Off Topic: I'm ANGRY and Hurting! Rita

Fernando Fernandez

Reaction score
Sorry guys...I think I am losing it.

I live in Edna, close to Port La Vaca, Victoria area.

just got told by the new Apartment manager that my SLIDING GLASS DOOR will not be boarded up during Rita! that means that an area about 8'x10' will be fully exposed to the high winds and anything blowing in them...at about 100 plus miles an hour!

guess what the law states...THEY DON'T HAVE TO! Get Renters insurance. Well yeah...but don't I have the right to protect my exposed door? I have no protection!

THIS LAW HAS TO CHANGE FOR TENANTS WITH SLIDING GLASS DOORS!!

Darn them! Can u believe that? I happen to have the ONLY sliding glass door on the complex! AND they can't help me out! AARGGGGGGH!

The door was was covered with plywood during Claudette a few years ago...and luckily for us, flying pieces of wood and furniture keep banging into the plywood during the entire storm! otherwise...!

I didn't plan to leave. my family-wife and two kids, age 6 and 10 will be braving this one out! I am scared guys.

I feel like throwing up I am so sick!!!

sorry

Kangaroo

Reaction score
The next thing to do is tape the glass sliding door take a matress or 2 stand it up in the way move some furniture in front of it and stay out of that room.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
First let me say good luck and I hope the storm goes a different direction..

Can't you cover it up yourself? go get some plywood and cover it yourself. Cover it from the inside if need be.........

aikemirv

Reaction score
Get your plywood and have it ready and put it up before the storm hits. What are they going to do - come take it off in the middle of the storm. I would doubt that. Are they going to evict you for keeping your family safe - doubt that too.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
How about taking some internal doors off their hinges and using them? You can always replace them later - can buy them at home depot for $30 or so.

Good luck!

Fernando Fernandez

Reaction score
felling alot better now!

Read all your posts, shed a few tears then hugged my kids...that made the difference!

I'nm on my way to buy plywood, screws, a drill and some 2x4's if i can find them.

They can evict you if you put up wood on the outside, it is a violation...HOWEVER I can put the plywood on the inside and use screws to hold the wood in place...much like using screws on the wall to hang pictures, etc. Will add that heavy guage plastic too.

I'm gonna have to make a frame all around for strenght then couple of 2x4's to support the middle...should worlk, right?

i pray i can still get some plywood or suitable...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I work for an apartment company and I can tell you even when I lived on one of our properties I had to have renters insurance. It's the only way to protect yourself.

Good luck and keep the family safe

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I would imagine Texas has the same crummy building codes as other hurricane prone states that aren't big on government regulation. Have you checked what kind of winds your apartment can withstand? I don't know how else to do this other than to be blunt. If you live that close to the coast, you should be worried about your building, not the window. Get out of dodge if the eye is headed directly for you. It's the only way to keep your family safe. If this hurricane continues to grow, it's going to be like nothing you've ever seen. A class 4 with the danger of class 5 is going to destroy your city. Don't compare this to Claudette if the intensity of Rita stays the same or speeds up. If the eye wall is headed straight towards you, (as of right now you're on the NE side of it too in the predictions) leave immediately.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Fernando Fernandez said:
I didn't plan to leave. my family-wife and two kids, age 6 and 10 will be braving this one out! I am scared guys.

I feel like throwing up I am so sick!!!

sorry

All I can say is your an adult, but you have a responsibility to keep your kids safe. Is staying there whats best for them? Think about that. I bet the over 1000 people who died from Katrinia if they where alive today would tell you to leave. even if you have to sleep in your car for a few days its better than taking the chance of dying. But thats JMO

DallasDomination

Reaction score
SAfety of the family comes first.

Get that sliding door boarded up on your own.

Good luck my friend.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Total mad house here at Harris County as we are getting ready for the storm, of course being a county worker we have not been told that we can evacuate as normal they will wait till the very last second.

Duane

Reaction score
We've got Thursday and Friday off here in South Montgomery County. My brother who teaches for HISD also has the rest of the week off.

k19

Reaction score
Best of luck to you all. Stay safe and let COMMON SENSE be your guide

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
My sister is in Edna too and they're evacuating to Mcallen along with us down here. I hope it doesn't hit us bad. :(

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
My sister is in Edna too and they're evacuating to Mcallen along with us down here. I hope it doesn't hit us bad. :(
Good luck and be safe

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
thanks yeag , we'll need it...we just got mandatory evacuations here so we'll be leaving ...dont know where yet though :(