Off the Ball Linebacker Prospects

Aven8

Reaction score
My thoughts (so far).

Cooper. I wanted to be excited about him. I heard he was a special athlete. He always looks like he's going less than top speed, almost cautious. I was disappointed. I never saw the twitchiness or explosiveness. Need to watch more.

Trotter. Was one of the top LB prospects coming into the season. Seems top heavy and unbalanced.

Colson. Athleticism and size are pluses. His instincts aren't always there, and I see some Jaylon Smith-like guessing.

Payton Wilson shows some Fred Warner flashes. The medicals will be key for him.

Hopper is one of my favorite LB prospects. Sees balls, attacks ball. Wish he was bigger than 220 lbs.

Gray looks like a monster. I watch him flying all over the field and wonder why he's not being ranked higher.

A guy I love is Kentucky's Trevin Wallace. He was #11 on Feldman’s Freak List. Here's what Feldman mentioned:

"The former high school track star — who once jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean — is now up to 242 pounds, but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600."
I love Gray. He’s my top LB so far. He’s big and fast and has a ton of production for 3 years.

TheDank

Reaction score
My thoughts (so far).

Cooper. I wanted to be excited about him. I heard he was a special athlete. He always looks like he's going less than top speed, almost cautious. I was disappointed. I never saw the twitchiness or explosiveness. Need to watch more.

Trotter. Was one of the top LB prospects coming into the season. Seems top heavy and unbalanced.

Colson. Athleticism and size are pluses. His instincts aren't always there, and I see some Jaylon Smith-like guessing.

Hopper is one of my favorite LB prospects. Sees balls, attacks ball. Wish he was bigger than 220 lbs.

Gray looks like a monster. I watch him flying all over the field and wonder why he's not being ranked higher.

A guy I love is Kentucky's Trevin Wallace. He was #11 on Feldman’s Freak List. Here's what Feldman mentioned:

"The former high school track star — who once jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean — is now up to 242 pounds, but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600."
How has there been no hype for Wallace anywhere else I’ve looked. My first time hearing that name, went and watched his game against FL…. Guy can ball. Reminds me of Nick Bolton on the Chiefs and is exactly what we need. Great find! Now I have to go watch his other games.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My thoughts (so far).

You know the Cowboys always target those athletic freaks, he certainly will be on their radar.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
McClay big on that Sparq deal or whatever it is….
My issue is, don't care about athletic testing, but more about instincts with the linebacker position. We saw a player like Bruce Carter being the most athletic player on the entire team, yet he was a very average linebacker.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They better take the best player available at 24 or trade back a little bit. The best player available is likely not a linebacker. The 1st round is strong this year. Brugler thinks that there should be around 25 players with a 1st round grade.

The Cowboys should sign a good linebacker in free agency and they should sign a running back as well. I favor signing Derrick Henry. I would like that and drafting the center Jackson Powers-Johnson. I think Powers-Johnson gives them a solid upgrade at center and it would get the running game going especially if Henry gives them something.
PLEASE TRADE BACK!!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I like the idea of using Cooper in a Parsons-style hybrid role. Don't love him as a linebacker, but he's a high-octane athlete. And athleticism matters more at edge rusher than any other position in football.

WRT Trotter, he injured his hammy in summer camp and was pretty gimpy coming back. I think he is more athletic than what he put on tape this year... the Combine will be big for him.

I am kind of liking Liafau this year. He's just a really clean projection as a flow-to-the-ball Will. High floor, low ceiling kind of LB, but after the Cowboys have drafted the exact opposite for a decade-plus, I'm OK with that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't pay attention to the order, comes from Draft Buzz. Also there might not be some prospects listed.

1-Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M-modern day linebacker
2-Jermaih Trotter Jr. Clemson-not great against the run?
3-Payton Wilson NC State-major injury concern?
4-Junior Colson Michigan-great size, questionable instincts?
5-Marist Liufau Notre Dame
6-Tommy Eichenberg Ohio State-lack of size/athleticism?
7-Cedric Gray North Carolina
8-Ty'Ron Harper Missouri
9-Edefuan Ulofoshio Washington
10-Jaylan Ford Texas
I have no issues punting this draft at LB. I think FA is a much better option for what this team needs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have no issues punting this draft at LB. I think FA is a much better option for what this team needs.
Clearly it looks like they don't have another choice. Sign a good fa starter and add depth if the draft breaks out that way. Don't force over drafting cause of need.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like the idea of using Cooper in a Parsons-style hybrid role. Don't love him as a linebacker, but he's a high-octane athlete. And athleticism matters more at edge rusher than any other position in football.

WRT Trotter, he injured his hammy in summer camp and was pretty gimpy coming back. I think he is more athletic than what he put on tape this year... the Combine will be big for him.

I am kind of liking Liafau this year. He's just a really clean projection as a flow-to-the-ball Will. High floor, low ceiling kind of LB, but after the Cowboys have drafted the exact opposite for a decade-plus, I'm OK with that.
100% what I like about Coop is he just makes a ton of plays behind the LOS. Like you said, he can play somewhat of a Parsons rookie season type role just probably more LBr than pass rusher.

John813

Reaction score
Brugler made an issue of Wilson having “double digit” surgeries but that info is almost clickbait.

Players have routine off-season surgeries all the time to clean up frayed ligaments, remove scar tissue, et cetera. The real proof is in the pudding; how many games are those surgeries causing him to lose.

An “injury prone” player with double-digit surgeries doesn’t play 11-12 games per season for 4 years:

IMG-1194.jpg

Yup. He's had some injuries but it's nothing that at least from how he ended his college career that would give me concerns. No bad head/neck injuries, severe leg injuries, etc.
If he drops a round or 2 due to that it would suck for him but possibly make him a steal for a team

UncleBlazer

Reaction score
Yup. He's had some injuries but it's nothing that at least from how he ended his college career that would give me concerns. No bad head/neck injuries, severe leg injuries, etc.
If he drops a round or 2 due to that it would suck for him but possibly make him a steal for a team
He’s tore the same acl twice and had season ending surgery on his shoulder. He’ll be 24 before the season even starts. Great player but also pause on the player.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If not for the injuries Wilson would probably be a 1st rounder. Like the player, but the injury history is a bit much for taste.