all know how bad Theismann is, but Tirico is boring, dry and adds nothing to a broadcast, imo.

Tirico and Sharpe were a terrible combination, but a Tirico/Theismann pairing would be worse.

ex-lion tamer

Reaction score
Someone needs to organize some type of grassroots petition to get Theisman out of that booth. Seriously, dont they do any research on these types of things? I have never heard one person say anything good about Theisman's performance as a broadcaster. Even skins fans cant stand him.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I have a conspiracy theory about MNF. I think that ABC/ESPN have decided the football contracts are too expensive, so they're going to do something about it. They're going to drive down viewership by putting the absolute worst announcers they can think of in the booth. By the time the contract comes up for renewal in a few years, MNF will have so few viewers that the NFL will have to lower their fee. That's the only possible explanation for the lousy announcers being put on MNF. I just don't understand why Al Michaels hasn't run for the hills. Surely someone else would hire him.

All MNF needs is to bring in Joe Buck. That way, he & Theisman could resume their full-time duties as deadskins cheerleaders.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:

Riggins is fair and always gives a straight opinion. He's criticized the Commanders for a number of things.