O.T. - It's Sounding Worse Every Minute...

jman

Reaction score
Army engineers try to plug New Orleans' breached levees, as Louisiana's governor says the situation is growing more desperate and there is no choice but to abandon the city.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Asklesko said:
This is the end for New Orleans.

New Orleans will never be like it was before.

I guess it will be New New Orleans and that is not said as a wise crack.

The odd thing was it appeared they avoided that whole scenario the morning after the Hurricane passed only to see it get worse each day.

It really is sad.

jman

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
New Orleans will never be like it was before.

I guess it will be New New Orleans and that is not said as a wise crack.

The odd thing was it appeared they avoided that whole scenario the morning after the Hurricane passed only to see it get worse each day.

It really is sad.

I used to live there in the late 80's into the mid 90's. They were taking about the levees and pumping systems being out dated then. You always heard people talk about this happening. This was no surprise, it was an inevitability.

It is sad and tragic...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jman said:

I used to live there in the late 80's into the mid 90's. They were taking about the levees and pumping systems being out dated then. You always heard people talk about this happening. This was no surprise, it was an inevitability.

It is sad and tragic...

Yes I heard it when I lived close to there in Leesville and had a friend that lived in NOLA and that was in the start of the 90's.

Funny thing , or I guess sad thing, is that people just don't take that stuff seriously until it is too late.

Like you said they know it as a risk, then you had many people who stayed there because they did not think it would be that bad.

I saw one couple talking on the news that said they made it through one of the other bad storms so they figured they could this one....but then said they wished they would have never stayed.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I have never been to NO and unfortunately it doesn't sound like I'll ever go now. I would have had to find another way in other than that long arse bridge anyways.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
I have never been to NO and unfortunately it doesn't sound like I'll ever go now. I would have had to find another way in other than that long arse bridge anyways.
Man that bridge across the Pontchatrain was no punk. I hate driving over water to begin with and to have to do that to get to Slidell always scared me whenever I went there. The water was always right up to the edge of the bridge. The bridge was barely higher than the water level.

It's really, really sad. My friend's whole family except for her brother was able to get out safely. Her brother had to stay, because he's a guard for the jail or prison or something. I believe he's ok, otherwise, I would've heard something by now. Last year, when Ivan I believe was supposed to hit, her Mom stayed and rode it out and she got lucky. This year, she waited to the last possible minute to leave. She was able to get on the next to last flight to Hou out of NO before they shut the airport down.

Because Texas is a neighbor to LA, the state has opened it's doors to the hurricane victims. Alot of folks are offering free entry w/a LA ID to entertainment events. One of the major furniture retailers made his store available to the victims after hours. They can come in, shower, sleep, and get fed at an in-store restaurant for the night. Yeah they have to leave when doors open the next day, but at least they get to sleep comfortably.

Except for a small amount of price gouging by some hotels, folks here have really stepped up to the plate to offer hospitality to these victims. Most remember what it was like during Tropical Storm Allison, so they can somewhat relate to what these people are going thru.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but my heart really goes out to 'em.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Man that bridge across the Pontchatrain was no punk. I hate driving over water to begin with and to have to do that to get to Slidell always scared me whenever I went there. The water was always right up to the edge of the bridge. The bridge was barely higher than the water level.

It's really, really sad. My friend's whole family except for her brother was able to get out safely. Her brother had to stay, because he's a guard for the jail or prison or something. I believe he's ok, otherwise, I would've heard something by now. Last year, when Ivan I believe was supposed to hit, her Mom stayed and rode it out and she got lucky. This year, she waited to the last possible minute to leave. She was able to get on the next to last flight to Hou out of NO before they shut the airport down.

Because Texas is a neighbor to LA, the state has opened it's doors to the hurricane victims. Alot of folks are offering free entry w/a LA ID to entertainment events. One of the major furniture retailers made his store available to the victims after hours. They can come in, shower, sleep, and get fed at an in-store restaurant for the night. Yeah they have to leave when doors open the next day, but at least they get to sleep comfortably.

