Observations of Paulescu's opening punt and tackle

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on the game video, the punt returner had a touchdown if Paulescu had not tackled him. That would have been two of the last three games that the special teams allowed an opening return for a touchdown.

McBriar is one of our best players as he gives us an advantage in field position and makes 15-20 yard punt returns hurt less. However, you have to admit there was no way McBriar was squaring up and hitting the returner like Paulescu did.

Pat Watkins was pushed in the back on that punt while he was running down the field right before he turned in toward the returner.

The only players that had not overrun the returner were Paulescu and Bennett. However, in their defense, Paulescu admitted that he screwed up the kick and punted it straight down the middle when it was supposed to go to the right sideline. That explains why Watkins made no attempt to turn in until he was nearly even with the ball when the returner caught it as they are taught to maintain their lanes.

Bobby Carpenter was following the returner at half-speed about 7-10 yards away in parallel from a safe distance as to not hurt himself. In fact, when the returner broke two tackles, Carpenter was running parallel to the returner without even looking at him as if he expected someone else to get him.

-Reality

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If a punter making a good hit is what it takes to fire this team up, I'm all for it...even though I'd rather not give up a 20 yard return beforehand.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paulescu played safety in high school. Good to know he hasn't lost his tackling ability.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He needed to get a little lower... he looked like a bobble-head on that hit.

Kudos!!!

pancakeman

Reaction score
Am I the only one to think he kinda led with his helmet on that hit?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
You know his Tampa teammates have him crap for getting rocked by a punter. :laugh2:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The only players that had not overrun the returner were Paulescu and Bennett.

:laugh2: Tellus wants to run no further than where he sits on the sideline.......... I love this kid.

How much money has Carp. stole from Jerry? Seriously, I'm not even sure what he signed for anymore.

Seven

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2379978 said:
You know his Tampa teammates have him crap for getting rocked by a punter. :laugh2:

Oh! His mama had to talk him off the ledge with the all the crap he took. It ain't over either. This is a deinite weeker. :laugh2:

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
the video shows typical barbie c. out of position watching a big hit.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Not to pile on here, but if you notice just about every time Carp is on the field you will see him standing after the play is over. Not gonna go as far as to say he's afraid of contact, but i just don't think he's capable of getting into position to make anything happen.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pancakeman;2379964 said:
He most certainly did, but the officials were so shocked that a punter clocked someone that they forgot to throw the flag.:lmao2:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Reality;2379697 said:
Based on the game video, the punt returner had a touchdown if Paulescu had not tackled him. That would have been two of the last three games that the special teams allowed an opening return for a touchdown.

McBriar is one of our best players as he gives us an advantage in field position and makes 15-20 yard punt returns hurt less. However, you have to admit there was no way McBriar was squaring up and hitting the returner like Paulescu did.

Pat Watkins was pushed in the back on that punt while he was running down the field right before he turned in toward the returner.

The only players that had not overrun the returner were Paulescu and Bennett. However, in their defense, Paulescu admitted that he screwed up the kick and punted it straight down the middle when it was supposed to go to the right sideline. That explains why Watkins made no attempt to turn in until he was nearly even with the ball when the returner caught it as they are taught to maintain their lanes.

Bobby Carpenter was following the returner at half-speed about 7-10 yards away in parallel from a safe distance as to not hurt himself. In fact, when the returner broke two tackles, Carpenter was running parallel to the returner without even looking at him as if he expected someone else to get him.

-Reality

:lmao2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pancakeman;2379964 said:
No.

But you have to give him credit for sticking it in there.

juck

Reaction score
This team sucks at tackling especially the vets.The rookies tackle better.They are coming around though i hope.

Seven

Reaction score
juckie;2380294 said:
This team sucks at tackling especially the vets.The rookies tackle better.They are coming around though i hope.

Disagree on the rookie part. Scandrick and Jenkins BOTH suck at tackling. They've wiffed on TFL's and short gains. For now. I like both those kids. If we don't improve as the season progresses, start them every game. Next year they'll hit the ground running.