Video: O-line hitch nod to Landry

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter. The hitch thing was cool. We were all happy to see it, because we all respect the nod to the rich Cowboy tradition. I heard--I think it was Rob Phillips--say today that he emailed Jason Garrett personally in 2010 to suggest they do this same hitch when Jason first took over the team. I've had this same conversation with other fans over beers about how cool it would be to see it again, even if it's just a gesture. You know what? This sort of thing can be derived from more than one source concurrently. So, basically, I don't care one way or another how sure Hos or anybody else is about where it came from. I just like that it happened.

Let's not let a really good and fun thread devolve into finger pointing over poster's personalities, please. Thanks.

Taurus

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. The hitch thing was cool. We were all happy to see it, because we all respect the nod to the rich Cowboy tradition. I heard--I think it was Rob Phillips--say today that he emailed Jason Garrett personally in 2010 to suggest they do this same hitch when Jason first took over the team. I've had this same conversation with other fans over beers about how cool it would be to see it again, even if it's just a gesture. You know what? This sort of thing can be derived from more than one source concurrently. So, basically, I don't care one way or another how sure Hos or anybody else is about where it came from. I just like that it happened.

Let's not let a really good and fun thread devolve into finger pointing over poster's personalities, please. Thanks.
I agree it is a wonderful thing we definitely want to see more of. I hope they make it a integral part of the offense like it used to be.

By the way it's really not "poster's personalities" driving the pointing out of someone's tendency to make blanket, unfounded assertions and pretend it's insider authoritative. Then when proven incorrect they dissemble, move the goalposts, etc instead of just saying "yeah, I blew it."

But I hear ya.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

Oh, and make no mistake about it, I have no doubt whatsoever that Jason Garrett could have heard it from somewhere. Hell, I suggested he could have learned it from his dad, who worked for Landry. My stubborn insistence it came from him to the team is merely because we all know that he has pushed for a return to the Cowboys ways and even began showing films of old Cowboys great teams. Not shocked Callahan showed it to the OL, he's their coach. The players did it in the game on their own. That is the best thing about this.

Kudos to Rob Phillips for suggesting it to him if he did. Thank you! Sincerely, thank you. You have no idea how much seeing the hitch again meant to me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, and make no mistake about it, I have no doubt whatsoever that Jason Garrett could have heard it from somewhere. Hell, I suggested he could have learned it from his dad, who worked for Landry. My stubborn insistence it came from him to the team is merely because we all know that he has pushed for a return to the Cowboys ways and even began showing films of old Cowboys great teams. Not shocked Callahan showed it to the OL, he's their coach. The players did it in the game on their own. That is the best thing about this.

Kudos to Rob Phillips for suggesting it to him if he did. Thank you! Sincerely, thank you. You have no idea how much seeing the hitch again meant to me.

Rob wasn't actually suggesting it was his idea. He was more saying he sent an email which was completely ignored. I was just illustrating the idea that more than one person probably has thought back fondly on those Landry lines and hoped to see the Hitch again.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree it is a wonderful thing we definitely want to see more of. I hope they make it a integral part of the offense like it used to be.

By the way it's really not "poster's personalities" driving the pointing out of someone's tendency to make blanket, unfounded assertions and pretend it's insider authoritative. Then when proven incorrect they dissemble, move the goalposts, etc instead of just saying "yeah, I blew it."

But I hear ya.

I get it. I understand what goes on with the back and forth between posters in a thread. And Hos certainly puts it out there. You're so new the the site, though. You haven't even been around long enough to be so emotionally invested with a relative stranger.

Sometimes you have to just kick back and appreciate things like the Hitch last week for what they are. We're all Cowboys fans, after all. And weeks like last weeks game are going to be few and far between in the long NFL season. You don't want to ruin the good stuff when the petty stuff will still be there for us to kick around during the bad weeks or the long offseason.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I get it. I understand what goes on with the back and forth between posters in a thread. And Hos certainly puts it out there. You're so new the the site, though. You haven't even been around long enough to be so emotionally invested with a relative stranger.

Sometimes you have to just kick back and appreciate things like the Hitch last week for what they are. We're all Cowboys fans, after all. And weeks like last weeks game are going to be few and far between in the long NFL season. You don't want to ruin the good stuff when the petty stuff will still be there for us to kick around during the bad weeks or the long offseason.
When I am dead sure of something I sure do, and I am not about to duck my head for it. If I am wrong, I'll admit it. Anyone who has been here a long time knows that. If I'm not, I am not going to genuflect to anyone. That's just the way it is.

Ain't skeert.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Who cares who was responsible for it? It was very cool to see, and it's great to see the history of this franchise being recognized. Let's hope to see more of it, because it means that the team is winning games.

That was probably the last thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.

I wonder who did this?

I just took it as a sense of pride that the OL after a dominating performance was acknowledging team history.

But I guess some people felt the need to take it a step further.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was probably the last thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.

I wonder who did this?

I just took it as a sense of pride that the OL after a dominating performance was acknowledging team history.

But I guess some people felt the need to take it a step further.

In fairness to the 'some people,' I think it was erod who brought Garrett into this with his post:

Another reason I like Garrett. He knows, embraces, and pays homage to the entire history of this franchise, not just his history with the team.
It was a pretty inclusive and innocuous comment, really. Of course, things when downhill from there.

But I agree with you in this rare case. It was a really cool nod to the team's history overall. Stand-up guys like you and me just need to help everybody stay focused on what's important in these situations.