Except for a small amount of price gouging by some hotels, folks here have really stepped up to the plate to offer hospitality to these victims. Most remember what it was like during Tropical Storm Allison, so they can somewhat relate to what these people are going thru.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but my heart really goes out to 'em.

That is why I miss Dallas so much. The people in Texas are just true warm hearted people. Its the southern upbringing. Im orig from Oklahoma. Folks arond those parts just seem to be real family and human oriented. Just down right nice people. Way to step up again Texas. Kudos!!!

Im so still thinking of moving back. Great place. Great place to raise a family to.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just pulled this from Chron as an update to what Houston is doing. It's a pretty sad deal for sure.
---------
FEMA is providing the buses for the journey, and Houston's Metro buses will drive the refugees to shopping centers, parks and other locations during their stay. FEMA will reimburse the city and county for the cost of putting up the evacuees.

At a Houston news conference this morning, authorities emphasized that the Astrodome only will be available to Superdome refugees and not to the thousands of evacuees already in Houston.

The Red Cross, however, has already set up eight other shelters in the Houston area, and Texas officials also have been talking with Jefferson County officials about using the Ford Center in Beaumont as a longterm shelter for refugees stranded in campgrounds, hotels and other temporary quarters, said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for the Texas governor's office.

In the meantime, the Astrodome is turning away refugees who aren't part of the Superdome evacuation. That was bad news for 29-year-old Nureka Jacobs of New Orleans. This afternoon she sought shelter at the Dome for herself, five daughters age 5-10 and a 95-year-old woman Jacobs cares for.

She broke down crying when they all were turned away at the Kirby entrance.

"They're telling me to go," she said. "Go where? I don't have a home."

Jacobs said she had been staying at a motel on Cullen, but now was out of money and almost out of gasoline for her minivan.

"I've given Houston all I have to give. This is cold," she said.

She said she has tried to get a job here as a nurse's aide, but that at least one employer has turned her away because she couldn't produce her Social Security card, which she left behind in New Orleans.

She and her six companions crossed Kirby to a parking lot where good Samaritans were cooking hotdogs for storm evacuees.

In the same boat were Christy and Honald Salomon and five carloads of family members, including a 93-year-old great-great-grandmother.

The Salomons and their extended family have been staying at a Comfort Inn for $55 a night. News of a longer stay had the family searching for more permanent housing arrangements.

But they were turned away from the Astrodome a little before noon, with only a one-page information sheet of services offered by the Red Cross.

"People with no money will be able to stay here, but what about people like myself who have a little money to hold us?'' said Brian Salomon. "Where are we going to stay when we run out of money?"

"We might have to stay here and find a job,''said Honald Salomon.

Hiep Pham of New Orleans arrived at the Astrodome this morning looking for his sister, her husband and four children, but he was turned away.

"I've lost my family,'' he said. ``I really don't know if they are surviving or not.''

His sister's family remained in downtown New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit, while Pham headed west. Pham has slept in his vehicle at roadside parks and spent two nights at a motel. He, his wife, who is 8 ½ months pregnant, and a toddler are now headed to Cleveland, Ohio, to stay with a relative.

Eckels said long-term solutions for refugees are urgently needed, and the county will try and move evacuees on to other facilities that are more comfortable as soon as possible..

"We will be working on trying to move those people out, closer to home,'' Eckels said.

Bill Lokey, federal coordinating officer for FEMA, said his agency is exploring long-term shelter options for displaced people from across New Orleans. The agency is considering purchasing land where mobile homes and trailers could be placed. It is also considering buying apartment complexes and hotels that are in bankruptcy to house evacuees. FEMA is preparing to shelter more than a million people if needed.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said today it was important for Texas to be available to Louisiana's needy residents.

"We realize, but for the grace of God, we could be the ones who have this extraordinary need. These are our neighbors. These people are in need,'' Perry said.

Perry said Texas' public schools will open their doors to any student displaced by the hurricane. He said the Texas Education Agency will work with school districts to provide additional textbooks and funds for transportation and meals as they ``take on this additional pressure.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3332869

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Kudos to the city of Houston.....my opinion of the city is changing for the better :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Kudos to the city of Houston.....my opinion of the city is changing for the better :D
Traffic's still bad, though. :p: