Off To A Productive Start

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Building up the trenches was the primary need for the Cowboys, so I'm fine with the 1st 2 picks.

Yes, I prefer a DT or strong-side LB as a 2nd round draft pick, but a stout DE is a good choice too.

Next, they still need a run-stopping DT, a LB, and a FS. So I hope they use their draft picks on these pieces.

A RB? That would be a waste of a draft pick with McCarthy's stretch-run-based running attack. As long as they're using McCarthy's playbook, this will be a passing offense. So it's all on Dak as long as McCarthy is here, which is why the 1st-round LT pick makes complete sense. The Cowboys can pick up any RB to get 2 to 4 yards on those boring stretch runs, and tosses...so it's more important for the run blocking to be improved more than the RB position itself. Once McCarthy's gone, then consider spending draft capital on a RB. Until then, they should continue to focus on stopping the run, improving the o-line, and finding a bonafide FS.

For now, they can trade for a middle-tier or young, unproven RB and/or WR later, or pick up someone from someone's practice squad for cheap.

So for me...the Cowboys are moving in the right direction.

:starspin:

Wilson

Reaction score
I agree with you on the need for a run-stopping DT and solidifying the O-line to improve the running game.

With that said, I'd disagree that the draft isn't the place to pick up a running back. The plan would be to do so in round four, possibly five. Unfortunately, we don't have a pick in round four, so that leaves us picking one in round five. I'm concerned that the talent pool will dry up in round four.

We still need a DT. They would have been better off getting one in round two or three. Instead, they drafted a run-stopping DE, which I'm fine with since they likely considered him BPA. I'm wondering if they could find a way to move up to get an RB since it's likely there will be a run on them in round four.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I just don't believe this particular offense needs a stud RB more than a robust o line. And definitely not more than a DT, LB and FS.

This offense will never be built around around a atrong running game, not with McCarthy and his playbook and play call tendencies. Once he's gone, find a stud RB and an OC who will use them effectively.

For now, there's more pressing needs.

Carson

Reaction score
I just don't believe this particular offense needs a stud RB more than a robust o line. And definitely not more than a DT, LB and FS.

This offense will never be built around around a atrong running game, not with McCarthy and his playbook and play call tendencies. Once he's gone, find a stud RB and an OC who will use them effectively.

Safeties are locked. Wilson, Hooker, Izzy, Bell, Thomas.

We could use a Kristian Boyd and Bucky Irving today

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I don’t think they need a stud rb but I’m amazed that the position has been completely neglected thus far. In 2023 the goal was to lean on the run and they tried early in the year until they finally figured out that they were simply not good at it.

I will say that I’m coming around to the oline they are putting together, but I think McCarthy wants to run the ball more than he will be able to this year if they can’t find at least a league average starter.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don’t think they need a stud rb but I’m amazed that the position has been completely neglected thus far. In 2023 the goal was to lean on the run and they tried early in the year until they finally figured out that they were simply not good at it.

I will say that I’m coming around to the oline they are putting together, but I think McCarthy wants to run the ball more than he will be able to this year if they can’t find at least a league average starter.
I'm not surprised they are ignoring it...it feels like a knee jerk reaction to getting burned with zeke...they are probably not capable of understanding between the pick they used on zeke and his contract and going with basically udfas that there is something inbetween...aka a mid round pick on a player with upside....unfortunately most all of those rbs are gone now

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Building up the trenches was the primary need for the Cowboys, so I'm fine with the 1st 2 picks.

Yes, I prefer a DT or strong-side LB as a 2nd round draft pick, but a stout DE is a good choice too.

Next, they still need a run-stopping DT, a LB, and a FS. So I hope they use their draft picks on these pieces.

A RB? That would be a waste of a draft pick with McCarthy's stretch-run-based running attack. As long as they're using McCarthy's playbook, this will be a passing offense. So it's all on Dak as long as McCarthy is here, which is why the 1st-round LT pick makes complete sense. The Cowboys can pick up any RB to get 2 to 4 yards on those boring stretch runs, and tosses...so it's more important for the run blocking to be improved more than the RB position itself. Once McCarthy's gone, then consider spending draft capital on a RB. Until then, they should continue to focus on stopping the run, improving the o-line, and finding a bonafide FS.

For now, they can trade for a middle-tier or young, unproven RB and/or WR later, or pick up someone from someone's practice squad for cheap.

So for me...the Cowboys are moving in the right direction.

:starspin:
I think a solid RB is necessary, just to help the offense with play action. If defenses aren't worried about your running game, it makes it harder to have a passing game.

I'm not saying we need a stud RB, but someone who makes defenses stay at home, just in case would be good.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The boys nailed beebee. Solid pick, highly productive pass blocker. The 1st 2 picks were based on their measurable and projections just like taco and mazi but neither are plug n play guys who should start right away.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Day 3, and I still like the direction. Drafting with some sense, based on Who This Team Is...and what this team desperately needs. With this team's present construction lead by McCarthy, a RB is a luxury item. This ain't a ground and pound team, just need a complimentary running game. A solid o line can give us that.

It starts with the trenches on both sides of the ball.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the discipline within the picks, whether they work out or not.